MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Using iPod or Zune for video on TV

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Using iPod or Zune for video on TV

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am

I have some mpeg videos on my PC that I would like to watch on my standard def TV. What is the best way to do that, with a PMP like an iPod or Zune?

I have software to convert the videos to iPod or Zune format. But if I buy an iPod classic or Zune and the A/V out cables, how good would the video look on my TV? Would it be as good as live TV shows or a DVD recording?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Using iPod or Zune for video on TV

Postby Petro » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Shorty wrote:I have some mpeg videos on my PC that I would like to watch on my standard def TV. What is the best way to do that, with a PMP like an iPod or Zune?

I have software to convert the videos to iPod or Zune format. But if I buy an iPod classic or Zune and the A/V out cables, how good would the video look on my TV? Would it be as good as live TV shows or a DVD recording?

An intelligent encoder that was aware of the target playback device would re-encode the stream to have a resolution lesser than or equal to the screen's resolution. (This keeps the files smaller, allowing you to potentially fit more onto the device.)

They make a component video + stereo rca to dock connector cable for the ipod/iphone. That'd give you the best possible resolution out of the current crop of options - but it's still only going to look as good as your source media. So, keep the ultimate playback target in mind when you're encoding.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 am

I haven't tried with touch-screen ipods but both zune and prior-gen ipods deliver very disappointing picture quality through this method. I wouldn't recommend them as a primary means of doing this. For $99 you could get an apple TV, which will likely be quite excellent at this in comparison, if you are going to do this long term. Or any other similar device, really.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks but I don't have wifi so can't use apple tv to stream content.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Do you have high speed internet? If so your provider can set you up with a wireless router. Or you can go buy one for under $50 I would guess. If you had any kind of network this problem would be solved pretty quick. I have an application running on my Mac that broadcasts my drives as a server the Playstation can pick up on. That's how I've been watching MPEGs. Parts of that set up are wired (Playstation, USB drive) and the Mac is wireless.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm

OK I have home internet but the videos are for watching at a relative's house and they don't have internet so can't use apple tv.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Gotcha. You still have a few options.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128 ... TA4NDc4Njc

Just a dock connector to component video cables. Or you could always just burn a DVD.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:42 pm

I've used a iTouch to watch videos on a standard def TV. Not the best quality, about VHS level. But frankly that's usually good enough depending on what you're looking to watch.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games