MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

My internet is faster than yours!

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:Here it is again, done at 12:50 pm. Marginally better. Video streaming often sucks. Do you think I should complain to them? I know so little about this stuff.


You might call AT&T and ask what you were promised.


It is hard to interpret the download speed numbers, because you don't know how long the network path is to the test server. The download speed is affected both by your ISP and the rest of the internet path.

I notice that the ping times for the super-fast speeds posted in this thread are tiny. Perhaps speedtest.net has a test server living at the UW.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Detritus » Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Huckleby wrote:I notice that the ping times for the super-fast speeds posted in this thread are tiny. Perhaps speedtest.net has a test server living at the UW.

We're cheating, Huck. When you're on campus, connecting through the UW, you are essentially on the Internet backbone. The surprise is that there is any measurable latency to the ping test at all. In my case, the lag is probably due to my connecting via wifi rather than ethernet.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 pm

huh. I assume the speednet test server also must be on or near the backbone to get your fabulous, fabulous results.


Come to think of it ......perhaps all the major ISPs (AT&T, Charter, etc.) have direct connections to the backbone. And maybe the speednet test depends mainly on the performance of the ISP's subnet.

Anyone? Anyone?

edit: well, I know my test results are dramatically different for speedtest.net and another test provided by cisco. So the numbers must depend on network paths, and are therefore hard to interpret.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby rabble » Tue May 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Huckleby wrote:huh. I assume the speednet test server also must be on or near the backbone to get your fabulous, fabulous results.


Come to think of it ......perhaps all the major ISPs (AT&T, Charter, etc.) have direct connections to the backbone. And maybe the speednet test depends mainly on the performance of the ISP's subnet.

Anyone? Anyone?

I thought it was a pretty simple equation. The more people on your net, the more servers you need to keep the speed up. The more servers you run, the more you spend. So if profit is your only goal, you run the minimum speed you can so you don't need to add more equipment and maintenance workers. Therefore the only people running at max are the ones on networks that aren't profit-based.

Isn't that how it works?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6474
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Sandi » Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm

uckleby wrote:Come to think of it ......perhaps all the major ISPs, AT&T, Charter, etc. have direct connections to the backbone. And maybe the speednet test depends mainly on the performance of the ISP's subnet.


Yes, all ISPs and server hosts are connected to the backbone.

I prefer to use Ping Test to see what my internet looks like. It and speedtest.net are run by Ookla Net Metrics

The "ping" is how long it takes a packet of data to travel from your computer to the speedtest server, and back to your computer again.

But the pingtest measures a lot more than ping time. It also checks jitter, or how much noise is included.

Pingtest checks how many packets are lost. Lost packets are transparent to you, as lost packets are simply resent if not acknowledged on your end. Resent packets take more time and slow overall speed.

Pingtest will rate your internet grade A through F.

Bandwidth ( transfer speed ) is what is shown as download speed on speedtest.net. However the results are usually ideal conditions, so not real world results.

A better test ( though still not real world results ) would be to see what you get on pingtest.net instead of speedtest.net.

My Ping Test results. I had to use Chicago as Germantown Wisconsin was not responding.

Image
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue May 21, 2013 5:48 pm

I guess a grade of B is ok.
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-05-21 at 5.44.03 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-05-21 at 5.44.03 PM.png (49.31 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:33 am
Location: Northeast side

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Sandi » Tue May 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Can't read it your image is too small, but looks like AT&T which is probably DSL, and not nearly as fast as cable.

Next time click where it says "Forum Link" and it will copy the forum image code to your clipboard. All you have to do is past it in your post.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Sandi wrote:Can't read it your image is too small, but looks like AT&T which is probably DSL, and not nearly as fast as cable.


AT&T has two kinds of DSL. The uVerse version runs on fiber optic cable, and really could have very high bandwidths. But it doesn't, it's just OK.

I really like uVerse a lot for their TV & DVR. (The TV channels are brought to your home over internet protocol, which offers many advantages, like ability to record lots of channels.) But the internet speed is unsatisfying.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 21, 2013 8:04 pm

rabble wrote: I thought it was a pretty simple equation. The more people on your net, the more servers you need to keep the speed up. The more servers you run, the more you spend. So if profit is your only goal, you run the minimum speed you can so you don't need to add more equipment and maintenance workers. Therefore the only people running at max are the ones on networks that aren't profit-based.

Isn't that how it works?


I think that is partially right, although the hardware resources needed to keep the speed up are things like fiber optic cable and fast routers. And I imagine the ISP pays for their overall bandwidth to the backbone.

Of course the ISPs are in competition with each other to provide faster bandwidths.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Sandi » Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Huckleby wrote:AT&T has two kinds of DSL. The uVerse version runs on fiber optic cable, and really could have very high bandwidths. But it doesn't, it's just OK.

I really like uVerse a lot for their TV & DVR. (The TV channels are brought to your home over internet protocol, which offers many advantages, like ability to record lots of channels.) But the internet speed is unsatisfying.


Well I suppose it depends on the bandwidth of their fiber optics. If it is limited enough, they probably have the speed throttled down.

Still it sounds like a good alternative to cable if one doesn't do a lot of downloading where speed important. For loading webpages, you won't notice much difference. Pages you visit a lot are browser cached anyway, and only the differences loaded. Sometimes even those don't reload, and is why you sometimes need to clear cache to see new page changes.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby rabble » Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:I think that is partially right, although the hardware resources needed to keep the speed up are things like fiber optic cable and fast routers. And I imagine the ISP pays for their overall bandwidth to the backbone.

Last I knew, the connection to a T1 line was a monthly fee no matter how much you threw down the pipe. That might have changed by now.

You have to run cable, yeah. But that's a one time cost. The lines that Uverse and Charter are using can handle way more than what they're giving. The more people you hook up, the more equipment you have to throw at them in the form of name servers and routers to keep everybody zipping along, so you have to throttle em right off the bat so they don't notice things slowing down as the customer base increases.
Huckleby wrote:Of course the ISPs are in competition with each other to provide faster bandwidths.

Yeah but they all pay about the same for the equipment and node fees, and they all need an unethical profit, so they're all playing the balancing game with speed vs operating cost. UW needs massive speed just to stay in the game, they don't have stockholders, and I think they're already playing around with Internet2.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6474
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby Huckleby » Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am

rabble wrote: You have to run cable, yeah. But that's a one time cost. The lines that Uverse and Charter are using can handle way more than what they're giving.


Certainly Uverse is throttled way down. I'm not so sure about Charter. They rely on a lot of copper wire. The tech had to change a lot cables and connectors at my location to get higher speed upgrade (done in last three years) to work reliably.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby rabble » Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 am

Huckleby wrote:Certainly Uverse is throttled way down. I'm not so sure about Charter. They rely on a lot of copper wire. The tech had to change a lot cables and connectors at my location to get higher speed upgrade (done in last three years) to work reliably.

I recall Charter running an upgrade some years back, replacing older lines. I would be very surprised if it turned out their cable is what's holding them at their current speeds. If what I hear on the internets is representative, what's holding up the process is assigning IP addresses. Used to be, every computer had its own IP. But there aren't enough digits in a standard IP to go around any more so everybody assigns one IP to a group of computers and uses routers and name servers to assign internal IP addresses within that group, and some places have to do that two or three layers deep, and every layer adds to the time it takes for an electron to get where it's going.

I'm of the opinion that this is what's slowing everybody down, not the cable. But I don't get to hang out much with the network geeks any more so I don't know.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6474
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: My internet is faster than yours!

Postby wack wack » Wed May 22, 2013 8:29 am

Huckleby wrote:Certainly Uverse is throttled way down. I'm not so sure about Charter. They rely on a lot of copper wire. The tech had to change a lot cables and connectors at my location to get higher speed upgrade (done in last three years) to work reliably.


Maybe it depends on where you are and how old the structure is. When I upgraded Charter service from 30 to 100 Mbps, it was a phone call and a 5 minute wait to faster speed, no techs or new wires or connectors required.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3177
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar