MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP Dennis Ritchie

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

RIP Dennis Ritchie

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:26 pm

The article's title is "The shoulders Steve Jobs Stood On."

I was waiting for somebody else to do it and now it's days late, but here it is. Steve Jobs deserves all the praise he's gotten, from the public and the geeks. Dennis put a lot of cornerstones in the foundation, and he's not getting much attention from anywhere but the geeks.

I bump into Apple stuff in my work now and then, but Ritchie wrote things that are part and parcel of every minute of my working day. And long after I retire it'll still be there. Probably long after my grandchildren retire. Not a bad thing to put on a tombstone.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RIP Dennis Ritchie

Postby hellogoodbye » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:21 pm

My mom worked at Bell Labs in Naperville IL and referenced Mr. Ritchie many times. She loved UNIX, it just made sense to her brain and would sing its praises to all. She was part of a large group that used UNIX and other languages to design and implement #5ESS, which I believe may have been the first all digital phone switch. She traveled to Murray Hill, NJ a few times to work on more advanced projects and met Mr. Ritchie. Oddly enough her office mate was from Madison and went to MATC in the late 70's, apparently they had a very good and respected computer science dept at the time.

Sidenote: with Fermilab's Tevatron shutting down a few weeks ago the brain drain of that wonderful IL technological corridor may be complete.
hellogoodbye

Return to Technology & Video Games