MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, January 26, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

ipod car adaptor

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

ipod car adaptor

Postby clyde » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:42 pm

I recently got a new iPod - my first - and I'm learning how to use it. The thing is, I'd like to use it in my car for an upcoming long trip.

Any recommendations on an adaptor? There are so many, I don't know where to start! :?
clyde

Postby paulie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:03 pm

What kind of adapter? There are many different kinds that you can use for ipods.

1.) Dedicated ipod-specific interface. This would allow you to control play/pause/next track/FFWD/etc, right from your car's head unit(or steering wheel controls). Some new cars have this built-in, or as an expensive accessory you can buy after the fact(BMWs for example). These are typically really expensive. It basically an ipod dock for your car.

2.) A whole new aftermarket car stereo unit with above interface.

3.) Simple line-in cable. Some car stereos have a line-in port. You then hook your ipod up via it's headphone jack. You have to control the ipod on the ipod itself, which may or may not be as distracting as using a cell phone whilst driving. This is probably the cheapest option(if your stereo supports it).

4.) FM Transmitter. I strongly advise against these. They pretty much universally suck. Bad reception, they suck down batteries, they easily get interfered with by strong transmitting radio stations.

So, really... It depends on what you're looking for as far as ipod lovin' in your car, and what kind of stereo you've got. Cheers.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Other options include a blitzsafe adapter (somewhat expensive, not too bad) and tape adapter (cheap).
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:15 pm

TAsunder wrote:Other options include a blitzsafe adapter (somewhat expensive, not too bad) and tape adapter (cheap).

true! totally forgot about a tape adapter!
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:21 pm

I have the iTrip and its not terrible. Doesn't have a whole lot a maneuverability and doesn't sound Great but works and charges my iPhone as well as transmits the music. Any hard wired solution would be best.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby clyde » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Well, what I have in my car is a non-factory AM/FM/CD (no tape deck) circa early-2000's JVC car stereo. So that rules out the tape adaptor for me. And I don't appear to have a line-in port, either.

Thanks for the help - I'll keep checking into this. At least I have a few weeks before the trip to figure something out!
clyde

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:14 pm

I've actually been really happy with both iterations of the iTrip I've had. My only real complaint with the new one (for iPod classic) is that the base model occupies the old-school recharger slots.

However, they're still pretty nice as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a super-audiophile, so the sound quality might not be great. But it sounds good to me on 87.9FM (88.3 south of Madison).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:21 pm

89.1 gets a little fuzzy around Mineral POint/Gammon.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:25 pm

fisticuffs wrote:89.1 gets a little fuzzy around Mineral POint/Gammon.

Everything gets a little fuzzy around there. It's a friggin' electronic black hole.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:02 pm

I have the little Griffin cheapo iTrip that you can get at Target for $30 or less. It works very well in places, and then not at all in others. It was invaluable on a summer drive to New York.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm

I used to have this one:

and you selected the frequency from a playlist.

Now I have this one:

and it's obviously got a built-in tuner.

Both are equally decent, IMO.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I used to have this one:

Had one like this, and I'd put the bugger on shuffle and even though I had 5000+ songs on my ipod, it would magically select one of the iTrip frequency tracks and reset the damn transmitter.

pay what you have to, get a a wired solution. tape deck, line in, dedicated cable, whatever. You'll appreciate the consistent quality. Next car I get it will be the first thing I do, assuming it doesn't have a line in already.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:43 pm

Shipley wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I used to have this one:

Had one like this, and I'd put the bugger on shuffle and even though I had 5000+ songs on my ipod, it would magically select one of the iTrip frequency tracks and reset the damn transmitter.

That's why you create a SmartLibrary of every track with a "Griffin iTrip" artist exception. Voila, no more random tuner tracks.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:54 pm

i did that eventually, but was still pretty disappointed by the performance of the device. I drove from deerfield to the west side every day for 2 years and having something to listen to other than madison radio was a must.

I still have mixtapes from the 90s in my car I'd pop in to avoid another morning with MMM or JJO.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby slake » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:08 am

I've been pleased with the TuneBase transmitter from Belkin. Plug it into the cigarette lighter and it stands on a stiff but bendable arm so you're not looking around while you're driving.

I'm not sure how it stacks up against similar devices, but the minor inconvenience of finding a station is worth the recharge as I drive and the easy of docking. It's a little pricey if you buy it in the store, but I found mine on ebay for less than $40.
slake

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games