MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

New, Bare-Bones PC

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am

Sorry, no laptops for me.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:11 pm

So, should I go with an Intel or AMD processor?
Does it really make a difference?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Intel. AMD has been fading away pretty hard lately. Core 2 Duo is the most widely used therefore least succeptable to wierdo issue with software/hardware.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:23 pm

This deal showed up in my in-box this morning:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... E=WEM1585C

3 bills and XP Pro installed to boot (pun intended).

You'd probably want to upgrade the RAM, but you could double it cheap.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the $ for Vista only to replace it with XP. And unlike some previous poster on this thread, I don't recommend stealing your OS.
Last edited by lordofthecockrings on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:37 pm

As a Mac user I find that HP to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. XP Pro installed is its only upside.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:41 pm

fisticuffs wrote:As a Mac user I find that HP to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. XP Pro installed is its only upside.

Sure, it's not winning any beauty contests, but PC users aren't usually as concerned as Macheads about that shit. It's a computer. It computes. And if price is your driving factor, you can pretty much write off aesthetics.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:02 pm

That Dell I mentioned for $70 more has a 500GB HD and 2GB of RAM. It also doesn't look like it was sent here from 1994.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:34 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Intel. AMD has been fading away pretty hard lately. Core 2 Duo is the most widely used therefore least succeptable to wierdo issue with software/hardware.

I agree that Intel is the right choice, but it has nothing to do with the compatibility nonsense, which has not been an issue since the 90's. Intel simply has better-performing CPUs at the moment. AMD no longer has the "best bang for your buck" crown.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:37 pm

It's less the processor and more the motherboard and chip sets. and in Pro Audio anyways it can still be an issue.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:That Dell I mentioned for $70 more has a 500GB HD and 2GB of RAM. It also doesn't look like it was sent here from 1994.

Seriously, who gives a sideways fuck what a desktop box looks like?

And again, I don't see paying for Shitsta if you're just going to replace it with XP. I'm also not sure MadMind wants to do a fresh OS install.

You're right that the hardware is beefier, but RAM and hard drives are dirt cheap if you know where to shop.

Just trying to give the guy some options. But clearly, you've already made up his mind for him.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Do YOU want to walk Mr. MadMind through installing more RAM or a HD to his machine? I sure as hell don't.
Case in point:
http://isthmus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24631
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Do YOU want to walk Mr. MadMind through installing more RAM or a HD to his machine? I sure as hell don't.
Case in point:
http://isthmus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24631

Ok c'mon now don't use that thread as an example, that was an exception.
And just as an FYI I've installed more RAM, added a 2nd hard-drive, added a CD-R Drive, replaced that CD-R Drive when it failed, and re-installed/installed a new OS in my current PC over time.
Adding hardware makes sense to me, it's when you get into the software configuration that I get lost. I'd prefer not to futz around with OS changes if I had the choice, but adding RAM? That's simple.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 am

Adding RAM is about as hard as playing legos.

Installing an OS is certainly a different story.

As far as the AMD/Intel thing, it doesn't matter. Especially for someone who has stated he is an internet browser primarily.

I wouldn't pay much attention to fisticuffs' recommendations about hardware. He's reaching for straws. AMD still has competitive chips in your market. As a for-instance, that Dell Outlet has several machines with Pentium D processors in them. Those run way too hot and they're the worst chip Intel has released in the last 5 years. I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole.

That said, for internet browsing, music, etc - it just isn't going to matter which one you get. You won't be able to tell the difference, except that it will be far better than what you're using now.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 am

I could give a shit really. My point was that the loaded Dell was a better value than the bare bones POS from Tiger Direct for $70 less. If you want to tell me he can get 2 GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive for the $70 difference you're full of shit. I wouldn't touch any of them. They are all fatally flawed. They run Windows.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:37 am

fisticuffs wrote:I could give a shit really. My point was that the loaded Dell was a better value than the bare bones POS from Tiger Direct for $70 less.

See, that's what you DON'T get. It's not a better value if MM is going to just have to ditch the OS right off the bat and install a different one from scratch (which he'll have to pay for, unless he take takes your shitty advice and steals it).

I wouldn't touch any of them. They are all fatally flawed. They run Windows.

Then why the fuck are you running your mouth here?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games