MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Export iPod playlist

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Export iPod playlist

Postby dogmeat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:57 pm

First of all, iTunes sucks balls.

I lost an iTunes playlist on my computer, but I figured it would be alright since that playlist is already loaded onto my iPod. I thought I'd be able to take that playlist from the iPod and drop it into my iTunes library. Now just to clarify, I'm not talking about exporting songs from my iPod. I'm talking about a playlist. A list of songs organized into a list.

I've tried several applications that claim to be able to export playlists, but they export the songs. I already have the songs. I just don't care to reassemble the playlist. This was a rather huge playlist.

So does anyone have a solution?
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 am

How do you "lose" a playlist off of iTunes? You make it sound like it fell out of your pocket accidentally.

Unless your playlist is humantic, just suck it up and reassemble it. Even if it's 100 songs, it doesn't take that long. Create the playlist, find the song, right click on it and export it to the named playlist. Takes a whole 10 seconds per song with the iPod sitting in front of you to guide you.

Probably in the time you've spent searching the internet for those applications and downloading them and trying them out, you could have had the list reassembled. Add to that the time you've taken to whine here and create this post....
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:17 am

Have a look at iPod RIP. Worked great when I needed to recover playlists a couple years and several versions of iTunes ago. I don't know how well it's aged, but it looks as if it still exports playlists.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:23 am

when i plug in an ipod, I can usually see the playlists in iTunes. drag & drop don't work?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am

PEBKC
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby Dark Meat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:04 pm

DMeister wrote:PEBKC

Yes, very helpful you are. Why take the time to type a snotty response when that same effort could have turned up an answer in Google?

http://www.macworld.com/article/42469/2 ... treet.html

And yes, iTunes is one product for which Apple deserves to take some serious flack.
Dark Meat

Postby DMeister » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Anyone who has problems operating iTunes and then searching google for answers should stop using computers.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:38 pm

PTBAJ, eh?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:47 pm

And yes, iTunes is one product for which Apple deserves to take some serious flack.

I think its just the way it works is Mac-Like that on a PC it doesn't fit in. iTunes is rock solid if you just let it do what it does. I have a friend who just hated it because it put all his music in the iTunes folder and organized it for him.He wanted to create all the folders and organize the files himself the way he wanted it (Album/Artist). I told him thats exactly what iTunes was doing and he should just let it do it and delete the old files or simply turn off that feature if it bothered him so much. On a Mac it doesn't so much matter what folder your files are in.

Anyone who has problems operating iTunes and then searching google for answers should stop using computers.

True. Very true.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dark Meat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:35 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I think its just the way it works is Mac-Like that on a PC it doesn't fit in.

Where did the OP refer to his using the PC version?

I've used them both. Yes, the PC version's interface might be a bit different from the user's experience, but it's not form that's lacking, it's function.

For example, iTunes for the PC doesn't hold a candle to Media Monkey, which works great with the iPod and gives the user substantially more control (file drag and drop from iPod to PC, etc).

iTunes is rock solid if you just let it do what it does.

And that's precisely the objection that I hear about it from PC and Mac users alike. Apple doesn't want to give the user the same control that a lot of other players/applications offer. Tell me again why I shouldn't be able to pull a music file off my iPod even when I have disk use enabled? You'd think Apple would take a look at what 3rd party developers are doing and work those desirable functions into their product. But no, iTunes 7.0 isn't really an improvement on its predecessor.

True. Very true.

Now you guys just sound like jerks. The man never said he had a problem using iTunes correctly. His gripe is that it doesn't let him do something that, in his opinion (and countless others), should be a basic feature.
Last edited by Dark Meat on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Meat

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:35 pm

I've been using iTunes since it was called SoundJam MP (and cost money!) and never had a problem with operation.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dark Meat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:38 pm

Shipley wrote:I've been using iTunes since it was called SoundJam MP (and cost money!) and never had a problem with operation.

So what? Have you ever accomplished what the original poster is asking?

Is there something about iTunes that causes one's reading comprehension abilities to deteriorate?
Dark Meat

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 pm

I think what you're running into is that the iPod is a media player and Apple wouldn't have rights to sell all the music they sell if it was a media sharer. Now if there's PC software out there Media Monkey or whatever it is that's basically piracy. Not saying I agree with it but thats the way things have been going down. Even ripping your CD into iTunes is considered theft right now. Apple walks a thin line between what their consumers want and what they can do and still have the record companies blessing. That's why you can't transfer from your iPod to your iTunes that only. They didnt leave it out because its an inferior product or because they just didnt think of that. My guess is the Monkey doesn't have the rights to sell ANY music. Hence their ability to "Hack" the iPod to allow people to share music. Where does the Zune stand on this. Not that I expect anyone to actually know anyone with a Zune.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dark Meat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:30 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Even ripping your CD into iTunes is considered theft right now. Apple walks a thin line between what their consumers want and what they can do and still have the record companies blessing.

I'd say it's a stretch to suggest that ripping a CD into iTunes is considered theft. I think that issue is now being considered by the courts, but plenty of us consider CD ripping (of albums we own, anyway) to be fair use.

Anyway, why should it be that iTunes allows CD ripping (which it does) if the companies pressing CDs consider that theft? If such an "illegal" feature exists, why not drag-n-drop playlists (which aren't even copyrighted material in the first place, but simply a list of files)?

So you're suggesting the reason iTunes sucks is that the record companies suck. Okay. Doesn't change the fact that many devoted iPod users, Mac and PC alike have been forced to resort to 3rd-party "hacks" to be able to use the device the way they want to. Not sure such applications amount to piracy either. There are many of them to be found (Rockbox, anyone?) and I find it hard to believe that the long legal arm at Apple wouldn't be handing out cease and desist letters left and right if developing an alternative interface or application for the iPod platform were blatant piracy as you suggest.
Dark Meat

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:36 pm

The way the iPod works is it syncs files according to those playlists. Could it be written differently? Yes. But hen you'd have a lot of iPods out there with playlists and no files attached to them. It's a player not a sharer. If your playlists are such a big deal and such a pain in the ass to replace then back the fuckers up!. Yikes. Boo Hoo I have to pick out a couple of songs and put them in a certain order. Boo Hoo.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games