MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Anyone else having TDS DSL trouble?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Anyone else having TDS DSL trouble?

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:06 am

For the past 6 weeks or so, our TDS DSL has been quite flaky. Most of the time it is OK (though it seems slow), but we have had multiple several-day stretches where service goes in and out (mostly out).

TDS has had canned messages on their tech support line about "reported problems in your area" on many of these occasions and have reset the connection on their end on a couple of other occasions.

Apparently, because I did not wait on line each time to log an official trouble ticket, I'm not experiencing (according to their records) an unusual amount of downtime.

Prior to this latest bout, service had been pretty good and restored quickly on the few unplanned outages that had occurred.

Anyone else having trouble?
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Anyone else having TDS DSL trouble?

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am

I'm OK here on the east shore of Lake Monona.

The worst periods of TDS flakiness usually have come (to me) after a big thunderstorm. Then I'll have to reset the modem several times and my Internet will be messed up, some pages not loading at all and some being normal. (The Isthmus page will load OK; New York Times will take about 20 minutes for the front page. Go figure.) The pattern is consistent.

I realize this makes no sense but it's happened enough times I know to just be patient and use pages that work, and the number of pages that work gradually improves. I called tech about it once and they pretty obviously decided I was crazy, so I just waited and sure enough, it healed itself on its own once again.

Still, I wouldn't change from TDS for anything. Their tech people are knowledgeable and pleasant and seem to live somewhere around here not on the other side of the planet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:43 am

Yes. Mostly okay, but occasionally bad on the west side. I waited on tech support for a while to get through a couple weeks ago and was told that:

a) my modem (which I got free on sign-up) is no longer supported and pretty old.

b) I either need to buy a new modem from them (substantial price) or buy one myself and install it on my own. Nothing more was said. No offers of making this transition easier (I might even be willing to pay for such a plan... imagine that!).

This reminds me of why I'm with TDS in the first place: the other phone companies treated me poorly. It might be policy and legal, but it's crap. It's also a direct incentive to shop elsewhere, which is what these companies don't get. I'm perfectly willing to continue paying (via auto-bill, btw) you every month if you're interested in making me happy as a customer. But now I'm shopping the competition because I can no longer take my internet connection for granted.

I'll switch to the place that offers the best support and best customer reviews of up-time. I have no brand loyalty in this area if the company that's been taking my money for years offers me zero love in return.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 am

Just got another Charter junk mail that went straight in the garbage. I've had Charter before and their service sucked, but I might consider going back if I could find out how much they cost after the introductory period was over. I see "for 1st 12 months" in fine print and I look no further.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:09 pm

I was told my wireless multi-port modem/router is also old and that I had the option of "upgrading" to a new one-port, non-wireless version.

... or lease one comparable to my old one for an undisclosed monthly fee.

No mention was made about changing it out myself to something newer.

I actually went down on two separate occasions and purchased (only to return) a new modem/router combo before TDS fessed up to the problem being on their end.

Mrs. A did not want to change to a different carrier, but that was after one day of outage. We are working on Day 3 now, and I am not so sure that her resistance is what it was...
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:03 pm

What plans (mbps Up/mbps Down) does TDS offer?

The 'undisclosed cost' seems on par with telcoms. Ever try and compare shop online? I go to the TDS website and if I want to know anything about pricing I have to call them. Even with my own provider (AT&T), if they don't offer a higher service in my area (but do in others) I can't even see what they charge or what the plan is. It would be nice to know without the hard sell.

We have had our service for 5 years and have been relatively happy. The modem has had to be restarted a number of times lately to remedy an issue that only seems to pop up during certain use and nothing else. Before that, maybe twice and that was during the last year. The modem likely needs to be swapped out as it has probably reached its life cycle. The service has been great and have never really had to deal with support.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm

c02 wrote:What plans (mbps Up/mbps Down) does TDS offer?

The 'undisclosed cost' seems on par with telcoms. Ever try and compare shop online? I go to the TDS website and if I want to know anything about pricing I have to call them. Even with my own provider (AT&T), if they don't offer a higher service in my area (but do in others) I can't even see what they charge or what the plan is. It would be nice to know without the hard sell.

My understanding is that TDS is no longer offering new residential service in town, since the lines belong to AT&T and they could never make it pay. (They own the lines in Verona/Middleton and on the far west side; you can see their full service offerings on the website if you choose that as your location.)

Personally, I've had zero problems with my AT&T DSL over the past 18 months (getting a little tired of the biweekly U-Verse mailing, though). But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see a competitive third broadband carrier* in Madison.

* Mad City Broadband doesn't count
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Again this morning. Flipped the modem off/on a few times and nothing. Then I tried actually unplugging and replugging the cable between the modem and the wall jack at both ends.

Voila!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games