MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter modem - lease or buy?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Charter modem - lease or buy?

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Charter internet raised their modem charge from $5/mo to $7/mo. Instead of renting I could buy my own modem, such as a $60 Motorola SB5101 from Best Buy. But if the Motorola modem has a problem Charter will charge a fee for working on it, whereas there is no charge for working on problems with their modem.

Which sounds like a better deal, renting the Charter modem which includes service or buying my own modem with no service included? What do you other Charter customers do?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Charter modem - lease or buy?

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Personally, I'd buy my own- if for no other reason than to deny Charter the add'l rent. After 9 months, if any problem arise, you could buy a new one and still be ahead.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Charter modem - lease or buy?

Postby c02 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm with jman. Once upon a time when I was actually a Charter customer I had huge modem issues. The thing was old (6+ years) and had been paid for x-times over in 'rent.' A tech was at our house, said he thought we needed a new modem, even pulled the thing out of the box. However, he thought about it twice and promptly placed it back in and never replaced the old POS.

Buy your own. There is nothing a Charter tech is going to do for a suspect modem other than charge you a stupid amount of money for something you can figure out yourself.
c02
Forum Addict

Return to Technology & Video Games