MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, March 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

TDS WiMax

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

TDS WiMax

Postby bierslayer » Wed May 21, 2008 11:48 am

Does anyone have any feedback re: TDS's WiMax high speed internet service? I live in the WiMax coverage area but haven't heard a peep about it. I can't even find info about how to sign up for it on the TDS website or any info about it other than press releases.

I'm curious to hear of experiences with it and whether it's worth pursuing. Anyone?
bierslayer

Re: TDS WiMax

Postby lukpac » Wed May 21, 2008 12:32 pm

bierslayer wrote:Does anyone have any feedback re: TDS's WiMax high speed internet service? I live in the WiMax coverage area but haven't heard a peep about it. I can't even find info about how to sign up for it on the TDS website or any info about it other than press releases.

I don't have it (no coverage where I live yet), but my guess is new customers will get it instead of DSL if it is available in their area. The Madison link on their website shows "High-Speed Internet" rather than "DSL", which is what shows up for every other area.

Sounds great in theory anyway...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu May 22, 2008 4:17 pm

It's nice, you'll like it. I'm getting the slowest speed (I think 2mb) and it works well enough for everything I do. I have lost the signal once or twice but it's always fixed within a few hours so they're better than Charter. And it's much cheaper than Charter internet too. You'll have to call them to ask about it as their website is awful. They'll make sure you can get a signal before you pay anything. Apparently one of the big problems is that you have to be fairly close to a tower for it to work.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby bierslayer » Fri May 23, 2008 8:40 am

Thanks for the info.

Athena: can you tell me what you get for results at http://www.speedtest.net/ ?
bierslayer

Postby Athena » Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Sure, download is 1940kb/s, upload is 703kb/s, ping is 71ms to Chicago. Image
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 pm

Athena wrote:Sure, download is 1940kb/s, upload is 703kb/s, ping is 71ms to Chicago. Image

Speeds look good, although the ping is a little high - with DSL I just got between 24 and 44. I'd be curious to see a traceroute, although I think that's asking a bit much :)

Would you mind doing it once or twice more to see if your ping changes?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu May 29, 2008 9:06 pm

It's a little faster upload today, but ping is the same. This is through my wireless router so that might add to the delay. I can play WoW fine like this even with a slightly higher ping. Image
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby joey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:48 pm

grrr that sucks! I was apparently in the coverage area but the installer couldnt get a good signal. I'm stuck on 768 (which is the same price as wimax 6 meg!!) and my up/down speeds are about 810/480 and ping around 70--to germantown. I'm gonna call and harass them to have another install try...
joey

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:29 am

joey wrote:I'm stuck on 768 (which is the same price as wimax 6 meg!!)

It shouldn't be.

One trick a lot of companies play, TDS and AT&T included, is if they change their packages to lower rates, they don't automatically switch you to the lower rate. You have to specifically tell them you want to change. My parents have 384k from AT&T, and while 1.5 meg is now the same price, AT&T won't change the speed unless asked. And they won't lower the price since 384 isn't even offered anymore.

Long story short, even if you can't get WiMAX, you should be able to save some money.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:22 am

Anyone else have WiMAX yet? It isn't isn't available on the South side...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:01 pm

lukpac wrote:One trick a lot of companies play, TDS and AT&T included, is if they change their packages to lower rates, they don't automatically switch you to the lower rate. You have to specifically tell them you want to change. My parents have 384k from AT&T, and while 1.5 meg is now the same price, AT&T won't change the speed unless asked. And they won't lower the price since 384 isn't even offered anymore.

I've been working for TDS for a little while now and I gotta say there is no way to change EVERYONE when rates change, and rates vary from area to area. Also, many customers enter agreements for promotions and they are promised the price whether it goes up or down, in the same way your rent or car payment doesn't go up or down depending on market conditions.

lukpac wrote:The Madison link on their website shows "High-Speed Internet" rather than "DSL", which is what shows up for every other area.

TDS, like a lot of service providers, has more than one way to get internet to a customer. DSL, PON, and WiMax are all available in various areas. You'd be kinda shocked how many people I offer DSL to in a given day and they have no idea what it means. "High Speed" as a generic term is a lot more friendly and descriptive, without tying to a method of service.

Wish I could offer more insight about WiMax from the inside, but I don't work on that side of the company.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby joey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:26 am

i forgot to stop back here... after tds increased the output of the tower or something like that, i was able to get wimax....barely. they've got me on the 4 or 6 meg but i'm only hitting around 3900kbps max...dowload speeds closer to 250k -300 vs the 100 i was getting..so i'm happy.
joey

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 am

Ship!
what's the fastest TDS is offering vs Charter?
I've got the Charter 15mb service and my rate just changed after the 6 mos *special* rate.
(To be honest I don't need 15mb, 5-10mb service would be fine.)
Looking into other options...but one key though...not FILTERING/BLOCKING torrent, etc...
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:04 am

jammybastard wrote:Ship!
what's the fastest TDS is offering vs Charter?

6 Mbps.

http://www.tdstelecom.com/Residential/W ... ar_Bundles
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:52 am

it changes depending on the area you live in. Some in Middleton and Verona can get 10 MB. THey've got a speed test you can call up and give them either your home phone or address to see what the capability is at your location, because it can literally be different every few miles.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games