MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

35mm negative and slide scanning

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

35mm negative and slide scanning

Postby mrak » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm still a little shocked that Star Photo has closed. (But now that I think about it, a whole lot of their sales-floor space in recent months was devoted to picture frames, something I should have considered a warning sign.)

With them gone and (probably) not coming back, I am looking for a place to have my old 35mm negatives and slides scanned at a reasonable price.

I think Star charged 50 cents each, and while they weren't publication-quality scans, they were certainly good enough for everyday use (i.e., home printing, putting up on the Web).

Anyone got a good local source for cheap, decent-quality scanning from slides and negs?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 35mm negative and slide scanning

Postby supaunknown » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 pm

We can do 'em at [url]Vipdubs[/url] for $1.25 each + $35 per master CD. I know, a little pricey, so I'd recommend going to good ol' Woodman's photo department. Turnaround is usually 2+ weeks but their prices are quite reasonable.

Burne Color Lab does fantastic scanning. They're expensive as heck but the quality is great.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Don't know for sure if this helps. I had an ancient negative and color photo of the Hans Christian Heg statue (on the Square) taken during a foggy, thundery icestorm, many years ago. I've used the photo for business and personal cards and gotten terrific luck from it. As the years went by, the negative got worse. I've had a couple of photo places and digital helpers. My best help was when I went to Kinko's, to put it on a CD. I got a perfect blue-white cast and I'm still have him on hand, all the time. Considering what I've put into the card, the returns have been well worth it.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:12 pm

supaunknown wrote:We can do 'em at [url]Vipdubs[/url] for $1.25 each + $35 per master CD. I know, a little pricey, so I'd recommend going to good ol' Woodman's photo department. Turnaround is usually 2+ weeks but their prices are quite reasonable.

Burne Color Lab does fantastic scanning. They're expensive as heck but the quality is great.

The $1.25 each part certainly isn't bad. The $35 per CD charge - well, isn't a deal-breaker, but it would require me to be uncharacteristically organized, so I could plan a full CD's worth of scans I want at once.

Do you happen to know about how many fit on a disc, with the resolution/format you use for the scans? If not, I'll just get in touch with vipdubs directly.

Thanks also to both of you for the suggestions of Woodman's and Kinko's. Wouldn't have thought of either.

And yeah, if I needed a scan where quality was critical, I'd go straight to Burne. Love that place. Back when I used to shoot slide film, I took all of it there for processing.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:26 pm

mrak wrote:
supaunknown wrote:We can do 'em at [url]Vipdubs[/url] for $1.25 each + $35 per master CD.

The $1.25 each part certainly isn't bad. The $35 per CD charge - well, isn't a deal-breaker, but it would require me to be uncharacteristically organized, so I could plan a full CD's worth of scans I want at once.

Do you happen to know about how many fit on a disc, with the resolution/format you use for the scans? If not, I'll just get in touch with vipdubs directly.

If memory serves we can scan slides/negs at pretty much any res you want up to like 1000 d.p.i.
Saved as JPEG images we can fit a metric asston of photos on a CD. Depends on the desired resolution. Many many more if put on a data DVD.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:31 pm

I have, from what I assume, a really stupid question.
Can you get the same size/d.p.i. off of a 35mm negative as you can from a slide? Is it easier to get scans off of negatives or slides? Or is the difference negligible?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:50 pm

MadMind wrote:Can you get the same size/d.p.i. off of a 35mm negative as you can from a slide?

Pretty much. In both cases you're scanning a piece of film with the same size image on it. And any scanner made to scan 35mm slides should be able to scan negs at the same resolution, and vice versa.

One difference that you should keep in mind: When slides are mounted (put in those little plastic or cardboard frames), the mount usually covers up a small portion of the image all around. If you scan a slide and want to make sure you get the entire image that was captured on the film, you'll need to remove the film from the mount.

MadMind wrote:Is it easier to get scans off of negatives or slides? Or is the difference negligible?

Most people I know who have done both, find scanning negs much more difficult than slides, for two reasons:

1. With a slide, you have a positive original to compare with the color of your scan. With a negative, the colors are inverted from the true image.

2. Color negative film has an overall orange tint. Somehow that makes it easier for photofinishing equipment to make color prints from them. (I'm not sure how.) But when scanning a color neg, that just gets in the way, and you (or the scanning software) will have to compensate for it.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks for that answer mrak!

On another note, I think that most general places (Walgreens, Woodmans etc.) will make prints up to about the size of a sheet of paper, and anything larger than that would have to be done at a specialty shop or sent out.
I've never had a print made as large as a piece of paper - how much do you suppose that runs (per print)?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:52 pm

Do any photo stations (Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, Target etc.) have scanners with a slide input, like some home scanners do? Or isn't that something that stores make available because it takes too much futzing with?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:45 pm

mrak wrote:Anyone got a good local source for cheap, decent-quality scanning from slides and negs?

How many slides and negatives do you want to scan? I have an Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner that works beautifully, they cost around $350, but if you have a lot of scanning anticipated, it may be worth it.

If you have just a little.... I might even do it for you.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Where can I find (cheap) storage boxes for prints? Ten bucks for a shoebox-sized-box is a bit pricey, and I can't seem to find anything for less.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:51 pm

MadMind wrote:Where can I find (cheap) storage boxes for prints? Ten bucks for a shoebox-sized-box is a bit pricey, and I can't seem to find anything for less.

Today I found them at Hobby Lobby (at South Towne) for $3.99 (normal price) and they are currently on sale for 50% off, so if you get there while the sale lasts, $2 a box. They're roughly shoebox size, each holding 1000 4x6 prints. Good luck!
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:49 am

Dangerousman wrote:
MadMind wrote:Where can I find (cheap) storage boxes for prints? Ten bucks for a shoebox-sized-box is a bit pricey, and I can't seem to find anything for less.

Today I found them at Hobby Lobby (at South Towne) for $3.99 (normal price) and they are currently on sale for 50% off, so if you get there while the sale lasts, $2 a box. They're roughly shoebox size, each holding 1000 4x6 prints. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip-off! That's basically just what I was looking for, and at the right price!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:04 pm

MadMind wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

Thanks for the tip-off! That's basically just what I was looking for, and at the right price!

I hope you got the sale price, but even the regular price isn't so bad. Glad I could help!

Hi yo Silver!
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:44 pm

Where can I find one of these stampers with adjustable dates so that I can quickly and easily stamp dates on the back of prints?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games