MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Mike Malloy show on hd radio?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Mike Malloy show on hd radio?

Postby Shorty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 pm

My friend loved listening to the Mike Malloy show on 92.1 fm at 8pm weeknights. Recently the station moved the show to midnight so now my friend can't listen. He doesn't want to pay for Sirius radio or internet to listen those ways. We are wondering if he bought an hd radio if he could pick up the show.

http://www.mikemalloy.com/

Is there a way I can find show listings for the hd radio stations in the Madison area? I see nothing on the 92.1 website and they didn't return my email.
http://www.themic921.com/main.html
Last edited by Shorty on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mike Malloy show on high def radio?

Postby snoqueen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:08 pm

This page gives Madison HD radio stations:

http://www.hdradio.com/stations/Wiscons ... adison-405

There aren't that many, especially when you eliminate WORT, the Christian stations, and the WPR stations, none of which carry the show. Visit the web pages for whatever other stations have a talk format and look at their schedules.

There's a station in Minneapolis that supposedly carries the show at its 9-midnight time: am950ktnf.com/

Can he pick that up? It's a long ways but at night sometimes distant stuff comes through.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:45 am

It's not the radio show (I don't think) but it may be the next best thing to it. Your friend may want to check out his podcast. I don't know how long it is or how close to the radio program it is but it's free.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks for the tips. Podcasts are not free but cost $8/mo or $59/yr. Also, my friend doesn't have an mp3 player, home PC, or internet to download and play podcasts.

http://www.mikemalloy.com/

Yes the hdradio.com page gives HD radio stations, but not their schedule. 92.1 fm does have an HD station for talk, WXXM-HD, but I don't know if Malloy is on it. As I said, "Is there a way I can find show listings for the high-def radio stations in the Madison area"?

Yse 950 am from Minn broadcasts Malloy show from 8-11pm. He tried getting it on his am radio's but can't pick it up. I heard there are long-range AM radio's so will look into them.
Last edited by Shorty on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Sorry. Only looked him up via iTunes. It seems the list presented there are all snippets of shows (free).
c02
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05 am

Yes the hdradio.com page gives HD radio stations, but not their schedule.

As I suggested, click the station's link and view their schedule on their own web page.

We're glad to help around here, but you have to do some of the work yourself.

I think most long distance AM radios need an external antenna, but running a dipole antenna wire up in the attic will often do the trick. If your friend is an elderly person who likes radio, this can provide a lot of enjoyment -- my dad had a setup like this and pulled in stations from all over the place.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 am

There are no links to click for station's on the hdradio.com page. I can't find any Madison hd schedules posted on any web page. There is nothing about the hd schedules on the 92.1 fm page. I have done a lot of search work and I'm not too lazy to click a link, but can't find any schedule links at all.

I find this strange and frustrating. Radio station web pages have their schedules posted for their regular station, but not for their hi-def station(s). Is hd a secret or mystery?

I will look into dipole antennas.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:35 pm

I thought most of the stations broadcast the same schedule on their HD side as they do on their AM side. WPR would be an exception, having its all-classical HD programming. WORT (the only other HD-capable station I am familiar with) broadcasts the same programming on both its channels.

Guess that wasn't totally obvious, so sorry I didn't completely get your question.

I just did a couple lookups on AM antennas and this guy

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/an ... mloop.html

says a loop antenna not a dipole is the way to go. Believe him before you believe me. He gives plenty of details if you scroll down a couple screens. If you google "antenna for AM radio reception" there's plenty of other help.

None of this is real complicated -- it's like WWII engineering and you can figure it out fairly easily. And your friend will probably think it's cool when he pulls in some station in San Antonio.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mike Malloy show on hd radio?

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks but loop and dipole antenna's sound too complicated for me and my friend. He's going to try a long range radio.

Some stations have the same hd schedule as their regular station? Why have the same schedule on two stations? Makes no sense.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mike Malloy show on hd radio?

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:23 am

The idea was, at first, everybody was going to eventually adopt the HD format and the other side would gradually be abandoned as more and more people got HD radios. This doesn't seem to be working out as planned, since the FCC has no plan to force stations to abandon the analog format and thus require people to buy new hardware. For now many stations are broadcasting both sides in parallel (simulcast), which is obviously cheaper than coming up with a whole new program and schedule for one side or the other.

HD originally stood for hybrid digital -- it's not the same as HDTV and mostly means the radio station sends out a digital signal more or less on top of their original analog one at the same frequency. HD radio does not make better use of the radio bandwidth or open up space for new stations on the spectrum. (It does allow a station to broadcast in surround sound, but most people don't have speakers set up for that anyway.)
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games