MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Imports

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Imports

Postby MadMind » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 am

Have any of you have ever purchased import games and subsequently modded your system to play them?

There's nothing I'd want to import on the current generation of consoles but there certainly have been games I've wanted for previous generations (8-bit/16-bit/32-bit) which failed to make it to US shores.

I suppose what's always stopped me was a combination of not wanting to mod my system, being a stickler for having the text & speech translated/localized, and refusing to pay premium prices for imported games.

What games come to mind when you think back upon all the games you once anticipated but didn't make it outside of Japan and/or Europe?
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Imports

Postby Shipley » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 pm

my friends at Famicom Dojo have dedicated their show specifically to imports of classic games, and they've got a store at Rising Stuff Online Store.

Personally, most of the games I'd wanted to play in the good ol days were ones that came out later over here. These days, international releases are far more common.

Gameboy and DS are all region-free, so as long as the language isn't a barrier, you're good to go.

Sean (of the above Famicom Dojo) and I played a fair amount on his Sega Saturn when he brought it back from Japan a few years back. weird Evangelion dating sims aside, the fighting game on this system kicked ass, and the 6 button control was ideal for anything Capcom or Sega put out. Fighting Vipers, X-Men vs Street Fighter, etc
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games