MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

iPhone Apps

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

iPhone Apps

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:07 am

Just thought I'd start a thread for all the good bad and awesome iPhone apps that are out there.
I just installed Dashbuster. It syncs to your Blockbuster or Netflix account. You can see whats shipped links to feeds for new release etc and lets you edit your queue. Doesn't appear that I can add to the list though maybe I'm missing something or it will be addressed in an update. Also tried out Loopt. While I like the idea there are like 0 people on it currently and it crashes about 80% of the time I use it. Oh well. deleted.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:40 am

On my iTouch I just added:
Light, Enigmo, Pandora and a couple of others I can't recall.

HAven't tried the Pandora yet, but Enigmo is very addictive...
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:02 am

beatmaker
tipcalc
nytimes
google
facebook
scribble
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:39 am

Hold'Em is a great poker game. I also enjoy the possibly overpriced galcon. Once in a while I play the (free) Aurora Feint. Fun little block puzzle game.

WeatherBug is a must have.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:55 am

The programs I've read about in the App Store -- tip calculators, various games, a virtual piano keyboard -- don't sound that different from the sorts of programs that have long been available for various smartphone platforms (including Windows Mobile, which I use). Some are intriguing, many seem like one-trick goofs, none strikes me as a killer app. Where is the iPhone's Visicalc?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 am

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:42 am

That article glossed over the reality of IAmRich. The app cost $1000 and was just a glowing gem. There were people who accidentally purchased it because in iTunes it's a one click buy situation.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 am

TAsunder wrote:That article glossed over the reality of IAmRich. The app cost $1000 and was just a glowing gem. There were people who accidentally purchased it because in iTunes it's a one click buy situation.

Is app-buying in iTunes different than song-buying? Because song-buying is always at least two clicks, if not three.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:04 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
TAsunder wrote:That article glossed over the reality of IAmRich. The app cost $1000 and was just a glowing gem. There were people who accidentally purchased it because in iTunes it's a one click buy situation.

Is app-buying in iTunes different than song-buying? Because song-buying is always at least two clicks, if not three.

I'm not sure. I know you can turn off one-click though. Maybe it's a new "feature"? If you buy on the iPhone directly you have to actually enter your password to confirm.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:09 am

TAsunder wrote:I'm not sure. I know you can turn off one-click though. Maybe it's a new "feature"? If you buy on the iPhone directly you have to actually enter your password to confirm.

Well (and I'm not trying to argue with you, this is merely academic), if someone turned off order confirmation (or turned on one-click purchasing, however it works), do they have any real basis for complaining about purchasing something accidentally?

Apple offers a click confirmation; if a consumer shuts it off, that's like disabling airbags and then suing for a broken face.

That Apple pulled IAmRich is a sad commentary on how money-first (as opposed to consumer enjoyment-first) they're behaving with the iPhone.

/says the bitter would-be iPhone owner
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:14 am

That Apple pulled IAmRich is a sad commentary on how money-first (as opposed to consumer enjoyment-first) they're behaving with the iPhone.

Actually it says the opposite. Apple was making a percentage of that ridiculous App. It was taken down because it was retarded and no doubt some loser who bought it "Accidentally" would eventually raise a stink with them. A lot of people complai9n about Apple keeping so much control over this phone but honestly I'd much rather have Apple be big brother when it comes to this device than have it susceptible to hackers/thieves/advertisers.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Well (and I'm not trying to argue with you, this is merely academic), if someone turned off order confirmation (or turned on one-click purchasing, however it works), do they have any real basis for complaining about purchasing something accidentally?

Apple offers a click confirmation; if a consumer shuts it off, that's like disabling airbags and then suing for a broken face.

I agree, but it means that there is more to the story than the article stated. Notice they don't mention the cost or what the app did. It was a $1000 app that did virtually nothing. Even without mistakenly buying it, I'm guessing that Apple may have removed it. It seems to me that the developer had malicious intent in the first place.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:44 am

TAsunder wrote:I agree, but it means that there is more to the story than the article stated. Notice they don't mention the cost or what the app did. It was a $1000 app that did virtually nothing. Even without mistakenly buying it, I'm guessing that Apple may have removed it. It seems to me that the developer had malicious intent in the first place.

The story definitely skims the issue and leaves out key details, but I'd guess that the intent was more along the lines of satire than malice.

Of course, I don't know what was buried in the code, but if it truly was just a rotating gem for $1,000, then I don't see what was so terrible as to merit its removal.

Unless Apple doesn't like people teasing Apple's image consciousness. Hm.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 am

It definitely is more worthy of being in the app store than some of those $50 apps that appear to do nothing more than a free app.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:33 am

TAsunder wrote:It definitely is more worthy of being in the app store than some of those $50 apps that appear to do nothing more than a free app.

Question for ya guys - is the store the ONLY way to get an app on your ipod?

You can just transfer stuff other ways, right? Like if somebody made a Skype app that Apple/AT&T didn't want you to have - you could install it and use it?
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games