MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Do you get Fox 47 over the air?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Do you get Fox 47 over the air?

Postby sabuye » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:57 am

Most people I know on the near East side don't get Fox 47 over the air unless they have a large rooftop (or attic) antenna. Do you?

I live about 3 miles NE of the capitol and don't get it. I get the rest of the channels. I've tried a few different antennae.
sabuye

Re: Do you get Fox 47 over the air?

Postby jtmehrin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 am

I live on near east side ( near Jenifer St Market) and we get ch. 47 just fine with a basic rabbit ears antenna hooked up to the tv.

Have you re-scanned lately for the channels? Sometimes you need to do that to pick up a channel if they've made changes to their signal. Hope that helps.

When we first tried over the air TV a few years ago we got everything but 47.
jtmehrin

Postby minicat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am

We can't get it over by Olbrich either. I'll have to figure out how to do the channel re-scan ...
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:29 pm

No problem in the lower Maple Bluff area- I just set up a small set-top antenna and converter box for someone in that area. Although, it is in an upstairs room, so that may have helped.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sabuye » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for your replies. I did a channel re-scan, and now we get it. I swear I've done that before. I just wish I'd tried again before football season was over.

Odd thing is that most of the programming is standard definition/4:3/pillarboxed. Looks crappy.
sabuye

Postby Refugee IL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 am

FWIW, Fox 47 replaced their original, low powered ATSC transmitter operating on the notorious VHF band with a new, higher powered transmitter on the UHF band, quite close to the original analog station's frequency, late in 2010.

Some TV stations are being allowed to simulcast their programming on both frequencies, I guess so that non-tech savvy people don't lose the station altogether. If that's the case and you haven't done a channel rescan lately, now would be a good time.

What you want to see is your channel 47 coming from channel 49, and not channel 11. Hope that clears things up. :mrgreen:
Refugee IL

Return to Technology & Video Games