MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Apple releases "MacBook Air": Thinnest Laptop

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:31 pm

So what does Vista offer developers that, say, Windows XP does not?

Please describe what a developer platform entails.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:48 pm

I would wager it depends on what you're developing for. If you were say developing for Mac OS... Also I'm pretty sure most of the audio/video software starts out developed for Mac and then makes its way over to PC. Adobe, Digidesign, MOTU etc.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:50 pm

WinFX and Directx 10. WinFX (aka .net framework 3.0) can be downloaded for XP, but my statement was more about Vista and windows in general vs OS X. I prefer OS X as a user... it just doesn't appeal to me as a developer in the slightest, nor as a gamer for that matter. But the lack of good games for OSX is not the fault of the OS.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Balmerposts on TDP?

I had no idea.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:37 pm

DMeister wrote:Balmerposts on TDP?

I had no idea.

I was going to say Jim Jones.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Apple has some pretty backward ideas about how to get a game going, especially on iPod. Sega ported the original Sonic The Hedgehog and then sent it to Apple. Apple then finished development themselves and tuned the controls. The final, crappy game was the result of Sega not being able to over see the entire process.

Who would make games on a platform where quality control goes out the window and another company comes in at the last step and messes with everything?

I think the lack of gaming on Mac is largely due to marketshare, but with iPod they've got marketshare to spare and still can't turn it into a gaming platform.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Shipley wrote:Apple has some pretty backward ideas about how to get a game going, especially on iPod. Sega ported the original Sonic The Hedgehog and then sent it to Apple. Apple then finished development themselves and tuned the controls. The final, crappy game was the result of Sega not being able to over see the entire process.

Who would make games on a platform where quality control goes out the window and another company comes in at the last step and messes with everything?

I think the lack of gaming on Mac is largely due to marketshare, but with iPod they've got marketshare to spare and still can't turn it into a gaming platform.

Dude, have you ever *used* an iPod? The interface simply is not designed for gaming. Which is good, since it isn't a gaming platform.

It's like saying "this car isn't a very good boat."
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:01 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Dude, have you ever *used* an iPod? The interface simply is not designed for gaming. Which is good, since it isn't a gaming platform.

It's basically a D pad with a button. I believe that is actually the exact sort of controller that crazy dude at nintendo would love. Didn't he once say something along the lines of, the best controller would be one with one button only?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:09 pm

TAsunder wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:Dude, have you ever *used* an iPod? The interface simply is not designed for gaming. Which is good, since it isn't a gaming platform.

It's basically a D pad with a button. I believe that is actually the exact sort of controller that crazy dude at nintendo would love. Didn't he once say something along the lines of, the best controller would be one with one button only?

It's not the spatial layout of the interface that's the problem.

Pick up a video iPod and fuck around with the controls. You'll see what I mean right away.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:36 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Pick up a video iPod and fuck around with the controls. You'll see what I mean right away.

I agree, pick one up and try to navigate. Totally non gamer ready. It's slow/fast with good/poor response.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:54 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:....all the slobbering little cheerleaders who can't just mind their own fucking biz....

See the thing is I started this thread just to share info about the recent Mac release.

You're the fuck-wad who can't "mind your own business." It's the dumb fucks like you who are playing the little game of "let's spoil the Apple lovers party." You're the only slobbering little anti-cheerleader cheerleader getting their rocks off here-- you and the other PC guy.

Like I initially dubbed you: lordofthedumbfucks.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:20 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:See the thing is I started this thread just to share info about the recent Mac release.

Yeah, and everybody who gives a fuck, as well as thousands who don't had already gotten the promotional email from Apple.

No, you're a goofy little fanboy who deserves to be ridiculed.

You're the fuck-wad who can't "mind your own business."

Yeah, I poked some fun at the Mac Behemoth. Oh no! What a horrid abuse of an internet messageboard!

Stupid little fucking twit.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:25 pm

if it's not thin enough to fit in my asshole then i want nothing to do with it. there, i said it!
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:39 am

LoopBo wrote:if it's not thin enough to fit in my asshole then i want nothing to do with it. there, i said it!

Is that why you're still single?
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:56 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:You're the only slobbering little anti-cheerleader cheerleader getting their rocks off here-- you and the other PC guy.

Am I the "other PC guy"? I came in here to talk about macs too, but I couldn't resist replying to some of the more idiotic assertions in the thread that seem to indicate that macs are the second coming of christ and only those bound directly for hell would prefer a pc over a mac.

Unfortunately what they announced doesn't seem terribly interesting to me so we are left discussing how thin something has to be to fit into which orifice.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games