MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Mass Effect

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Mass Effect

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:03 pm

Anyone play this yet? I picked it up the other day. Sort of early Halo meets full size RPG. It's a pretty decent shooter with a storyline where your attitude defines your path as you progress through the story.

I'm liking it so far
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Game rules.

Period.

I almost took off work to play it the day it was released, but somehow resisted.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:07 am

Beer Moon wrote:Game rules.

Period.

I almost took off work to play it the day it was released, but somehow resisted.

Yep...I'm deep in now. Love it. Love drivin' that Mako. I keep trying to tip it over and it won't land wheels up! ;-)
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm one of the few people who turned off Knights Of The Old Republic early on and never went back.

Whats engaging about it? Is the shooting visceral enough to satisfy a run-n-gun player? Do the RPG elements have an auto-level function?

I'd love to play more RPGs to get longer games and more well composed stories, but pesky elements like item management and ghastly stat tracking keep me from being interested.

Please don't judge me based on these opinions, I just have a tough time going from big action to menu ticking to get everything just right. X-Men legends turned into a very servicable and fun action game with auto level, and had an enjoyable story. would love to see more RPGs like that.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Shipley wrote: X-Men legends turned into a very servicable and fun action game with auto level, and had an enjoyable story. would love to see more RPGs like that.

did you play the sequel and MUA?
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:51 pm

I actually haven't. MUA was a pack in with the xbox last year, so that means in the next year I should be able to find a used or new copy fairly cheap.

Never enough hours for the games I want to play.. don't know why I should care that I'm skipping the long ones!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Shipley wrote:I'm one of the few people who turned off Knights Of The Old Republic early on and never went back.

Whats engaging about it? Is the shooting visceral enough to satisfy a run-n-gun player? Do the RPG elements have an auto-level function?

I'd love to play more RPGs to get longer games and more well composed stories, but pesky elements like item management and ghastly stat tracking keep me from being interested.

Please don't judge me based on these opinions, I just have a tough time going from big action to menu ticking to get everything just right. X-Men legends turned into a very servicable and fun action game with auto level, and had an enjoyable story. would love to see more RPGs like that.

I think the shootouts are very good. I've been surprised several times and the enemy AI, can be pretty smart.

The RPG elements do need some personal attention, so you can get the info you need for the next "job", but you get different reactions based on your response, so it's got a little more personality then usual RPGs.

When compared to Dungeons and Dragons on-line, which is what I'm more used too, the item and skill management is almost non-exsistent. XPs and the like are all handled automatically. Once in awhile I'll go in and tweak the equipment and skills for my team or myself, but so far in the game it's not making a huge difference and I leave it alone. It's very much like X-men legends in that regard IMO.

For the most part, I let the AI handle my "team" and it's worked out pretty well. I just run around shootin' and they back me up. If they die, they come back to life in the next chapter load or several minutes after the battle.

All in all it's great space RPG, the graphics are pretty damn good and the voice acting is super.
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Thats the kind of context I needed to hear, but no one gave me, in November when I was on the verge of picking the game up.

I'll add it to the list. The list is a mile long, but I'll get to it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:28 am

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a boring suckfest. It's just a 3rd-person action game with RPG elements duct-taped to the side. I couldn't stand more than an hour of it.

Item management and skill advancement is one of the best features of RPGs, so if you don't like that stuff, then I'm not sure why you would want to play them.

I agree that many games do item management poorly - EQ actually had the WORST inventory management system for a very long time, but they had by far the best items. Things could really be rare in that game in a way that still makes me want to go back to it.

I found the inventory management in Mass Effect to be much better than KOTOR. If you forget to unload after awhile, you'll need to go sell or start destroying your cheap items, but they make it pretty clear which ones are cheap so it's an easy decision.

You can turn on auto-leveling, but I would never play with it. The only thing I used it for was to see what was suggested - it's nice to have a frame of reference.

The combat system was pretty well done in Mass Effect for a 3rd-person over-the-shoulder view, the visuals are stunning and the music is outstanding.

If you take out the RPG elements because you don't like them, then I think you probably won't like it. It's VERY VERY TALKY. You can spend literally HOURS just running around talking to people completing quests, learning more about the cultures, factions, technology and history of the world they created. You CAN skip that stuff, but there's probably only about 10 or 15 hours of exploration and combat tops in the game - so if you take out all the RPG stuff (items, skills and roleplaying - 70% of the game imo) then there isn't much left to enjoy!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:14 pm

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm more of the Legend Of Zelda type than the Final Fantasy type.
When I get a new sword and its better than my old sword, I get annoyed at having to go to a menu and equip it.

That doesn't mean I don't have respect for longer games and well written stories, which shooters and action games are very short on.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games