MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Verizon 4G coming to Madison and Milwaukee

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Verizon 4G coming to Madison and Milwaukee

Postby persia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Yep, and verizon's iPhone is CDMA, which means it won't work if you travel to Europe, Australia or most of the rest of the world....

I'm waiting for iPhone 5 on ATT.
persia
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:45 pm

I never figured out how to get my current iPhone to do voice and data at the same time anyway. And I don't have any money to travel so that doesn't mean anything to me (seriously, for my 10 year anniversary I went to the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia). My main complaint is that I get no signal on my iPhone while grocery shopping at Metcalfe's in Hilldale. This is a huge problem for me as it is one time when I really need to make a phone call. I have no idea what kind of coffee my husband drinks.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Athena wrote:I have no idea what kind of coffee my husband drinks.

Perhaps some good old-fashioned, "non-tele-" communication is in order, huh? :)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:58 pm

I have a iPhone 3GS. I never use voice and data at the same time. I pretty much never use voice. I will never take my phone to Europe. I hear that the charges for using data in Europe are brutal.

Verizon will allow you to use your iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. That sounds great, but I wonder if that will be an additional fee. As I said earlier, the 3G network is not fast enough for a sole source of internet, but it would be nice when I am traveling.

Last time I was looking at phones, the Verizon plans were more expensive. My AT&T plan is $80/month (including taxes and other charges for unlimited data and 1500 text messages). I have another year left on my contract. I don't know what I will do when it ends. I like my iPhone more than the Androids at this moment. In a year, this could be different.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:13 pm

No service in Europe is a deal killer for me. Too bad—I switched from US Cellular to AT&T for the iPhone, and I'm still steamed about the major downgrade in coverage. Though I do get service at Sentry Hilldale...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:01 pm

I should mention I'm still using the original iPhone. That might explain the lousy signal I have in different spots in Madison. And I don't drink coffee so my interest in what kind only extends to the few minutes in the grocery store when I have to get something.
Athena
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games