MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Yes, you CAN replace the MacBook Air battery yourself

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Yes, you CAN replace the MacBook Air battery yourself

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:04 am

A standard size-0 type philips is all that's required to open the MacBook Air. The replacement process is described:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/18/mac ... t-trivial/
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Yes, you CAN replace the MacBook Air battery yourself

Postby mrak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 pm

On the one hand, I'd still prefer that Apple sell the battery to consumers; on the other hand, third-party batteries will be available, just as they are for other laptops.

On the one hand, I'd like it if consumers were allowed to replace the battery without committing a warranty-voiding act; on the other hand, the one-year warranty will have expired before the built-in battery is likely to fail.

So I wouldn't go so far as to call this good news. It's good enough, I guess.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:23 pm

This assumes that the average Mac user is capable of using a screwdriver without putting an eye out, which is a highly specious supposition, I'd wager.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:10 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:This assumes that the average Mac user is capable of using a screwdriver without putting an eye out, which is a highly specious supposition, I'd wager.

By contrast, some others have the particular knack for using them to dig themselves into a deep hole — from which they can see only a small circle of daylight.

...sadly, it takes more than a phillips screwdriver to add an optical drive, or ethernet or firewire ports. This isn't a computer so much as an appliance. A pretty Bic notebook.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:36 am

fennel wrote:...sadly, it takes more than a phillips screwdriver to add an optical drive, or ethernet or firewire ports. This isn't a computer so much as an appliance. A pretty Bic notebook.

You can buy an external Super Drive for an extra $99. Also, if you already own another Mac-- which a lot of people who buy this will-- you can just wirelessly transfer music, photos, movies, programs, etc. So most users don't really need an external drive.

As a friend of mine said, who needs a drive anyway?

You can use the USB 2.0 ethernet adaptor if you want ethernet.

True, no firewire.

And the SSD hard drive is pretty amazing. It will last much longer than regular hard drives and should greatly increase the battery life. It's also incredibly sturdy compared to regular hard drives. A friend described it as "drop-kick sturdy."

Hell, yeah, it's an ultra portable, lightweight computer.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:01 am

So this voids the warranty, or no?

I can't imagine that borrowing someone's drive is something that's going to happen in the real world all that often for the average laptop owner on the road. Seems about as likely as sharing music between two zunes.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:26 am

Remember when Apple stopped putting floppy drives on it's computers? Innovation is scary I know but with higher speed wireless networking and portable hard disk/flash media I can see this catching on.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:10 am

fisticuffs wrote:Remember when Apple stopped putting floppy drives on it's computers? Innovation is scary I know but with higher speed wireless networking and portable hard disk/flash media I can see this catching on.

At the time they removed floppy drives, they had been out of use for 3-5 years. In this case, the optical drive wasn't removed because it isn't needed, it was removed to provide a built-in inconvenience intended to funnel users to online services. Creepy.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:21 am

fennel wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Remember when Apple stopped putting floppy drives on it's computers? Innovation is scary I know but with higher speed wireless networking and portable hard disk/flash media I can see this catching on.

At the time they removed floppy drives, they had been out of use for 3-5 years. In this case, the optical drive wasn't removed because it isn't needed, it was removed to provide a built-in inconvenience intended to funnel users to online services. Creepy.

What will all the MS Office Products use as their "SAVE" icon then?
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Return to Technology & Video Games