MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Email Problem

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Email Problem

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:44 pm

My friend and I both have Apples. We both use Firefox. I have TDS and use an old AOL free address. My friend has Charter. Friend tries several times to send me an attachment, which I do not receive. I had an old coworker from DHS send me an attachment, which I received. Friend is able to send attachment to others. I was able to receive friend's attachment via Yahoo. Why couldn't I receive the first attachment? Thanks in advance technos.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Email Problem

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:45 am

Probably something as simple as a size issue. Do you know the size of the attachment? Is it video do you know?

The file name could also be triggering some kind of filter at TDS. If it's a small enough file, have the sender try renaming it. Have you also checked your "spam" folder to make sure it's just not being routed there for some reason?

Lastly, do you only have one email account?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:19 am

I have a yahoo account which receives it just fine. And the AOL email comes through without the attachment. I get attachments (in my AOL ) from everyone else, just fine.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:39 am

Instead of using web-based email like Yahoo or aol you might try downloading Mozilla's Thunderbird app for email and attaching it to your isp mailbox. Your address would be something like (myname/alias)@tds.com. Your friend's would be something like (hisname/alias)@charter.net.

Thunderbird is very Mac friendly and you eliminate the step of going into Firefox to email. I never have attachment problems with Tbird.

Plus web based mail services like yahoo and gmail are scanning all your mail so they can determine what ads they put up on the site for specifically to see.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:19 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:Instead of using web-based email like Yahoo or aol you might try downloading Mozilla's Thunderbird app for email and attaching it to your isp mailbox. Your address would be something like (myname/alias)@tds.com. Your friend's would be something like (hisname/alias)@charter.net.

Thunderbird is very Mac friendly and you eliminate the step of going into Firefox to email. I never have attachment problems with Tbird.

Plus web based mail services like yahoo and gmail are scanning all your mail so they can determine what ads they put up on the site for specifically to see.

We started using this at work and now I use it at home. It's great. I can have all my email accounts in one application and I don't have to log in every time or go to each specific website. It's generally easy to set up if you have standard programs like yahoo and AOL. Work specific one's might require more tech knowledge.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Thunderbird is a nice program. I've used it for many years now. Really glad they added tabs to the new version.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:42 pm

There's also the native Mail program on a Mac. I have Thinderbird at work. Mail is prettier and does all the same stuff. The email problem is on your friends end. Charter probably won't allow the attachment due to size or some other reason. All of you should go sign up for gmail immediately and use whatever mail program you like best.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:55 pm

fisticuffs wrote:There's also the native Mail program on a Mac. I have Thinderbird at work. Mail is prettier and does all the same stuff. The email problem is on your friends end. Charter probably won't allow the attachment due to size or some other reason. All of you should go sign up for gmail immediately and use whatever mail program you like best.

I tried the Mac's Mail app and didn't like it much probably because I've been using T-bird for so long.

I have a gmail account for band and music stuff but the thing I really like about gmail is that, if I want, I can set it up to forward everything I get to go to my isp account automatically and I don't have to go to google to open gmail at all.

Plus, T-bird's junk filter works great once you set it up. Mail that you don't want automatically goes into a designated folder. One of your choosing be it "Junk" that you can look through to make sure it's really junk or right into "Trash" if you really don't care.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I have a gmail account for band and music stuff but the thing I really like about gmail is that, if I want, I can set it up to forward everything I get to go to my isp account automatically and I don't have to go to google to open gmail at all.

That's the reason I switched to gmail in the first place. At the time, no idea if this is still the case, hotmail, yahoo etc. wouldn't allow you to use a program like Mail or Outlook but gmail would. And it was free. Now I would never use anything else. It's address book and calendar play nice with my iPhone, I've got every email I've sent or received since 2005, I can easily search through them,. I've been using the label system instead of folders which has worked nicely as well.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 pm

I had friend send me a smaller document. That did not work. The list says that email has an attachment, but when I open it, there's nothing in it. It may be an AOL issue. I can forward the received attachment from Yahoo to AOL successfully. But cannot forward a seemingly nonexistent attachment from AOL to Yahoo. Still, my AOL receives all my other friend's attachments except from this one person. Size of document does not seem to be the issue.

Changing emails sounds like a pain. I've got numerous subscriptions and a number of stored emails.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:19 am

Bwis53 wrote:Changing emails sounds like a pain. I've got numerous subscriptions and a number of stored emails.

Get in the sauna and thrash yourself with some spruce boughs.
Your AOL account could disappear at any moment – without warning or explanation – so it's better that you orchestrate that transition yourself. That's the way it goes with free e-mail accounts, G-mail seems a good bet for the near term, but that will always depend on market conditions.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 am

fennel wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Changing emails sounds like a pain. I've got numerous subscriptions and a number of stored emails.

Get in the sauna and thrash yourself with some spruce boughs.
Your AOL account could disappear at any moment – without warning or explanation – so it's better that you orchestrate that transition yourself. That's the way it goes with free e-mail accounts, G-mail seems a good bet for the near term, but that will always depend on market conditions.

You're making it sound like the only way to have a secure email is to have a paid one. (In which case I could go with TDS.)
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 am

Bwis53 wrote:You're making it sound like the only way to have a secure email is to have a paid one. (In which case I could go with TDS.)

Correct. You probably get one (possibly more. My isp gives me five) free from TDS. It's just a matter of setting it up with an email application which sounds like a hassle but if you contact their tech support and tell them you're installing T-bird ( or Mac's MAIL app) they will tell you exactly what to do. Then just send a blanket email to all of your contacts with your new address just like you would through snail mail when you move. It's not that big of a deal, really.

Your Mac probably has a mail set-up application that can take you through MAIL. Thunderbird is similar. Look in Mac help. You will need TDS's in/out connection info that you just type in to the spaces when prompted. You do need to pick just one, though.

Seriously, an isp based address is better and the T-bird app is a good one with a pretty good word processor, spellcheck, address book, spam filter etc.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 am

You can easily set up your new email to forward your old email and respond from your new. You can easily transfer over your contacts. You have to get rid of AOL.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Bwis53 wrote:You're making it sound like the only way to have a secure email is to have a paid one. (In which case I could go with TDS.)

TDS just hands you a TDS branded Gmail account.

Just go with plain ol' Gmail. They're not going anywhere.

If there's an email client out there that isn't busy overstepping the bounds of function in pursuit of form, I'm unaware of it. And I get paid to deal with this shit. It's my experience that those who use their email most heavily for business communications aren't impressed with new bells and whistles.

Mozilla is the new Microsoft. No ... wait ... Apple is the new Microsoft. I guess that make Mozilla the new Apple.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games