MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

LCD TV's?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: LCD TV's?

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 am

Oh yeah, AND Vizio is an AMERICAN company.

Here's an interesting article from a few years ago.

And some info from their Wiki page.

Vizio currently primarily produces television sets. Vizio became the largest LCD TV seller in North America for the second quarter of 2007, with 606,402 TVs sold, a 76% jump from the previous quarter. Its market share increased from 9.4% to 14.5%. In September 2008, Vizio started selling LCD TVs to Costco in Japan. In February 2009, Vizio announced they would stop production of plasma televisions. At the CES 2009 Vizio introduced a 240 Hz LED-backlit VF551XVT 55" LCD TV.

Vizio has also started making other Audio/Video equipment such as High Definition Surround Sound Systems, LCD computer monitors and HDTV accessories. The company released its first Blu-ray Disc player in August 2009. At the beginning of 2011, it was stated that Vizio will extend it's portfolio of electronics devices to mobile phones, with the name Via Phone, and tablets, named Via Tablet. The new phones and tablets are expected to be shown at 2011 Consumer Electronics Show.

On October 19, 2010, Vizio signed a 4-year contract to sponsor the college football's annual Rose Bowl game in Pasadena, California, beginning with the 2011 Rose Bowl presented by Vizio and ending with the 2014 Vizio BCS National Championship Game.

In the meanwhile, Sony and Samsung are sitting around scratching their heads wondering what the hell just happened to their market share!

From cars/trucks, to electronics, the American resurgence is coming on strong. There's simply no reason to not buy these American products anymore.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 am

Remember_Me wrote:I've paid 3-D TVs zero mind and hope they go away soon.
The disappointment of Avatar in IMAX 3-D at Star has soured me to what I believe is a temporary resurgence of a novelty experience.

Yeah, you've mentioned that three times already. All I can say is that your experience wasn't the norm. Something was either wrong or you were just expecting a more intensified 3D experience. No matter what others have said, Avatar's 3D was more subtle than other 3D films and didn't contain many "pop out of the screen" moments, as do many other 3D films.

It is shortsighted to ignore it. It is a tech milestone and something that isn't yet showing signs of going away.

If every feature film released in 3D starting with The Polar Express from 2004, and every IMAX 3D documentary style films dating back to Into The Deep from 1995 is released on 3D Blu-Ray, then it'd already worth buying a 3D TV/Blu-Ray player. And that isn't even including the plethora of 3D feature films to come later this year. Unfortunately this isn't the case, but 3D Blu-Ray releases have become more prevalent lately going from a trickle to a steady flow.

I'll agree with that 3D films may begin to lose momentum at some point, but if you add up all the 3D films which have been released just in the past few years, that already surpasses the amount of wide release films (around two dozen) which were released during the last resurgence of 3D in the eighties (1981-1986).
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:56 am

MadMind75 wrote:
It is shortsighted to ignore it. It is a tech milestone and something that isn't yet showing signs of going away.

I think it's lack of catching on is a sign it's going away.

I was more impressed with Jaws 3-D than I was with Avatar. :P

Plus the timing is just all wrong. As this thread clearly demonstrates, people are still confused over just simply going HD. Plus they couldn't afford another new set even if they weren't. Not too mention there's no content yet and it's going to be a catch-22 to get it. No one will want to make the content if nobody has anything to play it on. And no one will want to make something to play it on if there's no content for it! Especially in this economy.

The only reason 3D hasn't come and gone again yet is because of Cameron's brilliant film making and tireless efforts to go above and beyond. Had it been any other director attached to Avatar we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.

Also, and more importantly, the studios are pushing 3D harder than ever because the format can't be pirated. That's really the biggest untold reason why we're seeing such a push for all things 3D. The higher ticket prices and buying all new 3D shit is the biggest told reason.

The rampant Asian piracy issues has made it so Hollywood is desperate to find media that requires more than just a regular TV and DVD player to work. What better way than to make everything require a 3D disc, 3D television, and 3D glasses to work... and all at a premium price?

Plus people sneaking into theaters to record the movies are now shut down too since their cameras aren't currently able to record cross-polarization or shuttered images. While it won't end piracy, it will slow it way down if it catches on.

Studios and their partner electronics makers are hoping and praying they can get Westerners to fall for 3D for good this time. I'm hoping and wishing we don't.

I'm of the thinking that this format comes and GOES for good reason. It's simply a novelty that is updated every so often when new technology or nostalgia allows it. But that's all it is to me, a novelty. I mean, even with all this new technology it's still a crap shoot. How many of these recent 3D movies have they got it right on? Name 5 movies that are a must-see in 3D? Avatar... now name four others?

There's no way in hell I'm buying a 3D TV unless it's the only choice I have. I'll also resent the hell out of it if I have to. I'm also not paying for Hollywood's inability to innovate themselves out of their piracy troubles with a simple update of an old "technology".

I'm sick and tired of getting double, triple, and quadruple dipped. I'm not going to buy everything again simply so I can have fake, cardboard cutout-looking objects fly at me.

If they want my money they're going to have to do better than me sitting around my living room with clunky glasses on my face and a headset and mic dangling off my ear.

I want less shit on my head... not more.

Which is what these shitheads need to figure out.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 am

Remember_Me wrote:If they want my money they're going to have to do better than me sitting around my living room with clunky glasses on my face and a headset and mic dangling off my ear.

I want less shit on my head... not more.

Which is what these shitheads need to figure out.

I guess I don't understand your anger here. Do you think the studios and electronics manufacturers don't want that?

Do you think it's easily feasible and they're just holding out because they really want to sell you active shutter glasses?

There will always be early adopters who are willing to suffer inconvenience and lesser quality in the name of being bleeding edge, and those kind souls pay dearly for the privilege. Those are also the people buying 3D televisions and active shutter glasses right now.

Me personally? I just bought an HD set that's viewable from orbit a couple of years ago. I'm gonna keep ridin' this sucker until a fully passive 3D option that isn't tied to (a) given sweet spot(s) with relation to the sets. There's a lot of money to be made for the engineers that figure that out though, so it'll probably be solved in the near term.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:40 am

Petro wrote:Me personally? I just bought an HD set that's viewable from orbit a couple of years ago. I'm gonna keep ridin' this sucker until a fully passive 3D option that isn't tied to (a) given sweet spot(s) with relation to the sets. There's a lot of money to be made for the engineers that figure that out though, so it'll probably be solved in the near term.

I think a lot of this promise of advancements in home 3D technology (passive glasses, or no glasses at all) is what's keeping informed consumers away from buying into 3D sets today, and keeping 3D sets from hitting the numbers manufacturers want. In a way it's unfortunate, because 3D in the home really needs to make the numbers now for the manufacturers and studios to stay interested.
I have to be honest, the hope for passive 3D glasses at home has me interested as well, although from what I've read the first sets to use passive glasses will most likely cut the resolution in half. It'll be a while later when passive glasses and sets that don't cut the resolution in half will be introduced.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 am

From the little I heard from the CES floor, 3-D isn't going away despite the seeming public dis-interest. I'm with you. I'm a bit sick of hearing about it and seeing it. That said, I did catch the opening ceremonies in Beijing on the 3-D display at Best Buy not too long ago. Now, I'm a sucker for the Olympics but it looked pretty awesome....and Beijing likely had the best opening ceremony, ever. I heard one if not two companies have 3-D TV prototypes that don't need glasses but it's extremely rudimentary and not ready for anything but the lab at this point. One other issue for 3-D sets is the fact that the glasses are dark which also cuts down the brightness of the screen. It was noticeable with the one I looked at and I've read about it. The brightness has to compensate for the lens tint leaving one to wonder how effective 3-D is in a the living room in the middle of the day.

At any rate, we have a couple of Samsungs in our home and love them both. We went from a 36" television to a 52" television and for the first couple of days I was a bit worried it was too large for us. I also couldn't stop watching television for several days because the picture was just so incredible. We grew used to it quickly and I'm ready for 60" at this point. I heard an interview either with Scott Wilkinson or conducted by him where I heard a "hand rule" but I don't recall exactly what was said. It was something along the lines of the perfect size/viewing distance could be measured by holding ones arm out and hand straight up. Look at the back of your hand and line the fingertips up with the top of the screen. The ideal size should take up 'x' amount of your hand. The 'x' being the part I don't remember, unfortunately. I also found this blurb from him while searching for the rule. This rule is a bit more involved. Of course given the variety of sizes of people the hand rule seems a bit simplistic.

scottwilkinson -- Thu, 09/27/2007 - 19:15
Here's an excerpt that will help:

To determine the best size for your room, you need to know how far from the screen you’ll be sitting. According to SMPTE (the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers), the optimum size for a 16:9 screen is such that it occupies 30° of your horizontal field of view. How does this relate to viewing distance? Simple—the width of the screen should be just about half the viewing distance. More precisely:

screen width = 0.54 x viewing distance
screen diagonal = 0.62 x viewing distance

THX recommends a larger screen that occupies 40° of your horizontal field of view. That means:

screen width = 0.73 x viewing distance
screen diagonal = 0.84 x viewing distance

You can use the formula for the screen’s width or diagonal depending on which dimension is specified by the manufacturer.

At a viewing distance of 10 feet (120 inches), the ideal screen size would be:

SMPTE = 64.8” wide or 74.4” diagonal
THX = 87.6” wide or 100.8” diagonal

Only you can decide which formula, SMPTE or THX, is best for you. Do you like sitting close to the screen in a commercial cinema? If so, go with the THX recommendation. Do you prefer to sit a little farther back? In that case, go with SMPTE.

If you can't fit or afford a screen that large, go with the largest you can.

Scott Wilkinson
Video Editor
The Perfect Vision

Source

One tip I would give is go for the 240hz refresh rate. Shots with a good deal of depth look amazing and virtually tactile.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 am

Remember_Me wrote:Oh yeah, AND Vizio is an AMERICAN company...From cars/trucks, to electronics, the American resurgence is coming on strong. There's simply no reason to not buy these American products anymore.

Where are Vizio Tv's sold? They aren't at Best Buy. Are there any stores in Madison that sell them? Or only websites?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 am

Shorty wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:Oh yeah, AND Vizio is an AMERICAN company...From cars/trucks, to electronics, the American resurgence is coming on strong. There's simply no reason to not buy these American products anymore.

Where are Vizio Tv's sold? They aren't at Best Buy. Are there any stores in Madison that sell them? Or only websites?

Wal-Mart, which is a bit of a shocker. Perhaps they are working their way back towards selling American products.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:18 am

Bill, if you are going to be web surfing, reading text, navigating the ‘puter’s OS, yadda yadda, 32” at 10’ will NOT cut it, from my experience. If you are ok with getting a little closer to the TV screen to get a video on the computer started in fullscreen mode before plopping back on the couch, then it should do the trick. Also, you’ll want to go with LCD over plasma, for that function. I’ll echo 40” at a minimum for using a TV as a computer monitor comfortably in a living room. Of course, a 40" is going to be very conspicuous in that room over the 32".
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:11 pm

c02 wrote:
Shorty wrote:

Wal-Mart, which is a bit of a shocker. Perhaps they are working their way back towards selling American products.

Yep. You'll be seeing a lot more American products soon at the ol' WalMart. Or, at least, less Chinese-made products. Did you check out the Vizio booth at CES c02? Or were you in too much of a hurry to get over to the AVN Awards? :P

As far as the Vizio, I got my last one from Amazon.

I love Amazon.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 pm

I boycott Walmart and wouldn't buy an expensive TV from a website like Amazon. Too many things can go wrong in shipping and delivery, and a return may be expensive. Vizio is out for me.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Dude, seriously, check my link.

You have no worries.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Oh yeah, I understand CostCo has them too.

Also, you boycott WalMart but not Best Buy?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm

I bought a 46" LG 550 from Best Buy. It was on clearance and was the display model. Retailed at 1,299 I paid $800. The differences between the brands and the HD quality seemed negligible. All the 1080 p 120hz HD T.V.'s seemed to have the same picture quality or so slight a difference that one brand did not stick out any more than the others.

I will say that the best feature is that an Ethernet cable connects directly to the back of the television and has a function that streams Netflix without needing to hook up a laptop. Hulu is coming soon to this model in the next couple of months. It also has a USB port and will play movies and music from flash drives without needing a computer hooked up to the TV. The TV was worth it's price in that I don't need to hook up my laptop to it to watch the internet.
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Yep. You'll be seeing a lot more American products soon at the ol' WalMart. Or, at least, less Chinese-made products. Did you check out the Vizio booth at CES c02? Or were you in too much of a hurry to get over to the AVN Awards? :P

As far as the Vizio, I got my last one from Amazon.

I love Amazon.

No, I've never been to CES OR the AVN Awards. I glean my info from various podcasts and sites. I would love to check out CES just once. I actually heard a story of a one-time acquaintance who was out at CES, realized AVN was going on, secured some domain name and by the time they left Vegas, sold the domain to a company (AVN participant) for a lifetime membership. This is a great country!
c02
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games