MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Recommendations for e-Book readers

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Recommendations for e-Book readers

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Its pretty easy to shoplift at Staples, might be worth a look.

except i know the e-ink is better with new generation. life is not fair, I deserve a big reader
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:24 am

I love my Kindle touch. The Kindle dx which is 9.7 in is still available but not in a touch version. I thought about getting it because I read a lot & fast- but decided to pass on the keyboard & the touch is working out well. Once you get a feel for it you can turn the page at just the right time.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm

I still haven't splurged on an ereader yet - it's been all talk, no action. An old model, hand-me-down Kindle fell into my lap.

I REALLY crave an ereader with a light. I almost went for the Nook Glowlight, but put a STOP on that project when I learned that the text was not quite as sharp an the older version nook. F that.

The Kindle Paperwhite looks like a beauty. The only criticism I've seen is that there is some splotching in background in very dark reading conditions. From youtube revirews/demos, that is very minor condition.

Well, I really hate to commit to the greedy Amazon ecosystem, which forces people to only use their proprietary format. I really wanted to support the more open system of Nook. But the Paperwhite lures me into the Amazon evil empire, like sirens singing on the rocks.

Anybody try a paperwhite? I know Nook will respond with something better, but when?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm

The Kindle Paperwhite looks like a beauty.

It is the one to buy right now.
Well, I really hate to commit to the greedy Amazon ecosystem, which forces people to only use their proprietary format

My Kindle touch e-reader lets me load in crap in all sorts of formats. I don't think you have to be too worried.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:My Kindle touch e-reader lets me load in crap in all sorts of formats. I don't think you have to be too worried.

ya, I know it is not a big issue as practical matter. But there are some ePub format books at library that won't work on Kindle. ePub was supposed to be the cross-platform standard that would work on all readers. Only Amazon, the 600-pound gorilla, refuses to support it. They are fuckers, using their near-monopoly power of vertical integration to piss on their competition.

Thanks for your encouragement for paperwhite, I will take plunge into dark waters.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:40 pm

But there are some ePub format books at library that won't work on Kindle. ePub was supposed to be the cross-platform standard that would work on all readers.

Hmm. Guess I'm not that familiar. The wife gets e-books from the library to her Kindle all the time, also surprisingly to her iPad. our library uses this site;
http://dbooks.wplc.info/429228F7-9B9A-4 ... efault.htm
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I suspect the ePub issue will be dwindling. I guess Amazon has successfully killed off ePub, which is huge blow to consumers. Now we can't easily change ereader brands.

I just googled "epub dead" and this guy points out that the kindle lending library has created a monopoly. Interesting article:
http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2011/04/ ... b-is-dead/

On differrent issue, the publishers are stiffing libraries.
http://ebooksforlibraries.com/

Well, guess I'm going to become a serf in the Amazon information fiefdom.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 pm

On differrent issue, the publishers are stiffing libraries.

Makes sense. Content origniators are doing it with TV and Music and film as best they can too. To some extent they have to. It's too easy for this stuff to become a free for all and the people making this stuff do deserve to make some money on it. I haven't done the library thing yet at all. First off the selection of books I want just isn't there...see above. Second the wait times are long if there was something I wanted, and third I don't like to be tied to a timeline when I might not finish the book before it's due. I've just been buying them all outright from Amazon although I did get a couple books emailed to me.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Can anybody give some guidance on the quality of the web browsers in the Kindle Fire etc? Are they workable, or too compromised to be good for much?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:Can anybody give some guidance on the quality of the web browsers in the Kindle Fire etc? Are they workable, or too compromised to be good for much?

The Kindle Fire runs a somewhat customized Android OS so the browser is pretty decent, though it's still a mobile device, so how well a given site renders is going to depend on the level of attention the site developers have devoted to what's called "responsive web design" (basically developing with handheld devices in mind in addition to traditional browsers).

The other Kindle devices are really designed more as dedicated e-readers. They do have web browsing capability, but aside from the Amazon store, results are going to be extremely hit or miss. It's more an experimental thing or something you could use in a pinch if all you have at hand is your Kindle. Can't speak to the Nook, but I suspect it's pretty much the same deal.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 pm

I have the Kindle Paperwhie in my clutches and I really love it. The lighting and clarity of text make it so much more enjoyable. The original Kindle just didn't have enough contrast for my eyes.

The Overdrive system accessed from the library's Linkcat page is very easy to use.

My minor gripe remains that Kindle doesn't support EPUB. I decided I have urgent need to do some improving reading, and Charles Dickens is a good place to start. All but 5 of the 36 titles on Overdrive are EPUB only. I suppose those are public domain titles that are available for cheap on Amazon, so not a huge deal, but annoying.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Huckleby wrote:My minor gripe remains that Kindle doesn't support EPUB. I decided I have urgent need to do some improving reading, and Charles Dickens is a good place to start. All but 5 of the 36 titles on Overdrive are EPUB only. I suppose those are public domain titles that are available for cheap on Amazon, so not a huge deal, but annoying.

You can get conversion software for your PC that will take care of that problem. I use Calibre on my Mac (freeware--can't beat the price!) that also organizes the library and makes it easy to search for new titles. You can set it up to automatically convert anything you find & download it to your Kindle, which is what I did.

Highly recommended.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm

thanks, i'll give that a try.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Also, check out Project Gutenberg for public domain stuff (lots of Dickens, for example):

http://www.gutenberg.org

They offer the .mobi format, which Kindle supports (and which is listed as the "Kindle" format on their site).
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm still delighted with my hacked Nook Color, but I suspect my next purchase in this vein won't be a dedicated e-reader. I've been looking closely at Google's Nexus 7 tablet, which presumably is a fine e-reader, and many other things.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games