MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

New, Bare-Bones PC

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:41 am

After pulling everything I need off an old Dell Inspiron desktop, I plan on installing gOS, which is what they're running on those Walmart computers, I've heard. It's basically a browser, which is fine for anyone who has migrated to the Google suite for email, word processing, etc.

http://www.thinkgos.com/
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:45 am

Then why the fuck are you running your mouth here?

Because having the Mac/PC debate is far worse than what we have going on here. Joyce's gOS suggestion sounds pretty good at this point. Madmind wants, no needs a simple "buy this one" suggestion. Debating processors and operating systems is overkill. My honest opinion is buy a Mac Mini off eBay (Intel of course).
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:56 am

fisticuffs wrote:If you want to tell me he can get 2 GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive for the $70 difference you're full of shit.

He has a point there.
But sorry, I've gotta stick with a Windows PC. Just too accustomed to it to learn a whole new OS at this point.

So what's so wrong with Vista? All the Dell refurbs come installed with Vista, so there's no gettin' around that.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 am

I think you could live with it for everyday web browsing word processing. The problems will come with hardware. getting your printer to work etc. It should get better over time. It would have to. Learning the MacOS isnt going to be terribly difficult. No more so than learning Vista or even XP I suppose. Not gonna try to talk you into that though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:15 am

The hardware compatibility problems with Vista are greatly exaggerated. I have not found a single device that has come out in the past three years that doesn't have a driver for it. I'm sure they are out there, but for the average user just doing basic things on their computer, the problem is non-existent.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 am

Vista's compatibility with 3rd party proprietary software (that used to work fine with XP) has been problematic. I bought a Vista computer thinking I wanted to run AutoCAD on it and at first AutoCAD wouldn't even load on the thing. After maybe 3 of Microsoft's automatic updates (where they don't tell you what they're doing, or why, except in the most general terms) suddenly AutoCAD would load and run. That was all nice, but I had three wasted months where I couldn't do what I'd intended to on my new computer. Corresponding with both companies resulted in nothing but form-emails, no usable information.

So if you have non-Microsoft programs you really need to run on Vista, check with someone else first and find out if they'll work together. You aren't going to learn much from either Microsoft's web pages or your third-party's pages. The AutoCAD web site said flat out AutoCAD would work on Vista, which was false. (Oh hell, maybe it said "Vista-ready" -- watch out for lawyerese.)

If all you want is a computer for media/entertainment Vista seems to do quite well, though I haven't tried many of its capabilities because that isn't my interest. It is not, apparently, intended as much of a work/business platform. More dumbing-down.

And in the computer lab just today, somebody had a hardware incompatibility with Vista and a logitech mouse. The easy solution is buy a different mouse, but no -- all the drivers you might want are not in Vista and not always easy to find.
Last edited by snoqueen on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:08 pm

I just clicked on this -- it's Ubuntu Linux! Ubuntu is awesome, for those who haven't checked it out. It is rock solid, flexible, and updates automatically from Debian mirror sites. (I don't know if gOS has the updates enabled, but it sure ought to. You get to know what you're updating and why, too.) Ubuntu runs right off the disk or download image on almost any hardware. You don't have to make any special settings -- it just works. I have put it on a 10-year old system and it's perfectly content with older hardware.

People who regard Linux as a joke can use gOS and be happy little campers, never knowing the truth under the hood. I have used nearly all the apps depicted on the thinkGos web page and they're well-developed, simple, and work as well as their expensive counterparts -- perfectly adequate for most people's everyday personal computer usage.

You don't even need to have migrated all your stuff to yahoo or wherever, unless you're simply unwilling to transfer old photos and emails stored on your hard drive. The Ubuntu image editing programs, emnailer etc are completely functional. Upload just the stuff you want to save and be done with it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 am

Loathe as I am to recommend anyone go to WalMart for anything, THIS looks like a quick way to get a $200 PC on the cheap.

It runs the gOS - the version of Ubuntu that others around here seem so enamored with. For my purposes, Ubuntu has always been far to anemic (I'm a gamer), but for internet browsing etc, it's probably quite agile and efficient.

Not only do you avoid the Mac/Windows debate by running Linux, you can also avoid the Intel/AMD debate - it runs on a VIA processor.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:44 am

Might want to find a newer article on the subject. The WalMart has pulled those.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 am

fisticuffs wrote:Might want to find a newer article on the subject. The WalMart has pulled those.

They are still selling them online
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:39 pm

TAsunder wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Might want to find a newer article on the subject. The WalMart has pulled those.

They are still selling them online

But ... but they're so UUUUUUUGLY!!!!

:roll:
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:16 pm

A third option: ( Captain Kirk always demands those third options )

Get a corporate lease return PC.

These slightly used PCs will have done two years or less time in some dilbertian cubicle environment, and come to you tested and with a warranty.

One source:
www.discountpc.net
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 pm

And you wouldn't have to worry about the Ubuntu trying to shrink your head while you sleep!
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:27 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:A third option: ( Captain Kirk always demands those third options )

Get a corporate lease return PC.

These slightly used PCs will have done two years or less time in some dilbertian cubicle environment, and come to you tested and with a warranty.

One source:
www.discountpc.net

Wow. Nice rigs at nice prices!!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:03 pm

For $500 delivered from Dell certified refurbished:

17" screen laptop computer with built in bluetooth, dual core AMD processor, 200gb harddrive, dvd burner, built in webcam, 1 year warranty, etc. etc....

i could never go back to a stationary desktop.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games