MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

How many Meetup groups are you in?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: How many Meetup groups are you in?

Postby Galoot » Sat May 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Shorty, does everything outdoors have to be a cardio workout? What's wrong with a nice game of softball, taking it easy? Go for your 5 mile run some other time.

I moved here in 1997, got divorced in '99, and within just a few years, I'd made scads of friends here in Madison. And I'm one of the quietest and most introverted people you'd ever meet (as a fellow teacher described me).

I missed the Friday Night Skate in SF, so I started Mad City Rollers and for quite a few years, we had a Friday Night skate right here. I gave free inline skate lessons to hundreds of people outside of Willy St Bikes (now Machinery Row). I went to the UW Ballroom Dance Association dances and resumed the dancing that I had given up when I got married, and took lots more lessons. I helped start a swing dance club (Lindy Messengers) and gave lots of swing dance lessons at various places. I started Madison Freecycle, which put me in touch with that many more fellow Madisonians.

In 2002 or 2003 I started running with the Hash House Harriers running/drinking club. So you're not a beer drinker, big deal. Neither are some of my fellow hashers. Some drink wine, some just drink water.

I've gone to a great many Wednesday night bike rides, and met some great people there too. Although I'll admit that bicyclists tend to be the most exclusive group I've ever met, so I won't necessarily recommend that.

These aren't to brag about things I've done, they're to point out that a complete introvert/geek like me can get out there and make the effort and meet people, and get a good workout in at the same time. I recall being out with a friend on State Street in around 2003, and I kept running into people I knew, again and again--it felt like a small town to me at that point.

Turn off the computer and go out and do something!
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun May 13, 2012 12:35 am

Shorty wrote:I do enjoy some bowling and softball because they are more active. But they aren't a great cardio workout and leagues and playing on a regular basis have not interested me, I guess because they get too boring and would cause injuries (bowling repetitive stress).

With today's aggressive cover stock options, you can throw a 15 pound ball instead of a 16, and still maintain pin carry, while reducing the chances of a repetitive-motion injury.

Whew! The bowling nerd in me has wanted to type that sentence for a while now.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun May 13, 2012 8:29 am

Igor wrote:With today's aggressive cover stock options, you can throw a 15 pound ball instead of a 16, and still maintain pin carry, while reducing the chances of a repetitive-motion injury.

Whew! The bowling nerd in me has wanted to type that sentence for a while now.

It never occurred to me that there would be such a thing as a "bowling nerd." I suppose there isn't a pastime without its connoisseurs, though.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 14, 2012 10:54 am

What's a "Meetup group"?

No, really, I had to look up what a Meetup group is. Is it like Myspace? ICQ?

Shorty, if you want to utilize technology as an intermediary for fostering new friendships, get yourself on Twitter and start interacting. You can even take it with you when you're getting all that cardio.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 pm

http://www.meetup.com
You find people who like to do the same stuff you do and somebody says let's do something on this date and people sign up and so you have kinda an idea how many people are gonna be there. And a map. And stuff.

I am not a member of this meetup group:
http://www.meetup.com/VegMadison/

Well... I'm assuming that this is what Shorty was talking about.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Left my <sarcasm> tag open, sorry.

But thank you, rabble. It did, in all honesty, take me a moment to grasp what the opening question was in reference to.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Sometimes it's fun to just answer the question instead of asking why the heck you asked it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:29 pm

rabble wrote:
I am not a member of this meetup group:
http://www.meetup.com/VegMadison/

I just joined this one:
http://www.meetup.com/VagMadison/

It's fucking awesome!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Meetup.com has been down a lot since Feb 27 due to a denial of service attack. There goes my social life.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games