MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

question about TDS' shitty new G/email

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

question about TDS' shitty new G/email

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 am

Why do they have to change things that work perfect?

So the new TDS Gmail/email sends EVerything to the spam folder, well everything except certain spams that is.

Just a simple question for my simple mind. If I wade through the thousands of spam I have now received in the last 9 days and locate the handful of emails I actually want (like the one I missed from my mortgage guy) and then click "not spam" for those, will future emails from those addresses go to the in-box like they should?

The old TDS mail routed to my desktop applemail was perfect. Very little spam, never missed an email. This just sucks.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: question about TDS' shitty new G/email

Postby Shipley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:26 pm

I was under the impression this was going to work exactly like gmail, which I've been using since it like 2004 when it was invite only. I check my spam folders regularly, but rarely does an item get put in the wrong box.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:48 pm

If you mark it as not spam, future emails should appear in your inbox. Weird that it considers so much spam.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 pm

I've got TDS mail and my email pickup and spam filter hasn't changed at all. It's still that same old blue interface where you have to copy a distorted word after you give your own password. Are they phasing this in a few customers at a time, or what?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm

yeah, everyone should have it by mid march if I recall.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 am

I received an email probably 2 weeks ago saying they were switching me and I had to basically re-sign up, creating new passwords and changing settings so I would still get my mail forwarded to my desktop. As of today I have a little over 2500 spams so far and I have to search through these to find the ones I want to mark as not spam. A friend with a good sized business has had the same problem. He has 4 different email accounts and they are all doing this and causing him a lot of problems.

I have a separate Gmail account that I've had for a year or so and it gets maybe 5 spam a day and never mishandles any of my legitimate emails.

The old TDS email got very few spam also.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Let me guess, I have to change my password to something that's got 4 separate numbers and 16 symbols, along with 8 capital letters, right? TDS is starting to blow. It's my email, it ain't Fort Knox. What good is a super-duper secure password if I can't frickin remember it?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:23 pm

So why bother with the TDS email if you can get a gmail account for free?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm

barney wrote:Let me guess, I have to change my password to something that's got 4 separate numbers and 16 symbols, along with 8 capital letters, right?

I believe it was 8 characters, 1 capital letter, 1 number, and 1 symbol.

TAsunder wrote:So why bother with the TDS email if you can get a gmail account for free?

This is what I should do but I hate change. If I can figure out how to contact everybody (I don't keep contacts lists) and a way to be alerted (I hate logging on). Can somebody from google call me when I have new mail? I want to use apple mail too. It's taken me 7 years to get comfortable with that. Maybe I'll just go back to writing letters. I gotta get me a bunch of those forever stamps.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Another question:
Anyone know a way to mass delete the spam folder. Single clicking each message cannot be the only way. I have to search the spam folder every day for contacts I haven't un-spammed and I want to start from scratch every day.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Why do they have to change things that work perfect?

From what I understand they needed additional revenue to be able to compete with telecommunication giants AT&T and others. Turning over their email system to google was one way to do it without laying off employees or sending jobs overseas.

There were some things happening incorrectly on how spam was being handled. Those have been fixed.

Some users will need to reset their passwords to comply with stricter security. This may be an inconvience for some, but TDS takes security seriously and takes extra precautions for a reason.

If anyone is still having problems, please contact TDS Metrocom or whatever service provider you have. They don't know about problems until they are made aware of them.

And yes, the email system they switched to is identical to the Google gmail system anyone can use for free.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games