MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

XP Service Pack 3

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

XP Service Pack 3

Postby frozenCow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 am

Has anybody installed Windows XP Service Pack 3?
Any problems?

I didn't even know it was available until I manually ran Microsoft Update and selected "custom" instead of "express", and there it was. It hasn't showed up on my automatic updates yet.

I just noticed the thread posted here in May reporting problems from people out on the internet who tried the first release, but have any forons (or anybody you know) attempted to install it recently?

Just curious.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Re: XP Service Pack 3

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:41 am

frozenCow wrote:Has anybody installed Windows XP Service Pack 3?
Any problems?

I didn't even know it was available until I manually ran Microsoft Update and selected "custom" instead of "express", and there it was. It hasn't showed up on my automatic updates yet.

I just noticed the thread posted here in May reporting problems from people out on the internet who tried the first release, but have any forons (or anybody you know) attempted to install it recently?

Just curious.

My IT guys tried it last week and it was still a disaster. Lot's errors and conflicts with other software. Granted we use alot of non-consumer type SW, which probally atributed to the problem. They ended up just flushing the machine and started over again and left it with SP2.
I'm going to wait a bit longer for the dust to settle completely or see if they get Vista right. For now AP with SP2 works just fine for me on my home machine.
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby barreg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:48 am

I've installed it on an ancient laptop (7 years old) and a desktop and haven't had any problems.
barreg

Postby frozenCow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks.

I asked around work, and my co-workers who usually live on the bleeding edge haven't installed it yet either. Of course, most of them have moved on to Vista or bought a Mac (or both).

Well, I don't have to install it right now...

Thanks again. Please keep me posted if anything new develops.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby newt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:11 pm

I just installed it today. when I went to windows update after to get more updates, they all failed to install. I've never had that problem before :evil:

I was running Vopt to defrag and it quit with an error. never had a problem with SP2. I can't get it to run again either. I'm thinking reformat, since It was a fresh install of XP
newt

Postby frozenCow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:32 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I really see myself putting off that SP3 install indefinitely! :roll:
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby newt » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 am

I finally fixed that windows update issue, but it was a real pain. If you're not familiar with the command line, and don't wanna be, I wouldn't recommend SP3.
newt

Return to Technology & Video Games