MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison media for mobile devices?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Madison media for mobile devices?

Postby Korrigan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:03 am

I have noticed that none of the Madison media appear to promote versions of their web sites for mobile devices.

NBC15 shows up on my phone's web browser, but I'm not sure what its "real address" is.

Isthmus advertises a mobile version of The Daily Page, but only in its print version, and it's a rather unmemorable address. And I don't carry my print Isthmus around with me. Where is it hidden on the web site?

What's up with this? Is Madison so wired that we're willing to drag laptops around to cafes and/or sit and wait while excessively large and complicated pages load on our phones and PDAs? I can take a dump before my Palm TX has loaded Channel3000 or madison.com, and by then, my interest in the news has, er, passed.
Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 pm

I am disappointed with the mobile options, too. However, I don't find channel3000.com that slow. I like that the content is on the left and ads on the right. The small size of my screen eliminates the need to look at the ads. NBC15 has the opposite layout so I see ads, not content. I have to scroll for the content.

UW Space Science and Engineering has a nice weather site made for PDAs. It's web site is http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/paw/.

I broke my old phone about a month ago. It was a Palm Treo 650 without wi-fi not 3G service. I had dropped it so many times, but this last drop was fatal. I upgraded to a Windows Mobile 6 with both a wi-fi card and 3G service. Viewing web sites has greatly improved.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:10 pm

tdp.vrvm.com

The problem is that we need to work through a third-party service to publish it, which means not easily being able to recognize mobile browsers and simply redirect to the mobile option. It's a learning process and we've intentionally started conservatively.

You'll find listings there for music, movies and arts. Point taken on marketing, however. We should be hyping that thing on TDP, at least for those of you who don't block ads.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Google webpage adapter:

http://www.google.com/gwt/n
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games