MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ready for my new phone. Suggestions please

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Ready for my new phone. Suggestions please

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I'm curious about the Windows Phone OS, and the app count doesn't really bother me. I don't use many apps. I actually have recently considered buying the Nokia Lumia 520, the entry level Lumia that costs $99 unlocked, just to fool around with, maybe to use as a media player, like an iPod touch. Might not even activate the phone service. (Tech journalist Paul Thurrott has been advocating this.) App availability aside, I hear good things about Windows Phone. That it's innovative, etc.

I jailbroke my iPhone and ran a Windows phone sim over top of it. I liked it fine but the method of using it was killing my battery life. but the app availability is a big deal. Lots of stuff I use everyday isn't available. No HBO Go, Tempo, Mailbox, Google Maps (sorry I'm not using Bing Maps any sooner than I'm using Apple Maps), AppleTV Remote, or any decent music creation apps to mention.

Oops Mailbox is there but it costs $2.99. the iPhone version was free. Looking at these apps it seems more of them cost money than they do for iOS. The Facebook Pages manager for instance.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 pm

But seriously, if I were going to buy a phone right now, I probably would pay $340 for a no-contract Galaxy S III from Virgin Mobile and get the $35 per month plan for unlimited data, unlimited texts and 300 talk minutes. I'm very pleased with Virgin Mobile, and that's the fanciest Android phone they sell. The disadvantage of prepaid services like Virgin Mobile is that they typically don't get the newest phones right away. The Galaxy S III would be plenty of phone for me.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:But seriously, if I were going to buy a phone right now, I probably would pay $340 for a no-contract Galaxy S III from Virgin Mobile and get the $35 per month plan for unlimited data, unlimited texts and 300 talk minutes. I'm very pleased with Virgin Mobile, and that's the fanciest Android phone they sell. The disadvantage of prepaid services like Virgin Mobile is that they typically don't get the newest phones right away. The Galaxy S III would be plenty of phone for me.

Dammit Ken! I already bought the phone. iPhone 4s for a mere $50. I was anticipating about $300 all told for the Moto X but the option to just plug it into my car and go was too tempting, not to mention they're basically giving them away because the iPhone 5 is on the launchpad. The new iPhones have a different plug-in, btw, so if you have a car that's newer than 2014 (which would be all of us), you can save a lot on accessories by getting the iPhone 4. I already own all of the usb plug-ins, chargers, car port, etc.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:00 am

The 4S should be free on contract as of this Friday? Or maybe last week?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 am

pjbogart wrote:The new iPhones have a different plug-in, btw, so if you have a car that's newer than 2014 (which would be all of us), you can save a lot on accessories by getting the iPhone 4. I already own all of the usb plug-ins, chargers, car port, etc.

Why didn't anyone tell me that everyone else on this forum is from the future?

My iPhone 4 is dying so I'm in the market for a new phone as well. Though, I also want to change carriers as I hate Verizon with a passion I normally reserve only for Charter & Chris Rickert columns. As a couple people alluded to, what is your favorite phone/network combo? Particularly anyone Madison based who does a fair bit of domestic travel.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 am

talagaster wrote:As a couple people alluded to, what is your favorite phone/network combo?

US Cellular with the Galaxy III. Of all the corporations I deal with in life, they are by far my favorite(FWIW). I get great customer service and their plans are reasonable. I have never once had a problem with reception wherever I have been except up in the northwoods and that was just internet service. I also don't think I have ever had a call dropped in the 8+ years I have been with them.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 am

Stebben84 wrote:
talagaster wrote:As a couple people alluded to, what is your favorite phone/network combo?

US Cellular with the Galaxy III. Of all the corporations I deal with in life, they are by far my favorite(FWIW). I get great customer service and their plans are reasonable. I have never once had a problem with reception wherever I have been except up in the northwoods and that was just internet service. I also don't think I have ever had a call dropped in the 8+ years I have been with them.

I would have said that as well but I've heard a lot more complaints lately and people switching because of them. They are also only regional and you will be roaming on either coast.

Bottom line I think they are all pretty terrible and overpriced. I had AT&T for years until I moved to mt. Horeb and my phone wouldn't work in my house. Verizon since then. Entertaining the idea of Sprint but reviews are totally mixed. What I can say is Verizon has the best network. Mine worked in the north woods, on Mt. Hood and in my home. Not sure any of the others would have.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:42 am

I like the coverage with US Cell as well as their very nice customer rewards program. Currently using a Motorola Electrify M (Repackaged Razor M) and have no problems, other than their web site which is about the worst ecommerce site I have ever seen, and a toss up as to it working on any given day.

That said, I'm considering switching carriers if the next Nexus phone doesn't work on US Cellular's network (which is highly likely)

fisticuffs wrote:They are also only regional and you will be roaming on either coast.

You can still get a national plan, which eliminates the roaming charges. Not sure who they've made a deal with for coverage outside of the region. I don't really travel all that much so I can't comment on how good the national coverage is. The local coverage is stellar as far north a Marinette/Menominee.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:You can still get a national plan, which eliminates the roaming charges.

I've got the national plan and I've been on both coasts with no issues whatsoever. Roaming works fine and there are no extra fees.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 pm

The rumor is that US Cellular will have the iPhone by the end of the year. I'm going to switch when they do. I've had the iPhone with both AT&T and Sprint and I haven't been happy with either one. I get a lot of dropped calls even when I have plenty of bars. Other than making calls I've loved the iPhone and I'm hoping switching back to US Cellular will fix the making phone calls problem.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:47 pm

I install, troubleshoot and support various operating systems (both desktop and mobile) as part of the daily gig. I'm pretty much platform agnostic and use all the biggies to one degree or another personally as well as professionally.

I cannot, for the life of me, come up with one good rationale for buying a Windows phone (or pretty much anything running any flavor of the abysmal Windows 8).

If anyone cares to enlighten me, I'm all ears. I think the new Windows interface is the ugliest, most annoying fucking thing I've seen since ... well, maybe ever. There's enough widget animation on the home screen of that fucker to trigger an epileptic fit. Fuck off with the status updates already.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:08 pm

I picked up a Dell laptop with Windows 8 and a touchscreen. I don't mind the tiles and there is alway the ability to go back to the desktop if needed but I've also never used the win phone and that might be an entirely different animal. I would absolutely never want to use 8 without a touch screen. The only thing that makes the OS worth a damn is being optimized for touch.

And for my computer that matters I still use 7.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:18 am

Mean Scenester wrote:I cannot, for the life of me, come up with one good rationale for buying a Windows phone (or pretty much anything running any flavor of the abysmal Windows 8).

Guess I'm kind of a fanboy that way. I started my professional life as a software developer on Microsoft platforms (Firefox for DOS y'all), and the company's products still interest me.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:And for my computer that matters I still use 7.

Well I wish I did. The number of abysmal life decisions I have made because someone approached me while I was in the process of cursing Windows 8 on a laptop without a touch screen is appalling.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games