MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Apple releases "MacBook Air": Thinnest Laptop

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Apple releases "MacBook Air": Thinnest Laptop

Postby Wet_Pavement » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:12 pm

An excerpt from Steve Jobs' presentation at macWorld Expo: "MacBook Air is 0.16" to 0.76". The thickest part of the MacBook Air is thinner than the thinnest part of the Sony. It fits inside a envelope. We thought 3 lbs is a good target weight, but there was too much compromise with the other features. Most people think of Sony TZ series when they think of thin notebooks. Competition specs: 3 lbs, .8-1.2 inches, 11 or 12" display, miniature keyboard, and slower processor."

$1799, 13.3" screen, 2 GB Memory standard, 5 hours of Battery Life, No optical drive, but a Superdrive accessory is available for $99. Also, software comes with the MacBook Air that allows you to "borrow" a Mac or PCs optical drive. 802.11n + Bluetooth 2.1/EDR Other features: 45 Watt MagSafe, 1 USB 2.0 port, Micro-DVI, Audio Out

Check out www.Apple.com and other Apple related websites: http://www.macrumorslive.com/
http://www.appleinsider.com/
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Thank god Im not the only nerd on here who was sitting reading Keynote updates. I'm am totally stoked about the Time Capsule though. I was just about to buy and Airport Extreme AND a 500GB hard drive.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:55 pm

It bothers me that one can't even watch a DVD on it without an external drive. No firewire. (Can it even be started in target mode?) Worst, I've heard the battery isn't user-replaceable!

Pretty, though, and the track-pad gestures are nice.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm

Macbook Air: the world most quickly broken notebook

Awesome as it looks, I'm going to wait a while for some blog to smash one or break it open to see the durability. its thin as a pencil, it might snap as easily.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby slake » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:58 pm

I suppose no one likes hauling around electronic bricks, but doesn't this continual winnowing just eventually mean more bulky carrying cases? It could fit into an envelop but won't fold? Why buy a laptop if you need to be so delicate it limits where you can take it?
slake

Postby mrak » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:14 pm

fennel wrote:Worst, I've heard the battery isn't user-replaceable!

You heard right. Apple has brought the worst "feature" of the iPod and iPhone to their computer line.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:14 pm

I was really hoping for a tablet or a 3G iPhone but I love the idea of the Time Capsule. Also I very much doubt this thing is as fragile as you are assuming it is. Rarely does Apple release a product without covering those sort of obvious bases.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:59 am

The external Super Drive which connects by USB port is $99.

The Time Capsule is pretty cool.

As far as replacing the battery goes, anyone who's about to drop $1800 plus on an ultra thin laptop probably isn't concerned about replacing the battery right away. My point is that it's aimed at high end computer users who have the extra money to throw around.

I doubt it's particularly breakable. The aluminum exterior casing is probably pretty hard. I mean you probably could break it if you really wanted to. But I doubt it would be all that easy.

It's probably as impressive as it seems-- light, nice to the touch, beautiful, etc. Expensive little toy.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:20 pm

But can I get it in black for an extra $300?

And how much for whatever protective case I'm going to need to overcome the patented Feather-Scratch Technology that Apple uses to coat every surface of every fucking device they shit out these days?

Is there a belt clip for the DVD-RW drive you'll need to cart along, or are you just supposed to stow it in your cargo pants next to your cell phone?

Anwers, Apple. The rabid consumerist iDiots need answers.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Garimba » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:43 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:Is there a belt clip for the DVD-RW drive you'll need to cart along, or are you just supposed to stow it in your cargo pants next to your cell phone?

I recommend the STICK IT UP YOUR ASS utility that Apple created especially for needle dicks like you.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Hey, where's Beer Moon?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:15 pm

www.colorwarepc.com If you want it or for that matter anything else in Black, Pink, Turquoise etc. etc. I also think you will find very shortly that the optical drive is becoming less and less necessary. It's data. Data can be transfered a lot of different ways other than on a disk. I would personally buy a souped up MacBook and not this AIR model. And outside of the chrome on the back of my iPod all of my Mac stuff is pretty damned scratch resistant. Now close down all your PC anti virus pop ups and spam filters and pop blockers, restart 12 times and respond.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Garimba wrote:
lordofthecockrings wrote:Is there a belt clip for the DVD-RW drive you'll need to cart along, or are you just supposed to stow it in your cargo pants next to your cell phone?

I recommend the STICK IT UP YOUR ASS utility that Apple created especially for needle dicks like you.

Is that on the same system disk as the I'M SUCH A GULLIBLE FUCK I'LL BUY ANYTHING APPLE THE MINUTE IT COMES OUT AND CHALK IT UP TO EARLY ADOPTER COOL WHEN THEY CUT THE PRICE IN HALF ON ME IN 3 MONTHS iLoser brainware upgrade that's keeping them afloat financially?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:53 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Now close down all your PC anti virus pop ups and spam filters and pop blockers, restart 12 times and respond.

How do you know I'm not running Ubuntu or some shit over here, little fanboy?

Or maybe I'm working on a Mac right now and like everything about it except for all the slobbering little cheerleaders who can't just mind their own fucking biz and let PC users do their thing without being all fuckheady about it.

You don't know, do you?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm

I don't really care about "the thinnest ever" gimmck and would rather hang on to my MacBook Pro with a 250BG drive and the whole shebang. It's not exactly 3 ft. thick in the first place, and it's no big deal to pop it into a Timbuk2 bag and take it on Muni or BART.

Although the product rollouts tend to be viewed as sexiest, I think of bigger consequence to Apple's long-term business and cash flow is its entry into the (instant) video rental market via an iTunes store that enjoys a huge market share.

Clearly, the original Netflix model of customers waiting for the snail mail to arrive is already on its way out and that company, like Apple, is quickly ramping up its content for immediate rental via broadband. I think Netflix currently has 6000 titles and Apple is stocking its virtual shelves with the major studios over the coming month. If Apple provides a better user experience and grabs a big chunk of that market, it'll be a way bigger deal than whether its current laptop is .67" or .265"
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games