MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Eee PC

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Eee PC

Postby Bruno » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Anybody got one? I'd love to get my hands on a 900, but I should probably just hold out for the 901 and an Atom processor. Hell, I could settle for one of the smaller cheaper models if need be - I really just want to be able to edit and upload photos while on location, but really, the Atom processor would really quell my concerns about battery life.

Rumor has it the 1000 is launching with the 901 tomorrow too - 10" screen and 80gb of storage (no word on whether it's a HD or SSD though). Probably HD, since a SSD that big would bump up the price point quite a bit, wouldn't it?

So, anyone around here got their greedy hands on an Eee yet? What model, and what do you think of it? One last thing - anyone know of brick-and-mortar locations around here with Eee's?
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:21 am

So... I snagged an Eee 900 a few weeks ago, and this thing is fucking awesome. It's unbelievably small - pictures just don't do it justice until you've held one in your hands. Super light, too - a little under 2 lbs., you don't even notice on your shoulder or in your bag.

The 20gb model I got comes loaded with a dumbed-down Linux installation. Simply put - it's Mom-proof, but if you can work in terminal, you can geek it out to your heart's content. Plug-and-play seamlessly picked up my wireless mouse, CF and SD cards, and iPod. WiFi setup was a breeze. Pre-loaded with Firefox, Open Office, Skype, Pidgin, and some other stuff. Right away I added a few more repositories and installed the GIMP and GIMPShop, and set up Konqueror for uploading images to my FTP server.

The battery life in the 900 leaves some to be desired (2.5 hours tops, apparently). Supposedly it's bumped up to 4-7 hours in the 901 and 1000 models; I would've held out for that if I hadn't needed this laptop right away when I got it. The 1gb of RAM and 900mhz Celeron processor handle pretty well, fast enough to handle some pretty heavy image processing and to render acceptable frame-rates for full-screen HD video on its 9" screen. The built-in 1.3 megapixel cam and microphone are nice touches, and while the built-in speakers suck, the high-def audio support sounds pretty good on headphones.

Basically: this thing is the shit. The little shit. It's so small, I don't mind when people ask me what I'm compensating for. It's not meant for high-end applications or gaming, but for a versatile no-nonsense "in the field" computer solution, it delivers.
Last edited by Bruno on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 am

Neato. Thanks for the info.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:37 am

What did you pay for it, Bruno? I know you did your homework, so how much and where?
If, of course, you don't mind my asking.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:25 am

I want one too! (in my dreams)

I've had it with this boat-anchor Toshiba and with Vista.

Hope you post where you got it and $$$.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 am

It's interesting that this form factor -- bigger than a PDA, smaller than a laptop, with a real keyboard -- has finally taken off with the Eee. For years I have used similar NEC MobilePro computers, which run Windows CE. These have small screens and decent keyboards. They turn on instantly (no waiting for the OS to boot) and have terrific battery life. I was using one to take notes at an interview just last week.

But although these computers are great for taking notes, they're not good for much else outside of certain vertical applications. Third-party software support was always poor. Networking is a kludge. Just getting files off the thing is a pain. The devices were never successful. Microsoft and manufacturers (HP made several models) eventually abandoned the platform.

It regularly happens that someone sees me typing on my MobilePro and says, "I want that!" I always say, "No, you don't." But they might want an Eee.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Yes, let's see source and cost. This looks like the thing I was asking about, a few weeks ago. It would have been nice to have, while waiting for my DSL hook-up. Every few minutes, I thought of something I wanted to do, on my computer, and then I had to remember, oh, rats! I'm not connected! I love mini's.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Blah blah blah Eee fanboy!. Blah blah.
Anyways here's your EeeMac:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/add-another-t ... r-revealed
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Sauce

I definitely overpaid (especially with a price drop imminent with the release of the 901 and 1000), but they were the only outlet with any in stock that could guarantee that it would ship to me before I left for Bonnaroo.

$300-$400 for some of the older models wouldn't be too bad - I just really needed the 9" screen for a bare minimum for photo editing. Especially with an iPod or any other portable drives, 4gb or 12gb or 20gb storage space doesn't really matter.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby happy phantom » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:34 am

So, are there any local brick & mortar retailers??? I'd sort of like to actually play with one before buying it. I'm having a hard time sorting it out on my Google results.
happy phantom

Return to Technology & Video Games