MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Anyone here connect their macbook to an HDTV?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Anyone here connect their macbook to an HDTV?

Postby acereraser » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:57 pm

It is my wife's new macbook, and until now, neither she or I used macs, so we are unfamiliar with macs specifically, but not tech in general. I was able to connect via the mini display port converter>hdmi, to the point that I was seeing a dialogue box from the mac on the tv, but the avi clip playing in mplayer would not display on the tv.

I tried the google, but I found nothing except information about the mini display>hdmi converter. Any help would be appreciated.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Anyone here connect their macbook to an HDTV?

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:53 am

Sorry I have neither a macbook nor hdtv. Can't afford them so make do with a Dell and tube tv.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 am

There's bound to be a video output setting that needs tweaking. I've also heard, and I'm not sure about this, that either you can't output display while the laptop is open or you can't when it's closed. Not sure which. of course that could also be a few tweaks away from a non issue. Mac Mini popped right up on my screen though. Keep Googling. Your answer is out there.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:01 am

Also, try the forums on Macrumors.com - someone there will know and would love to help you. There's also support forums on apple.com, but I find the macrumors community to be a little more responsive.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:12 pm

barney wrote:Also, try the forums on Macrumors.com - someone there will know and would love to help you. There's also support forums on apple.com, but I find the macrumors community to be a little more responsive.

I think this is the tip I needed. I wasn't finding what I needed on the apple site, and the first search on macrumors came up with someone posting about what I think is the same problem I am having. I will try it tonight.

Thanks folks.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:14 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5626657/the-new-apple-tv
$99 streaming goodness. Gonna have to buy one.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 pm

fisticuffs wrote:http://gizmodo.com/5626657/the-new-apple-tv
$99 streaming goodness. Gonna have to buy one.

So frikin' close. So close....

I was just talking to someone at work about these. If it did Hulu+ I'd race you to the Apple store to get one.

But nope.

An iTouch, iPad or iPhone does do Hulu+, and everything the Apple TV does...but doesn't give you HDMI.

Damnit Apple.

While I'm at it.....dammit Tivo too. I love my Tivo, but I really wish it would do Hulu+ too.

At least the AppleTV doesn't cost 3 times as much as the Roku does anymore. Makes that choice easier.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games