MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

X-Box back from Repair...Blech

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

X-Box back from Repair...Blech

Postby mcs_madison » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:47 am

Not my X-box...They sent me back a certified refurb-ed unit.

Which isn't really a big deal as long as it works, however, they didn't mention that they would be swapping it, when I sent it in. They sent a letter saying that they would handle changing the S/N on my warranty and registrations.

Also, none of my saved games will boot off the HD now. They seem to be corrupted. I had to re-start Halo3 and I was already 3/4 through it....Arrrghhh.
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:18 am

even better, now you'll need to be logged into Live just to play your Arcade games!

if you've got a lot, make a big stink on the phone. I've heard they'll authorize you to re-download everything so it'll be DRM'd to the new box.

Mine's currently out for repair. If I get a new machine, I'll likely get a more quiet, better working machine with HDMI, but then run into the hard drive and content restrictions. If I don't I keep a grip on my content and possibly set myself up for further problems.

if they introduce a new model this year, I may just buy one of those and transfer all my data to that and re-sell my current box.

Theres little doubt they got the software end of the Xbox right, just the hardware failures and inexcusable. Even the DRM wouldn't be a problem if you never had to replace your box!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Re: X-Box back from Repair...Blech

Postby MadMind » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 pm

UN@$#*ING BELIEVEABLE! I just got the dreaded Red Ring Of Death last night after playing for only about 15-20 minutes!
I thought I was safe because I purchased one of the newer units with the "Falcon" chipset. I've owned the unit not much over a year.

WTF Microsoft? I mean, the Atari that I got for Christmas in the early-eighties still works. The only other console I've ever had to send in for repair was the PSOne.

Maybe I should have seen it coming. It had been abruptly freezing up more lately.
BUT WAIT - I thought once you get the RROD that there is no coming back from it? I unplugged it overnight and tried it again today, and to my surprise I actually got it to work. Is it only a matter of time before I get RROD again?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:59 am

you got the red ring once, send it in.

you might not get a red ring each time you turn the system on.

Falcon chips were less likely to do this, but they're not perfect.

your old atari isn't as complex as the 360. just send it in and the'll send you a refurb. then you can sell your refurb for a new Jaspar system and not worry about rings anymore.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:00 pm

"With every warranty repair, Microsoft compensates the customer for the loss of the use of the console by providing them with a 1 month Xbox Live Gold subscription card to be used on existing or new Xbox Live accounts."

Seriously? That's it? I think a free lifetime gold membership would be more on par.

I'm not going to try it, since it's probably still under warranty (the 3 year warranty is still in effect, no?), but what do you think of fixing it yourself? There seems to be plenty of websites dedicated to repairing RRoD effected consoles yourself.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Letting Microsoft fix it means it stays under warranty.
Trying to fix it yourself will VOID that warranty.

Guys with modded systems have do it yourself repair since Microsoft won't touch them.

Just send the box back. There is no benefit to doing it yourself.

I'll agree the one month sucks, since my box was out for a month it pretty much just covered the time I lost.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:28 am

Shipley wrote:your old atari isn't as complex as the 360. just send it in and the'll send you a refurb.

The complexity or simplicity of a product has no bearing. It's about reliability & durability. A corporation needs to be held accountable if they produce a faulty product. The Xbox 360 wasn't produced to be disposable.

I can only hope that consumers receive more compensation than the lousy $20 I got from the class action lawsuit against Sony regarding the PSOne. That didn't even quite cover a quarter of the cost of repair.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 am

One of my 360s (a 2006 arcade) went all RRoD on me 2 months ago.
Since I don't care about things like the M$ "warranty", don't want to lose 3 weeks sending it into them, and don't want to take the chance of getting a refurbed unit of unknown origins I looked for alternatives to getting it serviced.

After doing a ton of research there was only one place I found that I could trust to do the job, and funny enough they were advertising and selling their service on Ebay.
http://tinyurl.com/8u7mar

I sent my 360 in on a Friday, and it arrived back on my doorstep the following Friday. Works great.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks Jammy. I won't have this problem since I went with the PS3 but do you have a guy that can fix a Nintendo DS?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:23 am

i feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Microsoft will fix the fucking thing for F-R-E-E.

if your car is under warranty do you take it to another mechanic or the dealer? If your unit fails again, you're bound to go back to this guy for $25-35 since MS won't touch it.

When I sent mine in, yeah, it sucked to wait a month, and yeah, I got a refurb. But the Refurb has now worked longer than the original. I didn't lose anything I paid for.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:34 am

i feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Microsoft will fix the fucking thing for F-R-E-E.

True but a month is unacceptable.

and then there's this:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/digitaljoysti ... blog_last3
Seems to be happening a lot since the recent system update and this one isn't currently covered.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Shipley wrote:i feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Microsoft will fix the fucking thing for F-R-E-E.

if your car is under warranty do you take it to another mechanic or the dealer? If your unit fails again, you're bound to go back to this guy for $25-35 since MS won't touch it.

Ship...you forget that my DVD drive is flashed.
If I send it back to MS I won't get it back.
:cry:
That's why $35 is a screaming bargain.
I also just got a brand new BenQ drive for $32 to replace
the original one that is starting to stick.

BTW - the going rate for a brand new 360 console with a flashed dvd drive is $200 which is a ridiculously low price.
The other thing I'm noticing is how many brick and mortar used game stores (none in Madison) and computer stores are offering this service for $30-50 a console.
Both are a reflection of how easy it's becoming for people to do this.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:30 pm

Oh I remember, I just want to re-enforce to Mad Mind that unless you have a modded system, theres no need to go to a 3rd party.

I think we already had the modded system discussion, and I stand by my position on game piracy.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:13 pm

I got a red lockup screen the other week. I assume at this point that it's just a matter of time.

My current plan is to buy a new one, then sell the refurb as soon as it gets back so I'm not out my console for a month. I already have a spare drive, so minus controllers it will be near perfect, and I probably have a couple games I'd sacrifice if it meant I could get a few bucks back.

In any case, I'm not pissy about it since they'll fix it for free. Still have a far better game list than PS3, so knowing it works super great is sorta useless to me when I wouldn't get as much enjoyment out of it. Plus, you know, it was cheaper by $250 when I bought mine.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:06 am

Shipley wrote:Oh I remember, I just want to re-enforce to Mad Mind that unless you have a modded system, theres no need to go to a 3rd party.

???
Why would you make such a pronouncement?
Seriously Ship, you act like you are somehow an authority on this kind of thing when you're clearly not. You're just another guy with an opinion and quite frankly your position on modifying hardware or even using a 3rd party to repair a 360 is naive.

Think about it...
Why would anyone take 360 repair advice from you when you've never opened a console, never tried to repair or mod one, and who's solution reads like the same script the M$ customer service rep regurgitates to you over the phone from Bangalore when you call in about your RRoD?

Would you listen to someone claiming to be a car mechanic who had never actually lifted up the hood and worked on the engine?
(If you answered "yes" then you are a bigger sucker than I thought.)

The bottom line is that Madmind, and anyone else is free to get their 360 repaired where they want, when they want, whether it is modded or not.

Once they buy the hardware it is there to do with as they wish.
(don't even start it being a violation of the DMCA, because it's not and if you think it is I challenge you to prove it by finding a case where the prosecution was successful)

There clearly *is* a need for people with non-modded consoles or these businesses wouldn't be thriving like they are.

The reason is well documented:
Microsoft's warranty/exchange/return policy is
lousy and adds insult to injury to 360 owners.

What's the point of a warranty when it takes a month to exchange your console?
Furthermore, how good is that warranty if all you get back is a
refurbished console that's prone to suffering the same failure as your original console?
That's not a warranty. That's a replacement plan and a poor one at that.

Madmind...do what you want but do some research before you do, but don't rely on this forum for any sort of quality advice on the matter because you're not going to find it.

Ship...I'd spend less time at coin-op cons and get your hands dirty doing some real reporting on some real tech issues.
Every clown has a camera and a website these days, including myself, and that's not enough of a reason for anyone to give a shit about what you say.
Do some real reporting, offer some real solutions and resist the temptation to do fluff pieces if you want anyone's respect.

Start with setting up an interview with Ben Heck. After all he's in Fitchburg and he's respected worldwide on modding/repurposing 360s.
Just don't open by lecturing him on how he's violating the 360 warranty every time he mods one or it will be the shortest interview you'll ever do.

'nuff said.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games