MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Who has IPhones in Madison?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:22 pm

christopher_robin wrote:- The cut/paste is really kind of weird, but you have to think the situation through to understand why. There is no stylus, so the problem isn't actually a cut/paste function, which would be trivial, it's a select text problem.

Eh? It's a touchscreen. Isn't that just a touchpad minus the middleman? I can select text using the touchpad on my MacBook, so why not on the iPhone?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 pm

Ducatista wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:- The cut/paste is really kind of weird, but you have to think the situation through to understand why. There is no stylus, so the problem isn't actually a cut/paste function, which would be trivial, it's a select text problem.

Eh? It's a touchscreen. Isn't that just a touchpad minus the middleman? I can select text using the touchpad on my MacBook, so why not on the iPhone?

Because the "hold on one spot and then scroll/swipe" gesture that one normally uses to select text is now the scrolling gesture in the iPhone. They need to come up with some new gesture for selecting and another for copying/pasting, and it shouldn't be easily confused with another gesture.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Apple explains absence of cut and paste:
http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/36569
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:27 pm

TAsunder wrote:Because the "hold on one spot and then scroll/swipe" gesture that one normally uses to select text is now the scrolling gesture in the iPhone.

Ah, gotcha. Scrolling on the touchpad requires two fingers, forgot about that.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:26 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Man, I don't know what you fuckers are doing with your phones that the batteries actually die before the phone does. Maybe I don't keep phones long enough (usually 2 years and change). Maybe Sony Ericsson has really good batteries, since 3 of my 4 phones have come from them.

That's probably it-- I regularly hang on to phones longer than two years. The past two I've owned had batteries that slowly stopped holding a charge over those years. Replacing the battery fixed this.

So what is Apple worried about? I know the hardwired battery has been a design of theirs since the first iPod, but it still makes no sense to me.

Not having a door on the back of the phone for battery access means a smaller case. Not only for the phone, but the battery itself doesn't need to be completely sealed and modular (which reduces its size). A sealed body also has less access points for liquids.

That is their reasoning and I can understand it. However, I personally would accept a slightly bigger phone if it meant I could swap out the battery ... that goes for all iPods ever as well. (Note: iPod batteries CAN be swapped out when they no longer hold a charge, but it's something you want to do once every year, not daily.)
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Cell Phone batteries usually last about 2 years before they start struggling for a charge. This works fine for most since the average contract is 2 years and then they've got you trained to buy a new one.

iPhone's irreplacable battery is par for the course. in 2 years you'll want an upgrade. shit, most of these 3G buyers didn't even wait that long.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:37 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Not having a door on the back of the phone for battery access means a smaller case. Not only for the phone, but the battery itself doesn't need to be completely sealed and modular (which reduces its size). A sealed body also has less access points for liquids.

Just wondering if you needed to have your intestinal tract expanded in order to ingest the amount of kool-aid it must have taken for you to buy into this bullshit? Gotta hand it to ya - you are DEFINITELY thinking different!

When your (3G iPhone) battery lasts 3 hours using Wifi, and battery technology is increasing at the pace it is increasing - having a replacable battery would have far more benefits than drawbacks. It doesn't take much common sense to know that these rechargable batteries lose their charge faster when they are being frequently charged and depleted. You've owned a cell phone before, yes?

Battery starting to suck, but everything else works great? Meh, just buy a whole new (multi-hundred-dollar) device. Apple can take that to the bank!

You can replace the MacBook Air battery - just unscrew the back and replace it. There is NO REASON they could not have done the same for these phones, and their iPods too.

It may be one of very few oversights on design, and I won't sit here and pretend it's enough to stop someone from buying in altogether, but let's not pretend it makes any logical sense from a consumer standpoint. It's bullshit and they should fix it - and they should have learned their less with the first iPod.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Beer Moon wrote:It doesn't take much common sense to know that these rechargable batteries lose their charge faster when they are being frequently charged and depleted.

Yeah, that's my fear. As mentioned in a previous post, my current phone history has been to get a replacement battery after about two to three years, but that's with charging the phone maybe every third day.

It sounds like I'd have to charge a 3G iPhone at least every day, possibly multiple times per day (with lots of data usage). I'm waiting to hear what the practical battery life is like over the long haul, and what Apple expects you to do when it won't hold a charge anymore-- send it to them for battery replacement, meaning service charges and not having my phone for several days to weeks? Unacceptable.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 pm

My previous phone, a Samsung SCH-i730, came with two batteries. One was the "standard battery" which made the battery flush with the back of the phone. It lasted not too long if you used the phone. The other was a thicker "extended battery" which made the battery protrude half an inch out of the back of the phone, but had more acceptable battery life.

Although the phone was a piece of garbage in almost every other way, I did like being able to charge one battery while using another, so I always had a spare. I wish my iPhone had it. It seems like web browsing on any javascript enabled site really drains the battery quickly over Edge. Wi-fi is a lot less taxing.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:29 pm

It doesn't take much common sense to know that these rechargable batteries lose their charge faster You've owned a cell phone before, yes?

battery technology is increasing at the pace it is increasing

You answered your own objection. The technology has advanced and the batteries most devices today don't suffer from this "Memory" problem.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:07 pm

Beer Moon wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Not having a door on the back of the phone for battery access means a smaller case. Not only for the phone, but the battery itself doesn't need to be completely sealed and modular (which reduces its size). A sealed body also has less access points for liquids.

Just wondering if you needed to have your intestinal tract expanded in order to ingest the amount of kool-aid it must have taken for you to buy into this bullshit? Gotta hand it to ya - you are DEFINITELY thinking different!

When your (3G iPhone) battery lasts 3 hours using Wifi, and battery technology is increasing at the pace it is increasing - having a replacable battery would have far more benefits than drawbacks. It doesn't take much common sense to know that these rechargable batteries lose their charge faster when they are being frequently charged and depleted. You've owned a cell phone before, yes?

Battery starting to suck, but everything else works great? Meh, just buy a whole new (multi-hundred-dollar) device. Apple can take that to the bank!

You can replace the MacBook Air battery - just unscrew the back and replace it. There is NO REASON they could not have done the same for these phones, and their iPods too.

It may be one of very few oversights on design, and I won't sit here and pretend it's enough to stop someone from buying in altogether, but let's not pretend it makes any logical sense from a consumer standpoint. It's bullshit and they should fix it - and they should have learned their less with the first iPod.

Thanks for the insult followed by a wall of text that did nothing to refute what I said about Apple's design decision.

You might like to re-read my previous post where I said I'd prefer that Apple deviate from their desire to make the phone as small as possible, and provide the capability to swap batteries.

Or you can replace the battery through Apple's replacement battery program, a third-party provider or just do it yourself.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I'd also like to add that I have never once owned an extra cell phone battery. I had one lose its charge capacity like 5 years ago and replaced it but not on the fly. My iPhone hasn't dies on me yet. I can charge it on any computer, at home, in any ipod dock boombox thing, though my car stereo, basically anywhere there's juice.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:03 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Thanks for the insult followed by a wall of text that did nothing to refute what I said about Apple's design decision.

Actually, I'm pretty sure how I showed that Apple has proven themselves with the Macbook Air that the excuses they gave for the eye phone are bullshit.

Whatever though...

Battery life is important to me, and I have checked it on every single phone I have owned - and upgraded to a higher model to get longer life in the past. Ever since my first phone that would last only 3 days. It died on me all the time - usually right when I wanted to use it. To me, it removed all the convenience of having a portable device in the first place to have it die when I needed it and have to constantly be recharging it.

At any rate...

Here's some useful information for anyone interested in the battery issue:

Battery Replacement Service ($20, offers quick turnaround)

I believe they have a 1400mAh battery - same as stock. That won't buy you any extra time, but it's dirt cheap. I won't make any comment about what that says about the battery put in there by Apple. OOPS!

Something I did not know: The iPhone 3G Battery is no longer soldered in, so it's easier to replace than the original!

As gutc suggested, you can do it yourself. Now, first person to post a link to a bigger battery (ie: more than 1400mAh) wins a cookie - and brings me that much closer to buying one of these $2500 phones.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:19 pm

We'll put down the Kool Aid when you give up the Hater-ade. Apple makes a $2500 phone? really? How did I miss that? I want one. it probably reads your mind and gives great head. The phone is 200 the data plan is 30/month. 2 years. $920. Expensive? Yes it is. It's worth it to me and my data plan is $20/month. I don't think you should get one though Beer. I don't think you should own anything for that matter. You sound like the guy with terrible buyers remorse no matter what the product. You plug your phone in every night when you go to bed. If you need a boost in between you plug it in to anything that can charge an iPod which is just about everything. I think my toaster has an iPod dock (and some nice rims).
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Just ordered mine from the AT&T store on University.They said there is a NATIONWIDE 10-21 day wait for new phones.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games