MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

AT&T U-Verse?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

AT&T U-Verse?

Postby Boyce Johnson » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:17 pm

Anyone have it? I think I recall someone (boston_jeff?) mentioning it in another thread. If you do, could you please go to channel 99 and have a look and listen to Madison City Channel and let me know how it looks and sounds?

We're providing an encoded stream for the system, but we have no way of monitoring it as U-Verse service is not available in the Municipal Building.

Specifically, I'd like to know the following:

What's the aspect ratio? The stream we're sending is 480x480 (per AT&T's spec). I assumed it would be scaled on the horizontal axis to produce a 4:3 aspect ratio, but I've heard it's still square when it gets to the end-user's television set.

How's the audio? Are the levels comparable to other channels? Any distortion?

Does the video seem jerky? It should have a full 30fps framerate. Any artifacts or noise? How does the video compare to the commercial channels?

I'd really appreciate any help here as I'm not at all comfortable sending a signal out to a system that I can't monitor. Post here or email me at bjohnson@cityofmadison.com.

Thanks,

Boyce Johnson
Producer/Engineer, Madison City Channel
Boyce Johnson
Forum Addict

Re: AT&T U-Verse?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 am

I'll have some experience in a bout a week. My awesome package at Charter just expired raising my bill $60 in the process. The best they could come up with for me this time wasn't good enough to keep my business. Uverse is on the way. Two rooms, DVR, HD and a bazillion stations (much slower internet speeds though). 95 HD channels. Charter seems to only have a handful of whats out there and what they do have is glitchy at best.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon May 04, 2009 10:57 am

i too am switching to uverse on the 14th. i am very excited.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 04, 2009 11:02 am

Nice. yeah ours is the 16th. Originally I was going to go with the 200 or 300 package but I had to add HBO (Conchords, East Bound, Big Love, Entourage etc. etc. Need it) but it ended up being just as much to get the U450.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon May 04, 2009 11:06 am

yep i went with the 450 and even added the obnoxious hd premium tier which currently has all of three channels, but one of them is palladia, and they have some decent music stuff on from time to time. i may drop that after a month or so, but for now i figured: gimme all you got.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 04, 2009 11:13 am

I do have it. I will check out the channel tonight and let you know how its flowing.

Pretty happy with U-Verse so far, except that I can't get the MLB Network. The internet slowdown hasn't really affected me, and I like the modem/router set-up. I was never a big Charter hater. In two years their customer service people always got me expanded services and reduced my bills. For the last year I got HBO free for 6 months, they added the Cinemax package (Dexter and Weeds) and increased my internet speed and I paid five bucks less than when I just had the HBO package. Anytime I had tech support issues I was always taken care of.

That all ended this January. We returned from a fairly wallet draining trip in Spain to see that our Charter bill went from about $125 to $190. I dropped Cinemax and cut my internet service and the bill went down to around $150. I informed Charter that I would be shopping around for new service and that if they wanted to keep me as a customer, they would have to restructure my deal. They wouldn't budge, so I took on DirecTV (even though I find the dishes to be ugly) because the deals were so good. Set up an end date for my Charter service, still no new offers to try and keep me as a customer. DirecTV would not work because of satellite positioning, so I had to keep Charter for a few more weeks. Finally, got through to U-Verse and they came in late February. Set up another end date with Charter, still no offers. Returned my equipment to Charter, finally started getting the pesky phone calls re: we want you back and can offer you blah blah blah. I'm guessing the impending bankruptcy stuff is making it harder to keep savvy customers like myself.

I pay a little less than I was paying at the end with Charter except instead of just the HBO package I get all channels and have HD service, and the second cable box in the bedroom can play prerecorded programs off of the main DVR in the living room. As a sports fan, I was frustrated because it looks like you get 25 different local sports packages (all the regional FSNs, YES, etc.), but the games are always blacked out. The internet service is fine for me as well. After a year, the rates go up, so I will have to lose some of the channels.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 04, 2009 11:28 am

Yeah I doubt the internet slow down will be too big of a deal. Im not downloading a lot of big files. Maybe the occasional itunes purchase thats about it. I already have a router I like. The Airport Extreme. It's dual band and works spiffy with my Mac based household. I won't have to give that up will I?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon May 04, 2009 11:40 am

I was thinking of switching to Uverse from Charter. I already have my DSL and landline through AT&T. But I'm hesitant to switch because it doesn't look like I'd save anything. The expanded basic package I have with Charter is roughly the same price as the U100 once you factor in needing a second receiver.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:40 pm

First off, let me say that I hate Charter and have had repeated problems with their services. I switched last month to U-Verse from a Charter package but I really wasn't too interested in the cable TV or DVR, I just wanted the 6 mbps internet and if they could give me a decent package price, I'd pay for cable TV too. Ultimately, I managed to negotiate a sweet deal and got the U-verse 100 with two televisions and two internet hookups for only $67/month for 6 months and then $86/month after that. Wow... sweet deal, eh?

My first bill was for $142. No pay per views or anything. It was one month at a bit over $100 and a partial month from hookup. I called them and they apologized for the confusion. It turns out that the person who scheduled us for installation made a few errors. She gave us a $19 discount that was only for cable/phone/internet packages and she forgot to charge us for the DVR as opposed to the regular receiver. She also forgot to charge us for two televisions instead of one and then the technician who set it up put a DVR downstairs when it was only supposed to have a regular receiver, just like the regular receiver that was supposed to go upstairs.

I was abundantly clear throughout the ordering process and asked them several times exactly what we were getting and they assured me that there would be no additional charges outside of the taxes. They refused to honor the price I was quoted, saying simply that I had been misquoted (they were willing to admit that it was their error, though). So basically it was the CSR and technician who fucked the whole thing up but it was me paying the bill for it.

So, for those of you who are hoping you'll live a life of quiet and ease with the great services of AT&T as opposed to Charter, think again. They both suck, they lie, cheat and steal whenever they get a chance and they have absolutely no intention of honoring anything you're told over the phone.

So, what's a guy to do?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:15 pm

It's exactly the same with those dish deals. When they call you and you ask them "Am I gonna pay lots more for hi-def or for DVR" they lie through their teeth and say it won't. But eventually the $29.99 package they were talking about is really end up as a $100 package.

That said, I'm reasonably happy with dish at about $100 a month. And the U-Verse has yet to come around to my neck of space. When it does, I'll only make the switch if I get some very clear guarantees about how much it will cost when all of the teaser offers are dead and buried. Of course they won't be honest about it.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 pm

I use both AT&T and Charter with DVR. AT&T is significantly better for TV: far better usability and features, more and better channels, wonderful internet interface for searching and scheduling of programs, far better recording capability. AT&T is cheaper for the same services.

The only advantage I ever found with Charter is that they have more PBS channels.

The internet is about the same reliability on both, not sure about speed.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Love U-Verse.
Hate Charter.

Channel 99:
It had those vertical black bars on the right and left side of the screen, squeezing the picture into a square and making the people taller and narrower than reality. The sound was very good and a bit louder than the other channels. The picture was a bit grainier than other channels, but I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't asked me to check it.

U-Verse gave me free install, high speed net, and double the channels of Charter's expanded basic, all for $74 month. Pleased as punch.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:06 am

Dairylander wrote: It is slightly annoying that digital broadcast TV gives you 4 PBS stations, Charter has about 5 I think, and AT&T is stuck withone. (Charlie Rose is an arrogant old cuss, but will miss not seeing his guests when I get AT&T.)

For me, this is a big hole in the AT&T package too. Would it kill them to add a couple PBS channels? I have Charter at home, PBS at the GF's house, so I know how the systems compare.

The Charter DVR stinks. low storage, poor interface. But it works, and it is hard to live without once you get addicted.

Charlie Rose is a pompous ass and he doesn't realize it. He specializes in interupting people just when they are about to make an interesting point. Rose's extended knowing laughs drive me crazy. But hell, the guests are the best on TV, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Overall, AT&T has much better channel offerings for the price. Although the Charter basic package without DVR is a tremendous value.
Last edited by Huckleby on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Moving to a U-Verse neighborhood. Now that it's been in place for a little while, anyone have any scoop on what the rates go to after you've been a customer for a while? The admittedly-small package we're looking to get comes in at $89 or something on the website, but I'm naturally dubious. I don't hate Charter, either; I'm only switching if I can save a little cash.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm

My bill has been consistent. No surprises. I'm spending a tad more than that though. We have the u450 and DSL. I'm actually paying slightly more than I would with Charter but I get 95 HD channels to Charters 20 something.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games