MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

How many facebook friends do you have?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

How many facebook friends do you have?

Postby Shorty » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:23 am

I have 147 facebook friends. About half are from my high school near St Louis that I never see anymore. We use FB as a virtual reunion. How many FB friends do you have?

Also, be careful who you defriend. It could lead to violence like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-death-ca ... 00253.html

"A couple in Tennessee was killed recently when the father of a woman they defriended and another man allegedly entered their home and shot them both in the head. According to Reuters, this isn't the only violent ending to a Facebook friendship. In Iowa last year, a woman was arrested for allegedly setting fire to a friend's garage in a case of Facebook gone bad. In Texas, a man hit his wife for not "liking" something he posted on Facebook. According to Mashable, a disgruntled father shot his 15-year-old daughter's computer after she posted to the social networking site a post in which she complained about the chores she has to do."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How many facebook friends do you have?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

Friends? More like the cyber equivalent of pen pals.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 am

I quit FB last summer.

Too many "Anal Cream Jones was at Subway" updates.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 am

118 right now. A few are HS friends from California, a few are college friends, a few are former coworkers from my previous career. A bunch are fellow Hash House Harriers. And a few are former students who have graduated HS, and one who has graduated college too.

And of course the three siblings I get along well with are in there too.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:28 am

40. I'd like to leave and I still might but right now it's where we have to go if we want the latest photos of grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and other random baby photos.

One of these days I might accept that friendship request from that cute Korean girl I've never met. She seems nice.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:07 pm

922. People I don't know friend me all the time, and I accept these requests indiscriminately. Only connect.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Somewhere in the 60's. It's too much trouble to go look.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:13 pm

168. 0 from high school, 1 from my hometown, 6 family, and most of the rest are work/music/moto friends and acquaintances. A few politicians, a few neighbors, that's about it.

I was a late adopter, but I've grown quite fond of facebook. I probably spend half an hour there most days in few-minute bursts, longer when I'm bored. I skip days at a time when I'm really busy with work.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Ducatista wrote:I was a late adopter, but I've grown quite fond of facebook.

You mean I could be getting condensed bursts of the Ducatista wit on a much more regular basis? Ooo! Friend me! Friend me!
(Seriously, girl -- when did you get on FB?)

In the couple-plus years I've been on FB, I've let just about anyone friend me, but I've only felt the need to unfriend people on three occasions. #1: The HS acquaintance who would update his status every day to tell everyone how many days sober he was (this was in addition to his 87 other daily posts about every single thought that crossed his sober mind.) That got old really quick. #2: The local buffoon who launched into a tirade about "what's wrong with music today" after I posted an adorable video of a 6-yr. old kid performing "Folsom Prison Blues" (he shot a man in Weeno! So cute!) After I deleted his idiotic comments from my page (there were a dozen posts at least, and half of those were personally abusive) he sent me a private message explaining that he'd always thought I was a jerk. Ummm... you friended me, doofus! And 3) Harrissimo.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Done!

I joined in '09, posted a few halfhearted times in '10, then decided to give it a legit shot about this time last year.

I haven't unfriended anyone, but I have blocked a few from my timeline (or whatever).
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:01 pm

I tried Facebook very briefly under a pseudonym (I know that's a Facebook no-no, so shoot me). I wanted to follow some younger people in my family, that's all. They don't send emails because it's too slow, which I have no choice but to accept, so I tried it their way.

I couldn't STAND that cluttered, bizarre thing. Pictures of some realtor I met once at a conference? Pictures of 20-year-olds I went to MATC with six years ago? People I emailed once in my life for some business reason and intended never to hear from again? Details of my much-younger relatives' personal lives that are really, really not my business? How did Facebook make these creepy connections for me? I felt like I was in some subdivision of hell. I figured out how to keep their every thought from popping up on the page, but the whole experience was too weird.

I actually think I had a nightmare about it one night where every random person from my past was chasing me around. I'll never, ever go back.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Facebook doesn't reward the passive or the skittish. Your plot of facebook soil isn't going to tend itself. Leave it alone, and the weeds and pests will win. But invest a little time culling and cultivating, and you can have whatever sort of social garden you like.

Really, it takes just a modest effort to construct a tailor-made feed of posts, links, and photos from the people you find interesting and entertaining. That's a fairly small group for me. Some are people I see frequently, some are people I see once in a while, and a few are friends I haven't seen in years (in one case, over 20 years). And a couple are people I'll never meet who challenge and/or entertain me. (Who knew George Takei was so amusing?)

Lots of conviviality for not much work. Like.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 pm

209. I'm a whore but not a cheap one.

I gotta go and update my status now on how many days I've been sober.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:47 am

Somewhere slightly south of 300. I'm actually somewhat selective of who I'll friend and I routinely cull the list as well as preferring not to "friend" family members. Those worlds don't need to collide.

I was on Friendster which was rapidly abandoned for Myspace. I even had an account on Orkut (me and a few thousand criminals in Brazil, apparently - but none of my actual friends). As a result of all of those misfires, I refused to join Facebook up until last year. Even then, I didn't use my real last name. I'm happier not reconnecting with people from high school.

I had a large social circle when I lived in a larger city, and it's been fantastic for keeping in touch with those friends. It's also been invaluable in maintaining contact with friends as they mill about the globe. Heck, I even catch myself occasionally checking in when I'm out and about and I sometimes get notifications when friends are nearby - although I have yet to act upon said notifications.
Petro
Forum Addict

Return to Technology & Video Games