MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Murfie.com (Madison's own)

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Murfie.com (Madison's own)

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:31 am

Executive Q&A: Turbo Tap inventor pores over CDs

So I don't get it, Murfie.com is just for people who have money to burn, who are too busy and/or too lazy to make rips of their own CDs?
I'm sorry but charging people to make rips of their own CDs doesn't seem like a business model with much potential for longevity. But hey that's just me. Most people don't even pay for music anymore. So if they've already paid for the CD, they're going to pay even more to have someone else convert it into an audio file format of their choice? This sounds like a limited market to tap, i.e. long-time music collectors who have run out of room for their collections and have just recently joined the digital revolution or simply haven't mustered up the time & effort required to rip their CDs.

Thoughts?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re: Murfie.com (Madison's own)

Postby Detritus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:51 am

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:57 am

Not to mention giving up your hard copy strips you of the ability to make direct copies (whether it be for back-up purposes or to give to a friend etc.).

Maybe someone failed to clue the owner in that there's already a place where almost every album in existence is stored and [freely] distributed. They're called file-sharing programs.

Confession; I haven't actually purchased music in over a decade - and I plan on keeping it that way. Wherever you fall on the issue, you can not put the cat back in the bag. Things will never be the same.
Of course... this is coming from someone who thinks that everything should be free.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby sabuye » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I could see this being a useful service for people who (like me) have boxes upon boxes of CDs in their basement that never get listened to anymore, and who (unlike me) have extra cash to pay someone else to do it for them.

However, I agree that it's not a sustainable business model because they'll never get repeat business.

MadMind75 wrote:Confession; I haven't actually purchased music in over a decade - and I plan on keeping it that way. Wherever you fall on the issue, you can not put the cat back in the bag. Things will never be the same.
Of course... this is coming from someone who thinks that everything should be free.

Lame. Sorry, I know I'm new here and all, but stealing is stealing, whether or not you think it should be free. How do you compensate the artists for their work? I'm not a shill for the RIAA or anything, but I am a musician and content producer and the hubris of people who think they are entitled to take other peoples' hard work for free is extremely irritating.
sabuye

Return to Technology & Video Games