MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

4S, anyone?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

4S, anyone?

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm

iPhone 4S, that is. My AT&T contract is up, so I'll probably replace my 3GS with the 4S and switch to Verizon. Anyone else upgrading?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 4S, anyone?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Upgrading from the 3GS I bought the day after it came out and also switching to Verizon. See you in line next friday?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:09 pm

What about Verizon's labor dispute? I would boycott them. I doubt AT&T is any better. Sprint and US Cell may be ok.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Sprint and US Cell may be ok.

I would like Sprint but I'm out in the boonies and reception is non-existent. I like the all-you-can-eat data of course but after reviewing the usage on our current plans and considering the discount my wife's company gets with Verizon I gotta go that route. I'm also not terribly confident Sprint won;t soon be gobbled up by a larger competitor although access to the 4S will surely help them avoid that.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Going from 3Gs to 4S, too, as is my wife. We're legacy AT&T customers, and while service is occasionally spotty (and in the case of this last weekend, frustratingly nonexistent for a stretch), we just haven't had the problems other people have reported. Regardless, our plan is so sweet we couldn't possibly give it up.

Dunno when, but it'll happen. Soonish, I'm sure. The voice rec looks pretty nifty, and I'm excited about the dual core processor.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:37 pm

I get a global plan through work, and my options are AT&T or Verizon. AT&T is great in Europe, but at home near the Square it's total shite. Doesn't help that I came to AT&T from US Cellular, so the coverage nosedive was particularly steep.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I would like Sprint but I'm out in the boonies and reception is non-existent. I like the all-you-can-eat data of course but after reviewing the usage on our current plans and considering the discount my wife's company gets with Verizon I gotta go that route. I'm also not terribly confident Sprint won;t soon be gobbled up by a larger competitor although access to the 4S will surely help them avoid that.

Sprint will happily roam onto Verizon or US Cellular's network. I made the jump from VZW to Sprint about 18 months ago and I've had zero complaints.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:21 am

Another customer stuck in the S loop and going from 3GS -> 4S. I have better reception with AT&T than with Verizon in the areas I commonly use my phone so I won't be switching.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Another customer stuck in the S loop and going from 3GS -> 4S. I have better reception with AT&T than with Verizon in the areas I commonly use my phone so I won't be switching.

I wouldn't say you're stuck. Most data I've seen considers the 3GS to be the most reliable of the iPhones mostly since it was a revision of a previous design. it also hasn't dropped off at all on software updates until now. I'd expect the S model to be a good buy. of course i could be eating my hat when the 5 comes out and it does crazy shit i haven;t even thought of.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:18 pm

I've been a free agent for a few years now, and have spent the last year trying to decide if I want to go Android or iPhone. I'd been leaning iPhone anyway, this looks like a good time to finally commit.

I've been with Verizon for a long, long time with nothing to complain about, I'll probably stay with them.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:25 pm

So what's the advantage of an iPhone over an Android at this point?

My biggest objection is with price of mandated data plans. I'm seriously looking at this Virgin Mobile deal of $25 per month for unlimited data. All you have to do is buy the phone outright from Radio Shack or whatever.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:30 pm

I think Android is a fine choice, but I probably wouldn't ever consider one because of the delivery model for new OS versions. I hate the entire concept of having to wait for your phone to get the new OS until months/years/never after it is released because it requires active support from people who have less motivation to keep your phone updated (so they can sell new phones).

I think the typical argument in favor of Android is a more open marketplace with more features of the phone available for developer use, cheaper apps on average, widgets, and more cutting-edge hardware. And Flash.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm delighted with the cheap Android smartphone from Virgin Mobile and the $25/month no-contract plan.
Last edited by Kenneth Burns on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 pm

jjoyce wrote:So what's the advantage of an iPhone over an Android at this point?

Camera, I think, dunno what else.

For me, it's a style/comfort issue. I've been Mac since '86, so the iPhone interface is as familiar as breathing. Music's handled by iTunes, images by iPhoto, just like on my Air.

And I don't know how the Droid is packaged, but unpacking a new iPhone is practically a religious experience. Not a selling point for many people, I suppose, but Apple's dialed the shit out of that experiential stuff, and that matters to me.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:
jjoyce wrote:So what's the advantage of an iPhone over an Android at this point?

Camera, I think, dunno what else.

The question is a tough one to answer in that format, honestly. Are you asking about iOS vs Android OS in a generic sense? Or are you asking about iPhone 4S vs a specific fill-in-the-blank Android-powered phone?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games