MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Best Buy's Geek Squad is a joke

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Best Buy's Geek Squad is a joke

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:55 pm

In hindsight, it should have been obvious that taking my computer to Best Buy to get fixed was not a good idea. What I didn't expect was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in a while. They are an absolute joke.
The dipshits behind the counter know exactly fuck all and spend the entire time trying to sell you additional services rather than paying attention to what you need. Then they sit on your computer for a week and eventually send it off to be looked. They have no ability to do anything in the store.

Any recommendation on where to get a computer fixed for real?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Re: Best Buy's Geek Squad is a joke

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 am

I just had a computer fixed at the Computer Hospital in McFarland. Big plus - you can talk to the person who will actually be doing the work. The work was done well and quickly.

http://www.thecomputerhosp.com/
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 am

I've used Milwaukee PC on 1785 Thierer Road, with great results.

http://milwaukeepc.com/ViewLocation.asp?StoreID=24
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 am

This is exactly why Best Buy has survived in a consumer electronics market that has shifted to the internet where a consumer is typically left to their own devices (minus high pressure sales people); they try to bundle "services" with products with ridiculous mark-ups. We are talking 1000% mark-ups here folks. These "services" aren't necessarily "services" either. Best Buy simply uses that world liberally. These "services" are packed with time wasting sales pitches, unnecessary parts installs, and "insurance." The "services" and parts themselves are designed with planned obsolescence, so you have to go back and utilize your "insurance" which you will find out doesn't really "insure" much. Get it? They try to hook you for a prolonged time.

Best Buy makes most of its money off of consumer's ignorance (PC trouble shooting and repair involves a lot of knowledge, more than most people are willing to invest in), they aren't out to "serve" anyone except themselves. The point is you are wasting your time and money dealing with them, they are essentially crooks with ties and smiles who operate under a well marketed and recognized brand. They don't even attempt to market to the people they have sold garbage to in the past, because these people couldn't be paid to return. They target the inexperienced.

Look for a small shop with lots of computers stacked in the back. Ask if they have been building and trouble shooting PCs on a commercial basis for more than 10 years; demand proof. When you find these people, use them.

I know a guy. He is the best.
HOMOsapien

Postby kiwiwannabe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Another vote for Milwaukee PC - fast, good, and transparent in their explanations of what was done.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby Dairylander » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:51 pm

If you're on the west side, I had a positive experience at Madison Computer Works, Inc.
Island Dr. at Mineral Point Rd.
Right by Oakwood, if you know that landmark.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm

Wintel PCs are wonderfully flexible and expandable, and just about anyone can probably learn do to at least simple upgrades and repairs. But not everyone has the time or the inclination, and the very flexibility of PCs is what also can make them tremendously, at times horrendously, complicated. There are so many hardware and software vendors, and despite standards there's no guarantee any particular combination of parts and code is going to work.

Compare the Apple model, where one company is responsible for hardware and software. It all works well and is pretty easy to maintain. But Macs also are relatively expensive and not as flexible as PCs.

Geek Squad has its uses, and other posters are right to recommend independent computer repair shops, which probably do provide better value. But for people who don't know much about computers, bringing PCs in to be fixed is analogous to getting car repairs done. I don't know anything about cars, so when the mechanic says I need to pay $2,000 to replace something or other on my truck, and otherwise the truck isn't going anywhere (and it's Maryville, Tenn. on a Saturday afternoon -- this is a true story), what am I supposed to do?

The difference is that cars are more and more complex, and shade-tree, hobby tinkering with them isn't nearly as common as it used to be. But it's still the case that, with most desktop PCs at least, it's not rocket science to pop open the case and poke around. Basic stuff like installing a video card or memory is pretty easy. (Trickier stuff, like diagnosing baffling, flaky problems, is another matter.) Consumers would do well to -- I mean no disrespect to the OP with this, by the way; I'm on kind of a tangent here -- learn a little about how their computers work and avoid trips to Geek Squad.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions- I went over to Milwaukee PC and talked to the guy for a while, completely different experience than the Geek Squad. No sales pressure, the guy was very knowledgeable, and they seemed to understand what I need.

I appreciate that learning more about computers would be in my best interest and that it would save me a lot of $$ if I could do some tinkering. Something I'll definitely be working on with my new set up.

The quick story on my computer woes; the wife tells me we're going shopping for a bass on my birthday, I ask if I can take the dog for a walk first, dog hears "walk", goes nuts, tail, kool-aid, computer destroyed.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:43 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:

The quick story on my computer woes; the wife tells me we're going shopping for a bass on my birthday, I ask if I can take the dog for a walk first, dog hears "walk", goes nuts, tail, kool-aid, computer destroyed.

Would be replaced free of charge with the insurance add on from Best Buy.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:06 am

Peacetrain wrote: Would be replaced free of charge with the insurance add on from Best Buy.

Wow, peacetrain, that's really helpful right now.

blackcoffee- If you'd have gotten the dog's tail docked when it was a puppy, this never would have happened.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

Wow, Dairylander, THAT'S really helpful right now......

And Black Coffee, we spell the word W-A-L-K out when making plans, so our mutt doesn't cause major damage around OUR house. I know just how you feel.

Another way having a pet IS like having a kid!
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby Dairylander » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am

kiwiwannabe wrote:Wow, Dairylander, THAT'S really helpful right now......

Wow, kiwi, your sarcasm detector needs some help right now...
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:00 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:The quick story on my computer woes; the wife tells me we're going shopping for a bass on my birthday, I ask if I can take the dog for a walk first, dog hears "walk", goes nuts, tail, kool-aid, computer destroyed.

Quick side note: Your wife rulez.

Next time call me, pal. It would be a fine excuse to disappear a couple of beers. If I can't fix it, you're out nothing (but beer), and you'll at least have some ammunition going into the shop (though I have yet to lose a patient, so to speak).

So ... what's the new bass?
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:03 am

Sarcasm is a way of life on this forum. I know that - I was practicing it.

Peacetrain's sarcasm + your sarcasm leads to my uber sarcasm.

Maybe YOUR sarcasm detector is the one that needs the Geek Squad. No wait, that wouldn't help at all.......
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
drinkinblackcoffee wrote:The quick story on my computer woes; the wife tells me we're going shopping for a bass on my birthday, I ask if I can take the dog for a walk first, dog hears "walk", goes nuts, tail, kool-aid, computer destroyed.

Quick side note: Your wife rulez.

Next time call me, pal. It would be a fine excuse to disappear a couple of beers. If I can't fix it, you're out nothing (but beer), and you'll at least have some ammunition going into the shop (though I have yet to lose a patient, so to speak).

So ... what's the new bass?

She is a good woman. I don't think she understands how long of a process picking out a bass can be. We should talk off-line more about this- I could use some advice (Chips is talking about driving into town Saturday as well...). You have my number still?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games