MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Ooma Telo phone service

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Ooma Telo phone service

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:41 am

Ooma sounds like an interesting choice to replace my home land line phone, especially if it has 911. Is anyone here using it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20100727/bs_ ... 91cmxhbmQ-
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ooma Telo phone service

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:29 am

I posted about getting a MagicJack years ago on a different local forum and think it's one of the best gadgets around. With the fees and taxes involved with Ooma, it still sounds like MagicJack is the cheaper and more reliable VoIP service out there.

Things also seem to be going pretty well for MJ.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:33 am

Magic Jack requires a computer to be connected an on to work. Ooma does not. Ooma is a superior solution, but as mentioned does cost more. I believe Magic Jack also has a 2 hour call limit that Ooma doesn't have, and you get disconnected at 2 hours.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:33 pm

TAsunder wrote:Magic Jack requires a computer to be connected an on to work. Ooma does not. Ooma is a superior solution, but as mentioned does cost more. I believe Magic Jack also has a 2 hour call limit that Ooma doesn't have, and you get disconnected at 2 hours.

I've never been disconnected at the 2 hour mark. I've never had any call quality issues either like some have claimed.

Anyway, MagicJack has been making some serious moves and is in the headlines again today. Sounds like you may not need a computer soon after all.

NEW YORK – The company behind the magicJack, the Internet phone gadget heavily advertised on television, has another trick up its sleeve: free phone calls from computers, smart phones and iPads.

The cost of phone calls routed over the Internet has been on a long slide. There are already a multitude of programs that allow free calling between computers, and some that allow free, but short, calls to regular phone numbers. Another alternative, Google Voice, provides "free" calls to the U.S. and Canada, but you need a phone to use it, and if you're using a cell phone, it uses up minutes.

MagicTalk would go one better by eliminating fees for calling landline and cell phones in the U.S. and Canada, with no time limits on the calls.

The software will be available next week for Windows and Mac computers. Versions for the iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry and Android phones will follow in September or October, said Dan Borislow, the CEO of VocalTec Communications Ltd.

Each magicTalk user gets a phone number that's associated with the software. Users will also be able to move their existing phone numbers to the service, for a fee, a feature that will be extended to magicJack users soon as well.

The reason the calls can be free is that VocalTec operates as a phone company, so it can charge other phone companies for calls placed to magicTalk and magicJack numbers. It also charges its users who dial phone numbers abroad.

Still, magicTalk will likely have slimmer profit margins than magicJack, which costs $40 and comes with a year of free calling in the U.S. and Canada (an extra year costs $20).

Although magicTalk calls won't be limited in duration, Borislow said it's not intended for nonstop calls around the clock. The company hasn't quite decided if the smart-phone versions will run over "3G" cellular broadband or if it will be restricted to Wi-Fi for better sound quality.

Borislow said the company is working on a standalone version of the magicJack, one that wouldn't need to be connected to a computer. That would make it similar to the Internet phone adapters sold by Vonage Holdings Corp. and some other companies.

The magicJack's sound quality can be shaky, and not all users are happy with it. In a few tests with magicTalk, however, the sound quality was excellent, even on an international call.

In January, Borislow showed off another prospective second act for the company: a small device that would connect wirelessly to cell phones in the home and route their calls over the Internet, without costing the user any minutes.

Read More...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Do they pay people to create login accounts all over the internet and talk this thing up?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:Do they pay people to create login accounts all over the internet and talk this thing up?

They must pay cheap, as the spammer's first language is not English.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games