MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

LCD TV's?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: LCD TV's?

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Oh yeah, I understand CostCo has them too. Also, you boycott WalMart but not Best Buy?

I'm not a Costco member so can't but there either. Yes I prefer BestBuy to Walmart. BB has better selection and prices on most electronics, and I think their employee benefits and wages are better.

I went to Walmart a few times and the clerks were useless and just seemed annoyed when I asked questions. Most the shoppers seemed so poor and grubby I didn't feel safe walking in the parking lot to and from my car.

I would love going to Vegas for CES OR the AVN Awards.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:36 am

Shorty wrote:Most the shoppers seemed so poor and grubby I didn't feel safe walking in the parking lot to and from my car.

I would love going to Vegas for CES OR the AVN Awards.

No comment on one's perceived poverty level at Wal-Mart. However the 'grub' factor is proudly on display at:

PeopleofWalMart.com

Warning; it's a bit like pringles. Once you ingest the first page of photos, you can't stop. 60 minutes after opening the site, you'll wipe the drool from your chin hating yourself for losing an hour of your life. Then morbid curiosity gets the best of you and you have to click, "Next" to see what horribly clad mullett or muffin topped skinny jeaned freak is waiting on the next page.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 am

Shorty wrote:
I'm not a Costco member so can't but there either. Yes I prefer BestBuy to Walmart. BB has better selection and prices on most electronics, and I think their employee benefits and wages are better.

I went to Walmart a few times and the clerks were useless and just seemed annoyed when I asked questions. Most the shoppers seemed so poor and grubby I didn't feel safe walking in the parking lot to and from my car.

So no WalMart, Amazon, CostCo, etc. So essentially whatever you can find at the Best Buy. Gotcha. Well I guess you're stuck buying a shitty overpriced TV then.

Don't know what to tell ya.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 am

c02 wrote:I heard one if not two companies have 3-D TV prototypes that don't need glasses but it's extremely rudimentary and not ready for anything but the lab at this point.

Yeah, I have a feeling that before 3D without any glasses whatsoever is introduced to the public, in an effective and affordable way, is farther away than people might hope. That and I have a feeling it's a "different type" of 3D experience, and one that when first introduced to the market will not be as effective overall as what's available right now.
c02 wrote:One other issue for 3-D sets is the fact that the glasses are dark which also cuts down the brightness of the screen. It was noticeable with the one I looked at and I've read about it. The brightness has to compensate for the lens tint leaving one to wonder how effective 3-D is in a the living room in the middle of the day.

The passive 3D glasses in the works won't cut down the brightness nearly as much, though like I said, from what I've read the first ones to hit the market will cut the resolution in half, won't be for a while after that in which a solution where passive glasses will be at full resolution.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:17 am

I bought my TV from amazon a little over a year ago. My husband and I wanted a 50 inch plasma and Consumer Reports recommended a Samsung model. We looked almost everywhere in town and couldn't find the exact model we wanted. We had lousy service at Best Buy - most of the time we were completely ignored and when we finally did corner a salesperson to ask a question he gave us a completely BS answer. I knew enough about televisions to know that it wasn't true but he could have fooled someone less knowledgeable. Anyway, we gave up and ordered the exact model we wanted on Amazon. They have professional delivery people take it to your house and set it up for you. They'll even help you cart your old one down to your basement if you need that done. I believe that they'll return it for free too if anything is wrong with it but ours worked perfectly.

I think it is possible to hook up our TV to the internet but we've got both our TiVo and our Bluray player hooked up wirelessly so we don't need to do the TV too.

I do want a 3D TV at some point, but I don't think the quality is quite there yet. The new ones at CES sounded better with the lighter glasses. Another big problem is the programming since there isn't that much available right now. Once they get football games in 3D then I'll be much more interested.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Athena wrote:
We had lousy service at Best Buy - most of the time we were completely ignored and when we finally did corner a salesperson to ask a question he gave us a completely BS answer. I knew enough about televisions to know that it wasn't true but he could have fooled someone less knowledgeable.

Sounds like your experience with Best Buy is about the same as mine. A bunch of kids with little knowledge who are trained to push particular models.

Speaking of Amazon (again), I just checked my email and they sent a one-day only deal for a Toshiba 40 inch 1080P LCD set. The total price including shipping is only $439.99.

Not a bad price or set for those who said they don't want a huge TV and don't need anything too fancy. Could be a pretty good starter set or something for a bedroom or for those simply on a budget wanting to go HD.

Here's the link.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:46 am

The future radical jump in hz might explain why so many sets went back to 120hz.

I was ready to buy a 240hz Sony about 18 months ago. Then everything jumped back to 120hz and started featuring 3d.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ABCD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:19 pm

MadMind75 wrote:
c02 wrote:I heard one if not two companies have 3-D TV prototypes that don't need glasses but it's extremely rudimentary and not ready for anything but the lab at this point.

Yeah, I have a feeling that before 3D without any glasses whatsoever is introduced to the public, in an effective and affordable way, is farther away than people might hope. That and I have a feeling it's a "different type" of 3D experience, and one that when first introduced to the market will not be as effective overall as what's available right now.
c02 wrote:One other issue for 3-D sets is the fact that the glasses are dark which also cuts down the brightness of the screen. It was noticeable with the one I looked at and I've read about it. The brightness has to compensate for the lens tint leaving one to wonder how effective 3-D is in a the living room in the middle of the day.

The passive 3D glasses in the works won't cut down the brightness nearly as much, though like I said, from what I've read the first ones to hit the market will cut the resolution in half, won't be for a while after that in which a solution where passive glasses will be at full resolution.

Here is the latest tech in 3D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uef17zOCDb8
ABCD

Postby persia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 am

persia
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Vizio dominates LCD TV market in U.S.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20035789-17.html

"Vizio easily bested its competitors in the LCD TV market in the fourth quarter and for all of 2010. The company shipped nearly 2.9 million LCD TVs in the U.S. during the fourth quarter, capturing 27.6 percent market share, research firm iSuppli reported today. That figure was a 55.5 percent jump from the same period a year earlier.

Samsung nabbed the No. 2 spot in LCD TV shipments in the fourth quarter, shipping 2.1 million LCD TVs and capturing 20.2 percent of the market. The company's shipments were up 22.4 percent from the same period a year earlier. Sony trailed with 10.1 percent market share, shipping 1 million LCD TVs last quarter. Sony's shipments were down by 20.4 percent from the same quarter a year earlier."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Wow. They're crushing Samsung already? That's crazy. I love my two Vizios, especially the aforementioned one, but didn't think they'd be knocking out Samsung so soon.

Good for them.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Remember_Me wrote:I don't care what anyone says, VIZIO just simply is the best value when it comes to LCD TVs. Period.

I have started to do some research on behalf of a tech-challenged friend, and so far I certainly agree with this statement. My parents bought a VIZIO for shockingly little money, at Sam's Club or Walmart or some other mass marketer, and it works beautifully.

I have no idea about the warranty or durability of VIZIOs, but on the surface they look like a bargain.

I have a giant SONY tube TV at home, and I love it more than life itself. IT weighs a ton and cost me a fortune 5 years ago. But it does an excellent job with widescreen high def, and the old movies I watch look splendid in the 4:3 format.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 pm

So the first sets with passive glasses, the LG Cinema 3D line, has arrived.
But the 3D is side-by-side and the resolution is halved. LG will try and convince you that the average human cannot perceive the difference between that and full 1080p 3D, but I'm sure there's plenty of viewers who would disagree.
I've read that it's best to wait another year when Samsung will release passive 3D sets that don't sacrifice resolution.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:06 pm

So, in the past two years, I've had a Samsung flatscreen TV and computer monitor.

Both puked shortly after 3 years.

I'm shopping for a Vizio. Fuck Samsung.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games