MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

ipod car adaptor

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby mayact4 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:10 am

I have the Belkin too and am pleased with that.

89.1 really bites at John Nolen and Rimrock too....I have to turn off both the iPod and my car radio as I drive through that intersection.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby clyde » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:48 am

I got the iTrip with auto scan. I didn't get a whole lot of time to play with it over the weekend, but it seems to do OK. The sound quality is maybe not the greatest when its turned up loud, but it will do the trick!
clyde

Postby lordofthecockrings » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:09 am

We used to have this same iTrip technology when I was a kid. It was called Mr. Microphone.

The technology has come precisely nowhere since.

If you're going to be doing this a lot, save yourself the headache and get a wired connection or spring for a new stereo with an aux-in jack.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:23 pm

I had an iTrip for my old iPod mini. It worked okay in the city, but was difficult to deal with on a trip of any distance because of the need to constantly search for a new station. Near Chicago it became almost impossible to find a channel to set it to that didn't have interference. My husband just bought a new iPod and we're going to upgrade his car stereo so he can plug it in rather than trying to mess with the whole iTrip thing again.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm

I don't have an iPod, so I use the Belkin FM transmitter from Target. I think it was $30, but it blew away the cheapo $20 version I had before it, that didn't work ANYWHERE on any frequency. It definitely is NOT as good as a hard-wired solution, but until I am ready for a new car, it works.

The Belkin plugs into my cigarette lighter, so my MP3 player only uses the same amount of juice as it would when I'm running, and since it has about 10 hrs of charge, that's plenty for any road trip - even there and back again for a weekend getaway.

If you travel frequently or for long durations, one benefit of the iPod dock versions is that many will actually CHARGE your unit while you drive. Something to consider.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Every FM transmitter adaptor I tried worked horribly. I finally had Radio Doctor install a wired connection device by a company called USA Spec. Total cost (device + installation) was about $210. Not cheap, but I'm very happy with it.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby nickled&dimed » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:50 pm

I finally went back to my cassette transmitter. I was amzed at how much better it sounded than any fm transmitter. Seventeen bucks at target, but I returned it when I found another for 99 cents at the thrift store. That's about what they sell for on ebay as well.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:05 pm

nickled&dimed wrote:I finally went back to my cassette transmitter. I was amzed at how much better it sounded than any fm transmitter. Seventeen bucks at target, but I returned it when I found another for 99 cents at the thrift store. That's about what they sell for on ebay as well.

WOW! Great idea if you have a tape player.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games