MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What I Want in a Smart Phone

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

What I Want in a Smart Phone

Postby john_titor » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:24 pm

There are all sorts of start-ups and incubators in Dane County right? Please make me a phone where I can "virtualize" other phones. I want to have my work phone and my private phone in two separate environments, but on the same device (like esx or something). They can wipe everything work related and it won't impact me. Another vm to run apps and o.s.'s. Vm for finance. Naughty droid stuff sanboxed. Built-in, turn back on ringer after the movie is over feature. Disposable phone numbers would be nice too.

TFTF,

j_t
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What I Want in a Smart Phone

Postby Petro » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:43 pm

VMWare's been pushing for this for years, including PoC demos.

I think the biggest thing standing in the way of this is the limited number of people that'd pony up the bucks for this feature. In addition to that, the hardware abstraction layer that you'd need to bake in to enable this is going to draw resources and power with little direct benefit. We're rapidly approaching a point with recent releases like the ARM15 where we've got more power on tap than any phone really needs for any current functionality - so battery life is the only real drawback.

But really, couldn't you get halfway there with something along the lines of a true multiuser environment on the handset with apps & prefs all stashed in a strictly-defined profile/homedir? Instead of virtualizing the entire OS on top of a bare metal layer, just give the same OS multiple personalities via user profiles. Need to nuke a "work" personality? Sure. Just securely delete that account. Done. The only real drawback is that you'd need to get user-switching done quickly enough to avoid missing a phone call if it came in on a profile that didn't currently have focus.

I'd also wonder what kind of trickery you'd need to pull on the baseband to get it to pull multiple personalities on multiple radio networks at the same time without drawing multiple times the usual power level.

The simplest solution in the short term would be to implement the additional phone numbers via SIP or some other off-the-shelf VoIP protocol, much in the way that Google Voice or Burner operate.

I sorta wish we still had a de facto standard for enterprise mobile phones, like Blackberry held years ago. These sorts of features could really find traction in the enterprise market if the OEM felt that it'd drive their sales strongly enough to warrant the R&D & support costs.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:48 pm

I think the biggest thing standing in the way of this is the limited number of people that'd pony up the bucks for this feature.

The whole BYOD thing is going to fizzle bad. It's too hard trying to secure every device under the sun. The youth must have it, so it will be allowed. The easy push is to hand out iPhones. If Droid wants to stay in, they better do some thing soon.

In addition to that, the hardware abstraction layer that you'd need to bake in to enable this is going to draw resources and power with little direct benefit. We're rapidly approaching a point with recent releases like the ARM15 where we've got more power on tap than any phone really needs for any current functionality - so battery life is the only real drawback.

Didn't IBM come out with some quote last week saying in 10 years the energy costs to compute will be almost nil? I don't think that will be a problem. At the very least with all the radio waves they will probably light up like an RFID chip.

But really, couldn't you get halfway there with something along the lines of a true multiuser environment on the handset with apps & prefs all stashed in a strictly-defined profile/homedir? Instead of virtualizing the entire OS on top of a bare metal layer, just give the same OS multiple personalities via user profiles. Need to nuke a "work" personality? Sure. Just securely delete that account. Done.

I want to let people do insecure stuff on a different partition, and not have to rely on file permissions to secure the content I care about.

I'd also wonder what kind of trickery you'd need to pull on the baseband to get it to pull multiple personalities on multiple radio networks at the same time without drawing multiple times the usual power level.

Some guys made a phone that did just this; software based frequency and networks. I just tried to find the article but couldn't. I think it came out this spring.

The simplest solution in the short term would be to implement the additional phone numbers via SIP or some other off-the-shelf VoIP protocol, much in the way that Google Voice or Burner operate.

Agreed.

I sorta wish we still had a de facto standard for enterprise mobile phones, like Blackberry held years ago. These sorts of features could really find traction in the enterprise market if the OEM felt that it'd drive their sales strongly enough to warrant the R&D & support costs.

I believe that new standard is called Apple.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:18 pm

john_titor wrote:I believe that new standard is called Apple.

Apple's already learned that they aren't really interested in supporting professionals. They want to cater to the widest swath of humanity with the lowest support costs possible.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm

I need to learn how to write a patent. Not sure if this allows two phone numbers on one device or not. As you suggested Petro, VMWare is a player.Actually there is a lot of stuff in the article you brought up. Maybe I can still make my millions...or better yet Titor_Petro Corp can.

"Late next year, consumers will be able to buy smartphones that either come with native hypervisor software or use an app allowing them to run two interfaces on the phone: one for personal use, one for work."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... nomyId=227
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06 pm

john_titor wrote:I need to learn how to write a patent.
LOL. As if Apple and other mobile giants don't already have heaps of competing patents covering this very concept. Were these features to become popular and revenue-generating, the patent lawyers would surely begin to target them.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Nope, I thought of it first, three months ago. Prior art is right up there. I want my two dollars.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:39 am

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 am

To keep an extra OS running under the surface you're going to kill performance and battery. If you wanted dual-boot more like Boot Camp on a Mac that could probably work. Would chew up a ton of space but no reason it couldn't do it. Something like VMWare though would be too resource heavy. These companies are doing everything they can to keep the main OS efficient.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games