MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Downloading Classic Games vs Owning Carts

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Downloading Classic Games vs Owning Carts

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:25 pm

I've been a pretty big proponent of Xbox Live Arcade ever since I first used the service. I mostly favor new offerings, but classic games with new features like online multipler are nice.

However, my 360 is going under the knife after crapping out this weekend, so I fell back on Wii's Virtual Console.

I opted for Star Fox 64 (having given my N64 to my brother years ago, I'm unlikely to have this one again) and Super Mario Bros 2 ( my girlfriend had NEVER PLAYED IT).

A friend of mine owns many, many Virtual Console games even though he owns stacks of carts just for the ability to turn on his system and start a game without looking for it (not unlike cuing a song on an iPod vs getting an album out and starting it)

Where do you fall on this? It occurs to me I may be able to save money investing in old systems and carts than paying $5, $8, or $10 for an old game. But its so nice to just download and play any time.

What games (if any) have earned your Wii points, PS3 bucks, or Microsoft points?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:32 pm

I downloaded a few just to try it. Tecmo Bowl, Mario 2, and Punch Out! Those old games arent quite as cheap as you think. And having a wireless controller and not having to dig around for a cart that may or may not work and having 8 systems under the TV... I like emulation I think.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Well obviously the pirate route is the cheapest way, but I prefer my nintendo-made D-pad to any keyboard or 3rd party controller. Heck I even put a SNES emulator and a hundred games on my computer I can play with my Xbox 360 controller, I still never use is because I dislike the d-pad.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games