MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

One more reason to go Mac

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

One more reason to go Mac

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:46 pm

XP is done as of June. While it will continue to work you will not be able to purchase it. Rumor is that Vista will be replaced as well by the end of next year. Thanks god. What a train wreck that;s been. In my field as it pertains to computers (Audio/Video production) Most of my vendors are just now offering Vista compatibility and honestly it's not in your best interest to even attempt it. Kind of a slap in the face to those companies who have god knows how much money trying to get their stuff to work on this horrible piece of bloated crap just have them start all over again next year. Fuck you Microsoft. Fuck you very much.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Not that mac users don't see this shit happen too. I spent quite a lot on a mac a few years ago. dual g5 desktop.

In a year they switched to intel chips. My box is obsolete.

I decided to set up a wifi network in my new home to accomdate my computer, my girlfriends, our game systems, and any laptops that happen to be floating around. Setting it up for all the PCs was cheap and easy, but nobody even makes a wifi card for a mac, since its already built into new ones.

the clown in the mac store told me that macs keep things simple and I agreed that new macs are simple, but that doesn't help me. He pointed me to some plug that works with a Macbook air. Unwilling to explain the difference between what I needed and this plug, let alone the difference between the Air and my quarter ton G5 tower, I told the guy to go sell some more ipods and left.

By luck I found a discontinued Belkin USB access point, but its clear that the next time I want to upgrade I'm better off with an iMac, since you can't replace any of the shit in the tower anyway.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:57 pm

I've been running XP SP3 pre-release for a couple of weeks now on my Pro Tools machine and haven't had any problems.
As long as I can do that I don't need to upgrade or change platforms.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 pm

I also bought a G5 tower just before the intel switch. That machine isn't obsolete though its a freaking Cadillac. I sold my on craigslist for $1700 in two days. a 2 year old computer for $1700. The guys who bought it were putting it in a recording studio in Milwaukee. Then I bought an Intel iMac so I could run windows and play some games. Never happened. Never needed it but then again I have no time for a serious PC gaming habit. And why not just run your bad ass tower direct? There is a WiFi card for that mac it's just not something the kids down at the Apple store are going to be hip to. My problem is with the big huge bloated Vista OS. the multiple versions all sucking more than the next and that they are throwing in the towel essentially. Leopard right out of the box. No problems. Since then (I installed it the day it hit stores) no problems. It actually works better! there's a concept.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Shipley wrote:In a year they switched to intel chips. My box is obsolete.
That's a matter of perception. I bought a last generation non-Intel PowerBook (with 4 years of free AppleCare, woo hoo!) and it's cruising along beautifully. I don't notice much difference between it and my G5 Intel Duo tower.
Shipley wrote:the clown in the mac store told me that macs keep things simple and I agreed that new macs are simple, but that doesn't help me.

I've heard similar reports about the good intentions and knowledgeability of Mac store staff. Apple seems to be accumulating bad karma since they've started making so much money. (Talk about a bad apple ...)
Shipley wrote:...I'm better off with an iMac, since you can't replace any of the shit in the tower anyway.

Hmm, I just added a gig of RAM. Less than 5 minutes between powering down and powering up. And I had never opened it up before, so I didn't even know where the slots were. Design does matter.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:22 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I also bought a G5 tower just before the intel switch. That machine isn't obsolete though its a freaking Cadillac. I sold my on craigslist for $1700 in two days. a 2 year old computer for $1700.

I'm hoping to get a few bucks for mine with monitor, but we'll see.

I have have a real love/hate relationship with this machine. Any time Apple announces anything I think about how it won't work with what I have, but on the other hand what I have works just fine.

And it may not exactly be obsolete for this reason, but theres going to come a day when they release a new OS on intel only and then it'll be cooked.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:04 am

That probably will happen but not for quite some time. However look at any PC bought even a year and a half ago. If it wasn't a powerhouse loaded with RAM you can't run Vista on it. and that's happening right now. Hell there's plenty of PC's on the market you can buy brand new today that won't run Vista. If Microsoft knows what's good for them Windows 7 will be a start from scratch project. Piling code on the old OS and ripping off Mac OS features probably isn't going to fly.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:15 am

to be fair, if you spend as much on a PC as you would on a mac desktop or iMac, it'll probably run vista perfectly.

PCs being cheaper do have the advantage of running a less cluttered base model OS, and hopefully windows 7 will be just that. Make it cheap, make it easy to run, and sell the crap out of add-ons for those with more power who want to use it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Shipley wrote:to be fair, if you spend as much on a PC as you would on a mac desktop or iMac, it'll probably run vista perfectly.

PCs being cheaper do have the advantage of running a less cluttered base model OS, and hopefully windows 7 will be just that. Make it cheap, make it easy to run, and sell the crap out of add-ons for those with more power who want to use it.

Wrong. If you spend HALF of what you would spend on a Mac to get a PC, it will run Vista without a hitch.

I just got 4GB of RAM for my PC $105. Vista runs fine on 1GB, although I'd recommend 2. Depends on how many bells & whistles you want. You can slim it down easily enough.

Vista won't be replaced in a year. Not even two.

And who cares if they do? IIRC, the XP to Vista upgrade left me with all my data still in tact. I lost a few programs, but some I didn't need, and the rest had vista-compatible versions out in no time.

Quite frankly, DX10 games look outstanding, and that and the interface are the only reasons I wanted Vista in the first place.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:45 pm

I built a PC a couple of weeks ago and installed Vista on it, and I'm losing patience. It seems sluggish, and certain important devices and programs of mine don't work. The Aero interface is nice, but I can't say it's a compelling enough reason to stick with Vista -- which would probably mean buying new software packages to replace the stuff that isn't working. I'll probably reformat and install XP. Maybe Microsoft will knock it out of the park with Vista SP2.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: One more reason to go Mac

Postby Parintachin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:13 pm

fisticuffs wrote:XP is done as of June.

Nope.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/04/03 ... power-lap/

And I'm sure that it'll get pushed back in 2010.
Parintachin

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am

What programs Kenneth?

I might be able to suggest some free alternatives that could work as a substitute.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:27 am

Beer Moon wrote:What programs Kenneth?

I might be able to suggest some free alternatives that could work as a substitute.

The main thing is the multitracking audio software Adobe Audition 1.5, which is getting on in years but which I like very much.

But it's a moot point: The XP install is under way. Thanks anyway, though.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sun May 04, 2008 2:47 am

Get rid of Micro$loth altogether and run Linux.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 07, 2008 8:24 am

I'm looking into a PDP-11.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games