MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

I quit Facebook

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: I quit Facebook

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 am

SombreroFallout wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:For the summer, at least. I wrote a column about it for the newspaper where I work now, The Mountain Press of Sevierville, Tenn.

When did this happen? I knew you you're-all-Middle-Tennessee, but if you find East Tennessee less familiar terrain I have extended family all over the area--Sevierville, Maryville, Knoxville and further flung. Couldn't find a means of contact on your profile page.

Thanks! I am indeed from Nashville, but my family is all from East Tennessee, and so is my partner's -- Maryville, Alcoa, Townsend, Sevierville, Knoxville. So I know this area well. We live in Knoxville.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 pm

If you think the entirety of Facebook sucks because the people you follow aren't providing meaningful content, then it might be that you're doing it wrong. My feed has a lot of photos of my friends' kids, but I like to see what they're up to and they like to see what I'm up to. But aside from that, a lot of my friends are good content curators and link to interesting items there that I might not stumble across myself. I try to do likewise (I asked a guy a few weeks ago if he read Deadspin and he said "Only what you post on Facebook.").

I also find Facebook to be indispensable for my job. If you care what activists, special interest groups, bands and other arts groups are up to, you need to be on Facebook. It's how they all announce what they're doing these days. Some use other devices, but they're all on FB. I've developed invaluable contacts there and often get info from people via FB message who would never email or call me with the same stuff.

I also think it's like what John Updike said about TV (I think it was Updike): If you want to participate in the current culture, you need to be paying attention to it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 pm

jjoyce wrote:But aside from that, a lot of my friends are good content curators and link to interesting items there that I might not stumble across myself. I try to do likewise (I asked a guy a few weeks ago if he read Deadspin and he said "Only what you post on Facebook.").

This is also my primary use for Facebook. I could really give a shit that someone's kid just ate some ice cream, but I do have to weed through that crap to see some interesting stuff.

The political stuff, meh. I see the memes and other shit, but it's pretty easy to ignore. It does suck monkey balls during election time. I think the worst was during the protests. I couldn't take it anymore.

Kenneth, you mentioned you have over 1000 friends? That's the problem right there. I'm not sure what your primary use for Facebook is, but unless it's promotion, that amount of people will likely fill your feed with garbage.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games