MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

DVD-R Players

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:28 pm

MadMind wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:I have a combo VCR-DVD burner that I bought to archive old tapes.

Anyhoo, the thing also works pretty well for archiving stuff off the TiVo and, now, the Charter DVR.

Come to think of it, I could really use a better VCR, and a combo deal would make it easier for me to archive tapes onto DVD.
Question for you techies though, do combo players sacrifice quality/options in comparison to stand-alone DVD-R units?

The one I bought is junk -- I'm cheap that way -- but like Colt 45 it gets the job done. Lately I've gotten better results archiving VHS tapes by running them into a TV tuner card in a PC.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:10 pm

MadMind wrote:
Shipley wrote:
MadMind wrote:PC/Mac DVD-R for making copies of copyright protected material, and creating menu's.

Thats merely one application. Data backups and storage is my primary use.

Yeah, but you can also use CD-R drives for that purpose.

Well you got a chuckle out of me on that one.

It would take 187 DVDs (~8GB each) to match the storage available in my PC - or about 2000 750MB CDs.

Or I could add another 500GB Hard Drive for $85...

I do use DVDs to store backups though, and the $27 I spent on my dual-layer Lightscribe burner is some of the best-spent money in the rig.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm

MadMind wrote:
Shipley wrote:
MadMind wrote:PC/Mac DVD-R for making copies of copyright protected material, and creating menu's.

Thats merely one application. Data backups and storage is my primary use.

Yeah, but you can also use CD-R drives for that purpose.

I guess with as cheap as DVDs are and being able to hold files over 700MB, such as the uncompressed video from my zacshipley.com/powet.tv projects, its well worth it for me. my Midwest Classic video was only 20 minutes of raw footage and it was like 4 gigs.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:41 pm

MadMind wrote:Question for you techies though, do combo players sacrifice quality/options in comparison to stand-alone DVD-R units?

Say like comparing this stand-alone with this combo unit.
Would I be missing out on any important features by getting the combo unit?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 am

Stupid question, how much time can your standard single-layer DVD-R record?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 am

MadMind wrote:Stupid question, how much time can your standard single-layer DVD-R record?

It depends on the movie, or more specifically the bit rate and quality you use. Anywhere from 1 to 6 hours, with 1 hours being really high quality, and 6 hours being quite low quality. Assuming it's a single layer disc.

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:42 am

I've gotten satisfactory results recording two-hour DVDs. The four-hour setting looks like ass.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Another question;
When recording on DVD-RW's, is there any noticeable degredation of quality the more times you record over the disc?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:44 pm

How are DVD-R's for longevity/durability compared to VHS tapes? I read somewhere that DVD-R's may play perfectly one day then the next they may not.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

You should be able to re-write until the writing session gives you errors - that should be detected during the burning. Most burning software checks the discs before writing to make sure it is writable.

I have not heard of any burned DVDs not working. The only ones I have that have stopped working are scratched all to hell or the plastic coating has is starting to chip off because I don't take very good care of them (at .50 cents a pop, I don't have much motivation to). If you care for them like you care for your VHS, they should last a long time. Obviously, if you want to keep something for 20 years, then you probably shouldn't be buying the cheapest stacks of DVDs you can find, which is what I do.

Look at it this way: CDs vs. Vinyl has many arguments going back and forth for the quality of both.

I have never heard ANYONE EVER say they thought a VHS was better than a burned DVD.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:19 pm

Not all DVD-Rs are equal. Some really will not be good for long term archiving. From what I've read, Verbatim is by far the most respected manufacturer as far as DVD longevity.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:12 pm

So would you be comfortable disposing of rare recordings on VHS once you've burned them onto DVD? Or would you retain the backups just in case?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 pm

And just out of pure curiosity, just how easy/difficult is it to make copies of copyrighted DVD's on your PC DVD-R using some sort of program?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:15 pm

MadMind wrote:So would you be comfortable disposing of rare recordings on VHS once you've burned them onto DVD? Or would you retain the backups just in case?

If the recordings were truly rare and important I would make two copies. Or better still, I'd skip the DVDs altogether and copy the tapes to a hard drive, then regularly back up the hard drive in the customary fashion.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:09 pm

TAsunder wrote:
MadMind wrote:Stupid question, how much time can your standard single-layer DVD-R record?

It depends on the movie, or more specifically the bit rate and quality you use. Anywhere from 1 to 6 hours, with 1 hours being really high quality, and 6 hours being quite low quality. Assuming it's a single layer disc.

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm

I'm confused about something.
The best recording quality on DVD gets you 1 hour, yet the best recording quality on VHS gets you 2.
So say you're making a copy of a 2 hour VHS tape recorded at SP onto DVD. Since a copy is only as good as it's source material, would using the 2-hour DVD-R setting be no better/worse than the 1-hour setting?
I want the best transfer, yet I don't want to split each VHS tape into two DVD-R's.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games