MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Apple releases "MacBook Air": Thinnest Laptop

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby corncernedcitizen » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:08 pm

Apple zealots (on BOTH sides of the like-em-hate-em divide) are useless and contribute nothing.

You're not cool by lapping up all their shit, and you're not 'rebelling' by decrying them as some epic consumer consumer monolith with sheep as their install base.

Apple puts out snazzy consumer electronics. They're slightly more expensive, but you're paying for style and polish. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop acting like they're more culturally relevant than they are.
corncernedcitizen

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Netflix may not be instant, but its a better deal. DVD is a far more versatile format since it can be played in dozens of different set top boxes, games machines, and portable players. Not to mention the fact that you can rent unlimited movies each month. after 5 rentals, Apple's movie service approach's netflix cost, and I can easily go through 5 discs in a week with a writers strike keeping good programs off the air, crap in the movie theaters, weather too cold to enjoy for more than a few seconds at a time.

if iTunes introduced an all you can eat model for a $20-25 price point, they'd have a buyer. Right now the practical physical media still has the advantage.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Shipley wrote:Right now the practical physical media still has the advantage.
On pricepoint, yes. On instant gratification, spontanaity and not having to plan, not having to return something to a video store or mailbox, being able to watch it not only on TV or laptop - but on your iphone or ipod on the train/bus home or on a plane ride to Granny's in Seattle, and being the environmentally friendly business model instead of the one generating waste....on these the "physical media" has its ass handed to itself.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:49 am

The truth of the matter is that aesthetics is one of the reasons people like their electronic devices. The smallness, thinness of the MacBook Air makes it very appealing to a lot of people, and for practical reasons, too. A business traveler would love it.

But people like lordofthecockrings don't get it. Yeah, people like things for aesthetic reasons. Oh and Apple makes good computers too.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:20 am

Personally I would be happy with the biggest ugliest tower ever known as long as it ran OSX. Thats why I like Mac. I don't have to deal with Windows.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:44 am

fisticuffs wrote:Personally I would be happy with the biggest ugliest tower ever known as long as it ran OSX. Thats why I like Mac. I don't have to deal with Windows.

Well, yeah, that's a great reason. But aesthetics is important to human beings, too, is all I'm saying.

Funny thing is that even using emulating software like Parallels, Windows runs faster on a Mac than on a PC.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:11 am

Windows had an edge over the Mac circa OS 8 and 9, if you were running it on the right machine.

In the world of OSX and Vista, anyone who actually thinks Windows is making the superior OS is simply uninformed.

It's fine to prefer Windows if you are used to it; it's another thing to claim that it's the superior OS.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:14 am

Vista is the superior platform for developers and that is why I prefer it. Now I just need to figure out how many thousands of dollars in software for Groove and Visual Studio I need to make cool looking apps.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:53 am

Visual studio is very a nice development platform if you are writing C#.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:28 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:But people like lordofthecockrings don't get it.

I get one thing. Pissing off members of the Cult of Apple is about as hard as shooting monkeys in a barrel. But a fuck of a lot more fun.

You have not a fiber of a sense of humor do you? You should change your handle to Wet Blanket.

Oh and Apple makes good computers too.

Yep, they make fine computers. It just so happens that those same computers have turned out some of the most annoying and predictable end-users in the history of computer science.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:34 am

In LotCR's defense, he could have been describing me when he wrote this:

lordofthecockrings wrote:...I'm working on a Mac right now and like everything about it except for all the slobbering little cheerleaders who can't just mind their own fucking biz and let PC users do their thing without being all fuckheady about it.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:44 am

TAsunder wrote:Vista is the superior platform for developers and that is why I prefer it.

Hah. That is some pure comedy right there.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:47 am

juanton wrote:
TAsunder wrote:Vista is the superior platform for developers and that is why I prefer it.

Hah. That is some pure comedy right there.

Good counter argument. :roll:
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:01 pm

How could I possibly argue or present any sort of counterpoint? You seem to know a lot.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:24 pm

At least, enough to make an informed decision instead of a knee-jerk fanboy reply.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games