MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

TV Troubleshooting

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

TV Troubleshooting

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 pm

My TV has been flickering. It's the coax connection.
It's not the tube (other connections don't flicker), it's not the cable (other cable connections in house a-ok), and it isn't the coaxial cable itself (I've switched the cable over a few times). It's the actual connection in the back of the TV. Any easy solutions?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:58 pm

replace the TV or replace the part. You can probably find what you need to fix it in a radioshack for under $10.

Just be careful.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:29 pm

No offense, but I was hoping for advice a bit more specific...
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Could it be interference?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:00 pm

TAsunder wrote:Could it be interference?

That had crossed my mind at some point but I've ruled it out. Like I said the other cable connections in the house do not suffer from this problem.
Jiggling the cable near the connection to the television helps.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:13 pm

(Full disclosure: my husband and I have both worked for Charter - me in sales, hubby in repair, then tech support - when we lived in Fond du Lac)

The fact that the other sets in the house don't have that problem doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility of it being that particular outlet itself.

The easiest way to rule out a problem with the outlet is to try connecting a different television to that outlet. If that solves the problem, it's likely the TV, and Shipley's right on - either a new connection or a new television and you should be good to go.

If you have the same problem even with a different TV, it could very well be the outlet. In that case, schedule a service call, but add wire maintenance to your account first so you don't have to worry about being charged for a service call. Unless something has changed in the 11 months since I left, all that matters is that you have it on your account at the time of the service call - you can have it removed the next day and you'll only be charged for the days it's actually on the account (just keep in mind that if it is the outlet and you're a renter, they may tell you to have your landlord fix it).

Take this next part with a grain of salt because as I said, I was in sales (soooo not a techie) and this may be off-base, but if your TV has a component input, you may also be able to bypass the coax input on the TV through the use of an RF modulator - coax from the wall to the modulator, then component from the modulator to the TV. Hubby's asleep, but I'm sure there's a techie here who can correct me if that won't work.

Good luck!
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 am

beenie wrote:it's likely the TV, and Shipley's right on - either a new connection or a new television and you should be good to go.

This is the part I need help with. Any TV repair guys out there with any DIY tips?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:55 am

I think it would be pretty obvious once you get the back exposed. That would be the tricky part for me.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TV Troubleshooting

Postby MadMind » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm still having the same problem with this TV.
One weird thing to add though;
If I'm watching cable through the VCR (coax), or watching DVD's (S-Video) - the signal doesn't flicker or go out...
Yet, when the signal goes out while watching TV it will not subside even when attempting to turn on the VCR through ch. 3 or DVD through the video input. How wiggling the coax input to get the TV back in sync, when the DVD player is hooked up by the S-Video input really throws me.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TV Troubleshooting

Postby MadMind » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:44 pm

What, no TV repairmen on the forum?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games