MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

modem

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

modem

Postby eleanori » Thu May 27, 2010 6:21 am

What cable should I used to connect my computer to a cable modem? I use a router now. I want to connect my computer to my cable modem directly. I used the cable that connect my modem to router and another cable connected my computer to the router, but they both didn't work. What cable should I used to connect my computer to a cable modem?
Last edited by eleanori on Mon May 31, 2010 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
eleanori

Re: modem

Postby rabble » Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 am

I can't look at my own setup right now but if I recall correctly, the old basic Cat 5 cable from your old modem should work. If the little dickens fits in the connection, that ought to do it.

What's your setup? Charter and a Motorola modem?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 am

You should be able to take the same cable that is going from your modem into your router and plug that into your computer instead. Make sure you have it in the ethernet port in your computer and not the phone line port.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu May 27, 2010 11:59 am

There are two types of cables that look identical (unless you read the markings that should be on the side): CAT-5 and CAT-5 Crossover. Crossover is different in that it swaps the position of the little wires on one end.

Some modems need this to connect directly to a computer. So if the cable you have isn't working, it's possible that either it's a regular CAT-5 and you need a crossover, or it's a crossover and you need a regular one.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu May 27, 2010 1:30 pm

And if you are connecting directly to the modem, make absolutely sure you have your built-in software firewall turned on. Otherwise you have just opened up your system for immediate attack. I think the last number I read was that it would take 12 minutes for a non-firewalled system to be completely infected by malware and controlled by outside negative influences.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games