MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Guitar Hero II & III

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:11 am

Guitar Hero switched developers from Harmonix (GH2) to Neversoft (GH3) and the foolishly ramped up the difficulty too high on hard and expert. overcharting (more buttons than notes) is also a problem. it'll be fixed in GH Aerosmith and in 4 to continue being fun for people who like to the play the games instead of being punished by them.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:13 am

You mean like the circus novelty act that is "Knights of Cydonia" on Expert?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:41 am

I can't speak to GH3 directly, but I'll tell you what I do in Rock Band...

With the Stratocaster guitar, I hold it normally but use my thumb for the leftmost fret. I got quite good at this technique. (Didn't Hendrix use his thumb?)

With a GH3-like guitar, the guitar is too thick for this and the frets too small. Instead of learning how to move my fingers like a rational adult, I put it on my lap and still use five fingers. The tricky part is that this causes the notes to be reversed, but not in a way that works with lefty mode somehow.

I'm just now attempting to learn the "rational adult" way and it's fairly difficult.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:45 am

TAsunder wrote:With a GH3-like guitar, the guitar is too thick for this and the frets too small. Instead of learning how to move my fingers like a rational adult, I put it on my lap and still use five fingers. The tricky part is that this causes the notes to be reversed, but not in a way that works with lefty mode somehow.

Jimi Hendrix meets John Butler.

I'm not frustrated yet; I'm still having fun feeling like a guitar player (it's been on my to-do list for years). I imagine once I get to the Lou's Inferno set on Hard, I'll change my tune (ahem). Expert may never happen, but then I was saying that about Hard a couple weeks ago.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:50 am

Just remember: expert is there for a reason, to cater to expets.

"Through The Fire and Flames" to date has only been completed on expert with a 100% rating by ONE PERSON.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:49 am

Here's my question, and Ship, maybe you're the person to answer it.

Is Guitar Hero actually reflective of how difficult certain songs are to play in real-life? Do they choose songs that are actually challenging on a real guitar, or do they just Globetrotter them up with extraneous button flourishes?

In both the increase in difficulty from Easy to Expert, and the progression of songs from first set to last, I'm curious about the skill level required to play the actual songs.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:02 pm

More or less.

The Killers "When You were young" is a super simple song to play on guitar and guitar hero.

I posted a video on youtube of me bombing out on "Anarchy In The UK" in game but playing the same part on my Les Paul.

the problem with Guitar Hero III is the overcharting: more button taps than notes delivered. It pushes the difficulty higher than it should be on songs that aren't that complex.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Y'know what's weird? I'm finding it more difficult to get perfect on the easy difficulty on GH II than on easy on GH III. Although it's more difficult to finish the game on medium on GH III because of that final duel with Lou!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:38 pm

the boss battles in 3 are a travesty. Leave it to Neversoft, who drove Tony Hawk into the ground with a decade of releases to ruin GH in one game.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 pm

Shipley wrote:the boss battles in 3 are a travesty.

I have to say, I don't often feel like I accomplished much when I win boss battles on Hard, or the later sets of Medium. I can be awfully sloppy, and still win.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Ok, I've now got perfect on every song on easy on GH II & III, and five stars on every song on GH II and GH III (except for Slayer "Raining Blood" - I'll get there). Should my next step be trying to get perfect scores on medium, or shall I step it up to hard?
Anyone here get perfect on all songs on medium on either GH II or III?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Guitar Hero isn't the type of game to push me to get perfect.

after I unlock everything, I'm mostly only going back to play for fun. Don't feel the need to score attack everything.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:22 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
MadMind wrote:Ok, I have Guitar Hero II & III.
My skill level is I can get perfect on easy and 5 stars on medium - but the rift in learning curve between medium and hard might as well be the grand canyon!
I consider myself a fairly seasoned player, but using all 5 fret buttons at the speed of hard makes the game much more frustrating than fun. One only has four fingers and when you have to use five buttons you lose all point of reference.

Anyone here go above and beyond the call of duty and venture into hard? I just don't think I'm that determined.

About three sets into Hard on GHIII for the Wii. Got it a month ago. I never played real guitar, but I did take years of piano lessons. Bouncing your hand back to home isn't the hardest part. The hardest part is getting the hammer-ons and pull-offs down so you don't have to strum your friggin hand off.

I may have to throw in the towel. I just cannot get the hang of using 5 fret buttons. I need a home-row. Do you switch your home-row more to the middle or do you keep it at the four top fret's? Or do you keep your fingers at a constantly wandering position?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 am

Guitar Hero III tournament at the Dane County Fair

Unfortunately, this is the first I've heard about it, so I couldn't tell you axe-masters about it sooner. Registration is closed.

And MadMind, to answer your (old) question, I generally try to stay at home at the top of the fret buttons. I cheat if the song features very little green button usage, and I probably use more piano-style fingering than what I suspect is true guitar fingering.

I've actually completed a couple songs on Expert now, although I haven't finished the game on Hard, and may or may not be able to do so. I'm getting to the more hard rock/metal songs now, and those fuckers are brutal.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:19 am

Good news for XBox360 players: Guitar Hero Aerosmith has a software update that allows Rock Band guitars to work on the game now.

And Guitar Hero World Tour will be full compatible with Rock Band instruments. I guess they figured they'd rather me buy just the disk than rick me not buying it at all to avoid having another drum set in the living room.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games