MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Wires - does a property owner have rights to move?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Wires - does a property owner have rights to move?

Postby robeen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi - I was not quite sure where to ask this, but since we are talking phone/DSL wires, I figures I would try the techies.

On my property phone wires go all the way across the yard to the neighbor house (a rental...and I don't know the out-of-town landlord). I wouldn't care except that the wires prevent me from erecting a ladder the "safe way", i.e. using the corner of the ground/house to stabilize the ladder until vertical, followed by moving the bottom out.

So...do I have any rights to request they be moved (the can go along the boundary, or another route...)? And who do I call anyway? Calling ATT seems to be an exercise in futility - I always end up talking to someone in Texas.

TIA!
robeen

Postby acereraser » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:12 pm

The first question I would have is does the phone company have an easement to do what you are saying? Find your title insurance papers (or call the title company you used to purchase your home and request another copy if you can't), and look them over for such an entry. I am employed in this line of work, but I am not a lawyer, so I am not about to dispense legal advice, but there may be a limit on the amount of time an easement is valid.

So, ultimately, my advice is to get your title work in order, and pay for an hour of your attorney's time to see if you have legal recourse.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games